+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Thank you @Redcorset. The helpline has always suggested me to rule out medical condition BUT we are just so unlucky with any dr that we have seen so far. GP didn't want to give any advice on the formula. He just suggested us to go to the sleep school and see if the sleep helps. The previous paed is all about PURPLE crying. Our gut feeling has always been something more than the above. MCHN can't give us suggestions on the formula either.Glad to hear that i am crazy thinking there is something else
    Go with your gut. Thats what I did and i was right with my DD and DS for different reasons. Dairy was a problem with both of them but a GP just wouldn't diagnose it. I found natropath websites helpful -- There is lots of information out there suggesting diary can be a problem particularly for young babies/children. It gave them many sypmtoms including pain, bloating, rashes, eczema. I think at this stage for you it would not hurt to give dairy free a go. All the best, I hope you and your DS get some relief soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What do u guys reckon the novalac reflux formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    For ds1 it was good for a couple of months. Once he got to about 6 months it stopped agreeing with him, he was vomiting it up for hours after drinking it and it was thick and chunky vomit, so he was sometimes choking on it. We switched him to nan comfort and he was perfect.

We tried it for ds2 recently. He had one bottle and was vomoting heaps for hours. He also became constipated. He started refusing it, that's when the dr suggested aptamil. It was ok but he had serious wind issues. Since we put him on nan comfort his wind is much better and he's full of smiles. It's such a nice change having a happy bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting because we are actually on nam comfort since 3.5w. And the wind issue hasn't gone away.

Constipation is my worry, that's why hesitate to give novalac a try. Is your DS a spiller? DS has silent reflux so no vomiting.

Good that your dr is willing to give advices. First time at a new GP, asking the referral to sleep school. I asked about the test for lactose intolerance and allergy but was told to wait and see what the sleep school said. Today, I went in to ask for referrals to new paed. Again, asking for tests and formula recommendation. Same answer from the GP. Fuming! Can they do better than writing referrals? I feel like I am constantly doing the research and be my own dr!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting because we are actually on nam comfort since 3.5w. And the wind issue hasn't gone away.

Constipation is my worry, that's why hesitate to give novalac a try. Is your DS a spiller? DS has silent reflux so no vomiting.

Good that your dr is willing to give advices. First time at a new GP, asking the referral to sleep school. I asked about the test for lactose intolerance and allergy but was told to wait and see what the sleep school said. Today, I went in to ask for referrals to new paed. Again, asking for tests and formula recommendation. Same answer from the GP. Fuming! Can they do better than writing referrals? I feel like I am constantly doing the research and be my own dr!
    We had ds2 on nan comfort when he was newborn and it wasn't working, which is why we've been trough so many. Decided to give it another go now he's older and because it was so good for ds1 later on too.
    So far so good. Could be because he's older and his gut is more mature. Formula is such a nightmare when you can't find one that agrees with your bub. I wish i could have breastfed longer but my boobs had other ideas. 😒

Have you got coloxyl drops for constipation? Otherwise infants friend is supposed to be good for keeping bub regular?

If you're unhappy with your current dr maybe find a new one?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Novalac is still a dairy based formula. If the problem was just reflux this could help but I'm not sure from what you've said that it is. You could try Allerpro which has the cows milk protein already broken down so can assist some intolerant babies. Soy formula is a dairy free option - however 50% of cows milk intolerant babies are also intolerant to Soy (my DS is one of those) so Goat milk formula (Karicare) was great for him. No pain, slept well, and easily transferred to the new formula with no issues.
    Do a google search for Cows Milk Protein Intolerance and see if you baby fits the symptoms listed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, I agree with you on having to do your own research. I found the GP's I saw were very lacking in knowledge in the area of Cows Milk Protein Intolerance (CMPI). They have so many areas of medical research to keep up with so I can understand it, but yes it's frustrating when you need answers for your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meandmyboys82 View Post
    We had ds2 on nan comfort when he was newborn and it wasn't working, which is why we've been trough so many. Decided to give it another go now he's older and because it was so good for ds1 later on too.
    So far so good. Could be because he's older and his gut is more mature. Formula is such a nightmare when you can't find one that agrees with your bub. I wish i could have breastfed longer but my boobs had other ideas. 😒

Have you got coloxyl drops for constipation? Otherwise infants friend is supposed to be good for keeping bub regular?

If you're unhappy with your current dr maybe find a new one?

He doesn't have constipation ever since we switched to nan comfort. He had the issue with S26.

Infacol does the magic for bringing up burp. We tried the colic mixture that's recommended by many here in Perth. Unfortunately, it doesn't work out. It was not as effective to bring up burp as infacol. It makes sense because the simethicone dosage is higher in infacol.

I know how it feels like o give up breastfeeding. I feel the same but there are always issues regardless of what method u feed with colic baby. With formula, we sort of solved one of the feeding issues. Eg. Not confusing reflux with hunger. Have a more regular schedule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, now i back to formula question. Gastroentelorogist has suggested us to switch to aptamil HA or allerpro. If it doesn't work, he will put DS on neocate.

I went with the HA given that it is slightly easier to get (still hard). It has been a day and what we find is that 120ml doesn't seem make DS full up to 3hrs. He started to scream bloody murder at 2.5hr mark in the last two feeds. With nan comfort, he eats in between 3.5--4 hrs with the same amount. I can try to give him more but his stomach can't handle that much of liquid. Does any of you have this experience with Aptamil HA?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok, now i back to formula question. Gastroentelorogist has suggested us to switch to aptamil HA or allerpro. If it doesn't work, he will put DS on neocate.

I went with the HA given that it is slightly easier to get (still hard). It has been a day and what we find is that 120ml doesn't seem make DS full up to 3hrs. He started to scream bloody murder at 2.5hr mark in the last two feeds. With nan comfort, he eats in between 3.5--4 hrs with the same amount. I can try to give him more but his stomach can't handle that much of liquid. Does any of you have this experience with Aptamil HA?
    The amounts on the can are just recommended, you can give more or less. My ds2 is "supposed" to be drinking 180ml for his age but still drinks only the 150ml. And that's generally every 4 hours. He is small though, but def chunking on the weight lately I've noticed, so he's not going hungry!!
    What did the dr say in regards to anounts and frequency of feeds?
    Also if he's going through a growth spurt he will feed more often anyway. My ds2 recently went through one and he was feeding every 2.5 to 3 hours instead of 4 hourly. That lasted about 4 days, and he even woke up at 3am one of the nights for a bottle! Not normal for him!! And then he settled down again and went back to the 4 hours.

I'm not 100% sure but do the HA formulas metabolise quicker because the proteins are already broken down alot for the sensitive tummies? If so, maybe that's why he's feeding more on this formula?
    Take note of the feeding cues he gives and feed him as he's hungry. My dr said not to strictly follow the feeding guide on the can as every baby is different, it is just a general guideline. If you're concerned you can ask you MCHN or dr, or even call the careline on the can if there is one. Good luck!