+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I need opinion. Bub had constipation problem with formula before. I was thinking to change formula because his gas problem doesn't seem to show any improvement. He is 10w now. Today, the nurse suggests to add thickener to help with the reflux. She said no need to add to the full bottle. Just a bit at the beginning of the feed. Does this sound right? We hesitate to change formula because we just don't know the source of the problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Changing formulas I've heard can cause gut issues.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (18-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    I need opinion. Bub had constipation problem with formula before. I was thinking to change formula because his gas problem doesn't seem to show any improvement. He is 10w now. Today, the nurse suggests to add thickener to help with the reflux. She said no need to add to the full bottle. Just a bit at the beginning of the feed. Does this sound right? We hesitate to change formula because we just don't know the source of the problem.
    Changing formulas too much will cause issues. If Bub is constipated you can give him some water with brown sugar or some prune juice. My reflux son had thickener in his bottles worked really well.

Another thing you can do for constipated babies is give a suppository.

Always make sure their anus has some Vaseline rubbed around it. When they start to poo they may pass hard bits and it may cause issues so from experience I learnt to keep anus lubricated to avoid tearing from hard poop

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh..we haven't had any constipation problem since we switched to nan comfort. I am just thinking about switching because it shows no sign of improvement for the tummy gas pain. But switching can cause gut issue like everyone said. Perhaps i just have to wait it out.

As for the thickener, will it cause constipation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Oh..we haven't had any constipation problem since we switched to nan comfort. I am just thinking about switching because it shows no sign of improvement for the tummy gas pain. But switching can cause gut issue like everyone said. Perhaps i just have to wait it out.

As for the thickener, will it cause constipation?
    The thickener shouldn't cause issues. Back when my ds was bad with reflux we were told by paed to give him a teaspoon of farex before each bottle to help the reflux. He was 7 weeks old when we started that and it helped a lot.

For the gas issue are u burping him mid feed? If he falls asleep feeding u need to wake him up and burp him. I used to have to put a cool wit washer on his foot to wake him up during a bottle or tickle his feet lol. Have u tried wind drops? How fast is the teat flow? Too much air intake will make a tummy gassy.

How often does he have a bottle?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't burp him mid feed. It used to be hard getting him burp. Ever since we started the infacol, it has improved. We r now trying the colic mixture that perthies recommended. It is similar to infacol and supposed to relax the gut to help passing trapped wind.

However, his tummy pain is still an issue. Like now, he has another episode of tummy pain which makes me thinking to switch formula. This is like every early morning hrs (night feed). Neither of us get sleep. We only switched once due to constipation. That's when he was 4w old. He is now 10w+. We tough it out for another tin of nan comfort because the worries of more issues. I just don't see any improvement with tummy pain. Don't know what to switch to. Maybe HA? Karicare?

We r using the super slow teat. DS has to work hard to get the milk out. This was suggested by the CHN at 3w old. After the visit at Ngala, we r actually going to switch to a slow teat, which the milk actually comes out on its own when you tilt. DS tends to fuss toward the end of the bottle which the lady at ngala suggests that the teat is too slow for him and he is getting frustrated. I am using few pigeon bottles and pigeon teat on avent bottles. I don't know if it matters but will just provide as much info here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is the formula too thick and thus hard to digest (I know he has reflux and needs thick formula)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't used any thickener. It was suggested due to his reflux problem but we are worried about the constipation. That's why we haven't tried it just yet. The constipation might just be one off problem with that specific formula but we are too scare to add thickener. Every time he has an episode of severe tummy pain, the thought of changing the formula comes back.

I am very keen to find a pead who is willing to run some tests. Allergy, intolerance etc. It is just so heartache to see the agony going since he was 3w old. The paed we saw only suggested PURPLE crying. While he has PURPLE crying which peaks at 7w, something else is certainly bothering his stomach. He always seems uncomfortable after giving a bottle or BM. Ever since we got back from the Ngala for sleep training, he certainly is getting more sleep, less crying, he is passing wind, so why is he still in pain as much as he was before? I know that he has to out grow it but no sign of improvement. He is on losec so that should help as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This sounds just like my ds. He screamed in pain in the early hours of each day. It stopped the day I took him off dairy. Goat formula worked well for him. Allerpro also stopped the pain but gave him yukky green poo. The paed allergist didn't bother testing him because his sister is intolerant and it didn't show up on tests. He just assumed he was the same. If symptoms improve without dairy they assume it's intolerance. I was also initially told by paed and a midwife it was colic but it wasn't

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @Redcorset. The helpline has always suggested me to rule out medical condition BUT we are just so unlucky with any dr that we have seen so far. GP didn't want to give any advice on the formula. He just suggested us to go to the sleep school and see if the sleep helps. The previous paed is all about PURPLE crying. Our gut feeling has always been something more than the above. MCHN can't give us suggestions on the formula either.Glad to hear that i am crazy thinking there is something else
    Last edited by bbhope; 20-12-2015 at 13:44.