+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Babywearing in summer and keeping cool - tips or tricks?

Hoping I can pick your brains on how you stay cool (and keep your bubs cool) while baby wearing in summer?

I had my LO in the Baby Bjorn (I have the Miracle) the other day - it wasn't super hot weather-wise but by the time I'd strolled up the street and back to do a coffee run, I could feel both of us were sweaty where we were chest to chest. When I took off the carrier I had wet patches on my top (charming I know!) and hers was damp too.

I didn't have her in heaps of clothes (just a onesie, it was too cold to have her with bare arms/legs)... are there any tricks to staying cool? I was googling (naturally!) and I saw a couple of US baby wearers use cooling towels between them and bubs?? Sort of like these: https://www.cancercouncilshop.org.au...-cooling-towel - has anyone tried this?

Keen for your advice! thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    http://www.wrapyouinlove.com/summer-babywearing-tips/
    I found the above blog very helpful. Hopefully the link works. She is a babywearing consultant based in Europe.
    I've not tried the cooling thingos, but wore DD for hikes etc in QLD on holidays, by wearing natural fibres, keeping a hat on DD (bed head hats are awesome for baby carriers) we managed fine.
    You will get a sweat patch between you & Bub when it's hot, there's no getting around it!
    If you're in the market for a new carrier the Lillebaby airflow has mesh panels you can unzip to let air in.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

MrsSG  (07-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Not a cooling towel, but I did just used to use a face washers/hand towel inbetween bub's face and my chest, for when baby was asleep with head on my chest.

But the main thing though was my choice of sling on a hot day. My favourite was a cheesecloth cotton wrap sling. So nice and cool. BB's are so thick and synthetic. You're always going to get sweaty in those.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

MrsSG  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing, dd is due early February so would love some tips on baby wearing a newborn in summer

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twolittlemunchkins View Post
    Subbing, dd is due early February so would love some tips on baby wearing a newborn in summer
    If you haven't already got a carrier, think about a lightweight cotton or bamboo wrap or ring sling. They are not hard to use once you watch some online tutorials & have a practice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    If you haven't already got a carrier, think about a lightweight cotton or bamboo wrap or ring sling. They are not hard to use once you watch some online tutorials & have a practice.
    I haven't got a carrier yet. Just sold the toddler Tula I had for ds2 and was planning some sort of ring sling for when Bub is tiny, and another Tula. Will check out cotton and bamboo wraps/ring slings. Thanks 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get something called a frog tog you can get them on eBay or Amazon / you wet it and put it between you and Bub and it keeps you both really cool but doesn't make you wet (which you don't want)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to me+he&she=three For This Useful Post:

MrsSG  (08-11-2015)