+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NoteToSelf View Post
    I hate play centres with a passion. I've made up an excuse to not be able to go to every party the kids have been invited to at one.
    that's a bit unfair on your kids & the birthday child don't you think, to miss out on a party just because you hate play centres?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm not game enough to check BigRedV's link! I'm pretty germ conscious and we don't frequent play centres but I don't think I want know about the extreme grot factor

As for public toilet floors, when I was about 9 years old I slipped over on a wet floor in the toilets of a public pool and grazed my elbow. I ended up having a couple of warts emerge on my elbow afterwards

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    there are germs everywhere. the amount of times i have been at local shopping centres and ladies walk out of the toilet without washing their hands.. then they touch things other people touch in shops..i'm not going to wrap my kids in bubble wrap but obviously things like shoes on in toilets etc apply. a guy i know who has to be the most unhygenic person i have ever seen in my life has rarely been sick so he's proof germs won't kill anyone. my neice and nephew were brought up in bubble wrap and are now allergic to everything. i think it's good to have a bit of both in your balance. as for playcentres, i wash their hands when we leave and straight in the bath when we get home. im not going to have them miss out on fun just because of germs. actually when i think of my childhood in the 80s there were probably even more germs back then and we all survived.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    there are germs everywhere. the amount of times i have been at local shopping centres and ladies walk out of the toilet without washing their hands.. then they touch things other people touch in shops..i'm not going to wrap my kids in bubble wrap but obviously things like shoes on in toilets etc apply. a guy i know who has to be the most unhygenic person i have ever seen in my life has rarely been sick so he's proof germs won't kill anyone. my neice and nephew were brought up in bubble wrap and are now allergic to everything. i think it's good to have a bit of both in your balance. as for playcentres, i wash their hands when we leave and straight in the bath when we get home. im not going to have them miss out on fun just because of germs. actually when i think of my childhood in the 80s there were probably even more germs back then and we all survived.
    You're right.
    And even though I witnessed first hand the extent of the germs, I still take DD to various playcentres at least once a week; if the owners are doing the right thing, the equipment should be sanitized often. The balls are collected in big nets and they use an industrial strength steam hose to clean them. The place I worked at didn't do this often enough, so I don't take DD there.
    If I were to avoid playcentres, I might as well avoid all play equipment, parks, library books, public toilets, the list of potential germy places is endless.
    DD goes to playgroup weekly at a playcentre and has never caught anything. Actually, the sickest she has ever been in her life was after her first week at daycare; she contracted Gastro after 2 days as well as a bad cold and was vomiting for 10 days straight.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-11-2015),LaDiDah  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    that's a bit unfair on your kids & the birthday child don't you think, to miss out on a party just because you hate play centres?
    No

Thanks
    Reviews
    deleted.
    Last edited by GlitterFarts; 09-11-2015 at 10:39.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so completely non germaphobic. Haha.
    My kids wear shoes most places because we walk a lot and if theyre not wearing shoes they get sore feet. So we usually have shoes on, but it's more for protecting their feet from things they could stand on and hurt their feet than it is about germs. If we were at a club my kids would be wearing shoes, because it's just what we do. I would think it weird to go to a club without shoes. BUT if they'd taken their shoes off in the play area and then raced to the toilet without them on, I really wouldn't give it two thoughts. They're going to have a bath/shower when they get home anyway. If they start sticking their feet in their mouths maybe I might freak out, but until then, meh. Kids get dirty feet. They'll live.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haha I was thinking the same thing !! Research has actually shown that children not exposed to germs are more at risk of getting sick and not being able to fight it off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    As for public toilet floors, when I was about 9 years old I slipped over on a wet floor in the toilets of a public pool and grazed my elbow. I ended up having a couple of warts emerge on my elbow afterwards
    Thanks for sharing.
    I remember threads where mums have said they would change bubs nappy on the toilet floor. Imagine warts emerging on bubs bum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Wwyd: another shoes scenario

Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Haha I was thinking the same thing !! Research has actually shown that children not exposed to germs are more at risk of getting sick and not being able to fight it off.
    Yes!

And not to mention the fact that there are probably just as many, if not more germs on things like the kitchen cutting board (which has more faecal matter than your toilet) iPad and phones, door knobs, trolley handles...the list is endless!