+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi @bbhope sorry to hear about your struggles. We went through some difficulties with our little girl and paed diagnosed silent reflux (she's exclusively bf though so slightly different setup to you). Her symptoms were:
    - screaming (hours and hours each day) and generally extremely miserable and unhappy
    - lots of trouble sleeping and nothing would settle her/calm her
    - coughing and congestion
    - chewing
    - absolutely hated laying down or being held in cradle position, much happier sitting upright
    - lots of hiccups
    - arching all the time/ body going stiff as a board in full stretch (in obvious pain)
    The symptoms started around 6 weeks and got steadily worse. She started losec around 10 weeks and within a week I had a totally different baby. The main issue was she wouldn't sleep and while she was awake she was miserable. She cried most of the day - and so did I. Life was awful. She's 18 weeks now and I can do things like put her on the playmat for 20 minutes wow!
    The reflux support association has a list of all the symptoms here: http://www.reflux.org.au/how-reflux-presents/
    If you think it might be reflux it won't hurt to pursue this and trial losec. If there is improvement in about 5 days then you might have your answer. Hoping things get better for you soon.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bel2466: did you start with NAN comfort? We don't know which one to switch to anymore. It hasn't caused any constipation but the gas pain. That's why we decided to stay on it for now. I was told that it takes few weeks to see the effect but so hard to see bub suffering.Sigh..we thought switching would solve all the problems.

Thanks @gingermilie. We have decided to phone paed office tomorrow and see if we can move the appointment up to 5w check instead of 6w. I really hope that he will make some sort of diagnosis rather than just telling me to ride it out for the digestive system to mature. I don't know this paed. He was the dr who checked bub out at the hospital. Yes, bub has become an unhappy baby and miserable since last week. He isn't satisfied after a feed. He refuses to sleep. He woke up all the sudden and scream (nothing to do with hunger!) but feels better with sucking on pacifier and my boob in general.
    @PinkPopsicles: thanks. I'll check it out later. Padbury is pretty far from where i live. We are using infant friends at the moment. I'm not sure it does anything! On the other hand, the traditional oil that my mom brought from home seems to make bub farts a lot to relieve his pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was similar to gingermellies. Screaming hours each day, no happy awake time, either feeding or asleep but sleep was disturbed by gulping and screaming, coughing and sounding stuffy, he posseted but didnt spew unless with bringing up wind. He's breastfed and our winning combination was losec, padbury colic mixture, chiro and me reducing coffee and avoiding the key foods which make wind and reflux worse (which I was avoiding but just started paying more attention)
    I asked our gp for losec and said id stop if it didn't make a difference but I could notice a difference after 2 doses. He's been on it now 2+wks and is so much happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Infants friend is good, we were using that before colic mix. Anything really to help move air out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The Padbury mixture has helped many of my friends babies with colic/reflux. It takes a few days to kick in but it works very well.

Perhaps the pharmacy would consider posting it to you?

Good luck, it can be so difficult to find that balance. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    The Padbury mixture has helped many of my friends babies with colic/reflux. It takes a few days to kick in but it works very well.

Perhaps the pharmacy would consider posting it to you?

Good luck, it can be so difficult to find that balance. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your bub a noisy sleeper? I thought he is a noisy sleeper in early days. Normal. now thinking back, he might be uncomfortable. He makes the sound like he is stretching every so often while sleeping. Bub can't be stretching all the time in the sleep, right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi. I'm sorry you are having some problems with your little man

I too had a baby that didn't stop crying. He was reflux and it was hell. I took him to the pead and he put him on infant gaviscon and then losec

I was told to prop his bassinette head up so that when he was laying down he wasn't flat. It helped ! We also propped up the change table and after every bottle kept him upright. In fact he was hardly ever flat..

I also was told I was over feeding him causing him distress. I always thought that he was hungry when he cried so I'd give him a bottle. But in fact I was making it worse as I was over feeding him. I had to change my thinking and give him a bottle 3-4 hourly not every time he cried

I'm not sure what formula your little man is on but I do know that there are some that are good for reflux babies.

I'm sorry that your having trouble. I know how hard it is to hear them cry and see them in pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you think he has reflux you could try using a thickener in his formula, it can help to stop the feeds coming back up. It can cause some constipation though. What are his poos like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am using nan comfort. I won't use thickener at this stage because we switched formula due to constipation. He is going more regular now. About 4x a day with large and small amount.

Yes, the over feeding part starts to concern me now. While he is on track on weight, he is gaining rapidly. He was born underweight. We are also starting to feed him by the hours. And let him snack on my boobs in between if need be. I have low supply. It makes sense knowing reflux can cause "starvation" mode when they actually just want to get milk to soothe the throat.