+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I need your most pressing pregnancy/labour questions!

Hi.

My name is Anna and I'm a midwife, naturopath and am pregnant for the first time!

I am planning to write an e-book answering some common pregnancy and labour questions.

I would really love to know your most burning pregnancy or labour questions to include in my e-book to make it as useful to as many people as I can. I figure if I gets heaps of questions, I might even end up writing more than one.

I am planning to spend some time researching, and trying to make the e-book as useful to as many new- and to be- mummas/daddas as I can.

Anyone who has a question that ends up being used in the book, will receive a copy for free.

My ideas so far have been chapters on: Baby carrier selection (I've already found this most confusing - ie hip recommendations), capsule Vs car seat debates, and I'm sure many people will have queries about labour practices - and as a midwife I hope to shed some light on occurances during labour and why things sometimes end up the way they do. Also I figure there may well be some naturopath-related queries also.

Anyhow, I am very open to any questions at all, and hope that through their burning questions, some lovely parents/parents-to-be might be able to help me put together a really great e-book!!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi!
    I know for my first baby, I had prepared for the usual labour and contraction signs - but I didn't get these. Bub was posterior and no-one spoke to me about the labour signs of Bub has moved posterior.
    So there good be a section on labour signs. Obviously this is quite variable. But it would have been helpful to know that not all women will experience 'contractions'. I felt none
    & lied to the midwife on the phone just so that she would admit me!! If I told her I wasn't feeling any, I would not have gone to the hospital and my daughter was born 2 hours later!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm interested in what happens after you've given birth. No one really talks about what happens next and how to take care of your lady parts after delivery. It wasn't even something I'd really thought about until I started trying to get pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd second this... I did a lot of research across a lot of different sites and books, but didn't find anything too comprehensive - I think a section on what you might feel and recovery after birth would be really helpful. I fainted after my son's birth, was not expecting that!

I also think a section on perinatal mental health would be fantastic. I got really quite stressed and anxious during my pregnancy, and then diagnosed with PND (possibly also with PTSD). Info on what, how to recognize it, what to do about it, and supports would be hugely beneficial.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awesome. Thanks so much for the responses so far.

So, so far I'm thinking chapters on perinatal mental health - incl PND; recovery post birth; what to expect when you're in labour - with discussion around the symptoms of a posterior labour.

What else? What about inductions? Caesers?

Please keep the queries coming. Thanks in advance! Getting excited.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can include some relatively detailed information about the pain relief options available in labour, potential interventions (induction methods, episiotomy, instrumental delivery, Caesar, etc), and pregnancy and birth complications (eg. hyperemisis, placenta previa, placenta accretia, pre eclampsia, PPH, PPROM, etc) that would probably be of interest to most people. Actually, have just thought that going through most of the "options" in a birth plan could help to guide some of your writing. Help your readers to make informed choices.

I realise my suggestions so far have been those that will require massive research and references, and possibly suggested further resources, but it's handy to have everything in one place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A lot of books I have read focused on the actual labour and not the part after. Like the birth of the placenta and the pain that comes with it, the gush of the clots and how there will be blood everywhere, what happens if you tear (the different tear types and how they are fixed) I think for me there was kind of a preconceived notion that birth would be this beautiful experience (that I got from books and tv shows and movies) and it was! -but it was also messy and very bloody and painful! If that at all makes sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think some good, common sense, medically proven information on the actual statistics of miscarrying. People count different things (chemical, for example) which is a miscarriage for sure, but that skews the stats quite significantly. I just don't think it's fair to let women think that 70% of pregnancies end in miscarriage! What!? But if you take out the early detections, it sits at a much lower percentage in the first 12 weeks, more like 10-20% if you look into it a bit more. I find at 4weeks pregnant I was looking at the stats going "well, im probably just going to miscarry anyway so I won't get even slightly excited". More research has helped me understand where this massive 70% number has come from and it has helped me stress less.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree wholeheartedly with earthside and where to find USEFUL dr Google sites you can safely rely on rather than people's opinions. Section on medications that are safe in pregnancy. I'm 4.5 weeks pregnant with my first pregnancy, and put up with a terrible sore throat and cough/cold for a week hoping my body would fight it off as it normally would -lowered immune system suggests I do need to take something so good to know about sites like mother safe.org.au which are a great resource. Same thing with what foods to avoid and why. And what to expect re early pregnancy tests and hcg levels and when is too early to test!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Agree wholeheartedly with earthside and where to find USEFUL dr Google sites you can safely rely on rather than people's opinions. Section on medications that are safe in pregnancy. I'm 4.5 weeks pregnant with my first pregnancy, and put up with a terrible sore throat and cough/cold for a week hoping my body would fight it off as it normally would -lowered immune system suggests I do need to take something so good to know about sites like mother safe.org.au which are a great resource. Same thing with what foods to avoid and why. And what to expect re early pregnancy tests and hcg levels and when is too early to test!