+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I mentioned marriage counselling to my husband tonight. It's not the first time I've mentioned it either. We are usually pretty good at communicating and sorting through any issues together. But we have this one reoccurring issue that keeps coming up and we can't seem to get past it.

I think a marriage counsellor would help but not if both parties aren't interested. Unfortunately my husband is pretty closed off to the idea of counselling. He didn't really tell me why.

Thanks
    Reviews
    P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What sort of things happen at the session? We need this.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We did it once. I think it helped. We haven't gone again because dh needs to go individually. We were both willing though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We had pre-marriage counselling (marriage preparation course) just before we were married. We both got soooo much out of it. I'd really love to do a follow up now, almost 6 years later. I think it's so much easier to talk about your relationship issues in the presence of a counsellor and when you've dedicated time to specifically that. At home when we try we both just get defensive and it goes no where, round in circles.

As others have said it needs to be a 2 way street. If you both acknowledge you need help and want to make it work then some good counselling should help. It won't help if one partner isn't interested. I think it's really great you want to try, so many people give up without trying.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Gracie's Mum  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Interesting thread