+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default formula related problem?

Bbhope, you poor thing. I know this is not going to help you now, but this will pass. Ask for and accept as much help as you can and get as much sleep as possible. It is important you rest.

I live NOR. I'm happy to help you get your hands on the padbury mixture if you want to give it a go. I could perhaps post it to you as I don't go SOR very often. Please pm me if I can help.
    Last edited by Olive Oil; 28-11-2015 at 08:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    He doesnt sleep in the pram. I tried. I took a walk one night when he didn't sleep after 3 hrs. I couldn't settle him. He sort of fell asleep but just like every other time, he fight the sleep.

Interesting enough. Every now and then when we couldn't settle him early on after a feed and he has his eyes wide open despite yawning, we put him in the cot with music mobile. He enjoys "talking" to the music mobile. Of course, this doesn't last long. He cries 5 mins later.
    @Olive Oil: I have a colleague lives NOR. I might be able to get her to help me out with the padbury mixture.

We are now trying to control his feed even more BUT is water a good substitute of formula? I read that baby shouldn't drink a lot of water because they have enough from formula. I don't want to give him more formula now if 3 hrs isn't up.

As for carrier, once DH is home, I'll get him help with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is the milk flow too strong? I know I have a really strong flow and my babies spew huge amounts because of it. I have to feed reclining

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please don't give him water - little babies cannot cope with water as it affects their electrolyte balances and can overwhelm the kidneys and can be very dangerous. Bub needs to get al his hydration and nutrition from milk (formula or breast).
    how is his weight gain?
    Have you been to your child health service?
    Have you considered seeing a different paed for a second opinion?
    Get into the day service with ngala as a start. I think you've got a complex cycle of feeding issues, settling issues, overtiredness which are all feeding into each other (you know this too). Keep trying to get the professional help you need.
    Having been through something similar with my DD who is now 5 months old I know how horrible it is. I was drowning. What helped us is losec (discuss with dr to increase your dose @bbhope), and me seriously learning about awake times, overtiredness, tired signs, sleep environment, settling and removing stimulation. I was dragging DD into the living room during the day in her bassinet to sleep by the window with the tv on in the background, lights on etc and whilst some babies can handle it mine can't. At 10 weeks I put her in darkened bedroom for all day sleeps with loud white noise and she's tightly wrapped and the cot is on wheels to gently rock the cot to settle her. We also had to buy a new car seat and pram as she wasn't happy with the ones we had and screamed in them. If you're using a bassinet in pram try just using the pram seat. Mine hated the pram bassinet due to reflux and my new pram faces me (old one didn't which evidently was a problem) and she'll happily sit in it for a couple of hours staring at me. She didn't like the car seat as it had too much padding around her head so we got a more basic one and she happily chats away in the car. Sometimes it's just chipping away trying different things no matter how silly they seem and something might work which improves your life straight away.
    She barely cries now and our lives have turned around completely. You'll get there soon but just need to do whatever you can to get through this time. Take care of yourself as much as you can.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

ilex  (01-12-2015),Redcorset  (28-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (28-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If he hasn't improved with losec could you go back to the dr to try a different dose or different type of medication?
    I would consider eliminating dairy. The symptoms can be similar to reflux and colic. My DS used to scream after feeds and struggle to pass poos. I put him on Allerpro formula and the crying stopped straight away and later he went on goats milk formula with great success. If you wish to continue BF you would need to eliminate all dairy from your diet also.
    I really feel for you, its so hard. Sounds like you are at the point of needing to try something else if he's not improving.
    Hang in there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Please don't give him water - little babies cannot cope with water as it affects their electrolyte balances and can overwhelm the kidneys and can be very dangerous. Bub needs to get al his hydration and nutrition from milk (formula or breast).
    how is his weight gain?
    Have you been to your child health service?
    Have you considered seeing a different paed for a second opinion?
    Get into the day service with ngala as a start. I think you've got a complex cycle of feeding issues, settling issues, overtiredness which are all feeding into each other (you know this too). Keep trying to get the professional help you need.
    Having been through something similar with my DD who is now 5 months old I know how horrible it is. I was drowning. What helped us is losec (discuss with dr to increase your dose @bbhope), and me seriously learning about awake times, overtiredness, tired signs, sleep environment, settling and removing stimulation. I was dragging DD into the living room during the day in her bassinet to sleep by the window with the tv on in the background, lights on etc and whilst some babies can handle it mine can't. At 10 weeks I put her in darkened bedroom for all day sleeps with loud white noise and she's tightly wrapped and the cot is on wheels to gently rock the cot to settle her. We also had to buy a new car seat and pram as she wasn't happy with the ones we had and screamed in them. If you're using a bassinet in pram try just using the pram seat. Mine hated the pram bassinet due to reflux and my new pram faces me (old one didn't which evidently was a problem) and she'll happily sit in it for a couple of hours staring at me. She didn't like the car seat as it had too much padding around her head so we got a more basic one and she happily chats away in the car. Sometimes it's just chipping away trying different things no matter how silly they seem and something might work which improves your life straight away.
    She barely cries now and our lives have turned around completely. You'll get there soon but just need to do whatever you can to get through this time. Take care of yourself as much as you can.
    Excellent advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @bbhope hang in there. You are right now in the worst period for crying. It will get better

Thanks
    Reviews
    My breasts, yes, when are full. He hates it because it is ****ing out non stop. I have to put a tissue or cloth to stop it when he pulls the nipple out angrily. With bottle, we have changed all teats to super slow flow. He seems ok with it.

He is gaining a lot. That's why we r trying to cut back. 5.7kg at 70 percentile. No sign of stopping.

Yes, we have a different child health nurse. Not much help either. We moved so will be at a different center next time.

Paed just says purple crying. Normal. Losec doesn't seem to help so no need to increase. He is on 3ml twice a day. Well, we aren't going back to the same paed due to an hr drive one way now. I am thinking to try gp? There is one within walking distance to my new home. Also, it is extremely quiet on the new house so no more overstimulation when my mom was around. He tends to startle with every single noise so that could be it. White noise doesn't do anything.

No water. How to stop him from demanding sucking from bottle? Pacifier doesn't seem to help. I even bought a different one.

No pram bassinet. Just front facing pram.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default formula related problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    If he hasn't improved with losec could you go back to the dr to try a different dose or different type of medication?
    I would consider eliminating dairy. The symptoms can be similar to reflux and colic. My DS used to scream after feeds and struggle to pass poos. I put him on Allerpro formula and the crying stopped straight away and later he went on goats milk formula with great success. If you wish to continue BF you would need to eliminate all dairy from your diet also.
    I really feel for you, its so hard. Sounds like you are at the point of needing to try something else if he's not improving.
    Hang in there
    I also had to use losec and eliminate dairy & soy for my bubs to settle. A revision of your losec dose would be a start - some bubs need more than others and my GP said it often took a bit of experimenting to get the correct dose.
    @gingermille also gave some great advice. Its so overwhelming but by breaking it down and tackling all the areas I'm sure you will get there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try different dummies. I went thru about ten different ones to find one that my kids liked.

Definitely suggest a stronger dose of losec. And maybe gripe water?

My kids were epic spewers and that was due to the strong flow of milk from my boobs. Then they had tummy aches from the strong flow. So I had to and still do bicycle legs to help .y dd3 fart. I block feed and also feed lying down or reclined but by now dd3 is 8wks old and can handle my milk better so less screaming in the evening.