+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    yes not flat. But how much tilt do i need? On losec but it doesnt seem helping. I think the colicness is more of an issue atm. he is catnapping. he cries when he wakes up, after feed etc. Just a miserable baby. I feel like a long way before the colicness is over.
    We always put the bassinette on bricks. One on each wheel at the top of the bassinette and none on bottom. Same with change table. Pram he was never flat from birth . I can't help with colic sorry. My boy was put on losec from 2 weeks of age. it's awful seeing them in pain. The trick I learnt was never having him flat. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bbhope I feel for you I really do. It's so exhausting physically and emotionally. First and foremost how are YOU doing? Do you have support? It can be hard when bubs is like that as you feel like you don't want to "burden" anyone else. My DS was exactly the same, and can still be to an extent. My mum is scared to have him as she just can't get him to settle. Hubby still has issues as well.

I'm not familiar with the losec. How long has he been on it now? If you have seen no improvement I would be more inclined to say he is overtired.

How does he sleep at night? Does he just catnap through the day?

My DS is now 15 weeks and is he better. His purple crying definately peaked around 6-8 weeks and now is a bit better but that's because I am more accustomed on the best way to get him to sleep. Which is still changing mind you. He used to be able to be rocked to sleep but now fights that like no tomorrow. Goes stiff as a board if you try. Now I either have to just prop him up on my lap facing everything that's going on and rock him on the glider chair. Or failing that just lay down next to him on the bed, but can't touch him, and just keep putting the dummy in till he goes of by himself. He still cries before this though and a fair bit. I think he just needs this release before going off, kinda like his winding down.

He catnaps through the day and will need to be put back to sleep either straight away or within 20 mins otherwise he just gets inconsolable. He is however perfect at night.

Sorry for the ramble. Hopefully there is something helpful in all of that, as it does seem to me that he could be overtired.

I know you have probably heard this over and over but it does get better it really does x

Thanks
    Reviews
    is there anyone who can help you ? Give you some time out? I know at times I felt so overwhelmed with a screaming baby and I was exhausted. A friend took him for the day and I slept and I felt better. It also helped having someone to chat to about it. It's been 20 years since I had my son and to this day I remember the stress and the exhaustion. It does get better trust me but you need support. I hope you have a support network. Please feel free to pm me if u ever need to vent. Not sure where u live but I wish I could come help. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    @bbhope there are lots and lots of families who choose and prefer to cosleep. You can make it safer:

- no alcohol or drugs
    - no smoking for anyone who sleeps with the baby (even if not smoking around the baby, chemicals can remain on skin and breath).
    - get rid of pillows, blankets and just lie flat like the baby in your pyjamas
    - dads are less in tune to the baby compared with mum so only have dad in the bed if he's a light sleeper.
    - no long hair/ribbons/belts/string etc that could wrap around the baby

The benefits are that it's easier to breastfeed overnight and babies are calmer and easier to get to sleep.

I'm cosleeping all the time at the moment - it makes bedtime so much easier. My husband sleeps in another room and we are both much happier.

Another option is to side car a cot, by choosing a cot where one side can be removed and securely attaching it to your bed. Again care needs to be taken to ensure no gaps can form. Advantages of this kind of cosleep we are you can lie in there (your top half at least, to feed bubba to sleep then just wriggle out to your bit of the bed).

It's what I do. There's lots you can read about cosleeping if you choose to look into it - Google Dr James McKenna who is a big advocate of it.

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1448619081.914694.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (27-11-2015),Wise Enough  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Ps not sure if you're still doing the occasional breastfeed but lying down to feed can be a great way to calm baby and get you some rest as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. Bub is now in my arms on the glider chair. I don't have any support. We moved early this week. Friends are living far away. They have young kids of their own to worry. DH works from 8--6pm.

I am clearly not doing well. I think we are feeding him too much and thus making reflux and colic worse. We tried very hard to cut him down without success. That's every 3hrs but we r lucky if we can pass 2hrs without giving him a bottle! We really tried to settle him in between. Certainly overtired. He hardly sleeps! He would wake up from 5--1hr. On a good day, 2hrs if lucky. The recent trend is refusing to sleep on his own. He needs to be held. Even so his sleep doesn't last long. I am not eating well......

Called the Perth ngala. All they can offer is more cuddles. Cut down feed. I just don't know how. 7w is still a pretty young baby.

He is behaving similarly last night. Also, if he is hungry, he can't wait for the bottle to warm up. It becomes a very distress crying. He has started to refuse taking my breasts. I keep the BF going because I feel like closeness and bonding. Now it us making him so upset that I don't even feel like BF him anymore. This kinda answer my question of when I would stop BF. I still express but with little sleep and no free hand to eat or do anything else, that's my least priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    Thanks ladies. Bub is now in my arms on the glider chair. I don't have any support. We moved early this week. Friends are living far away. They have young kids of their own to worry. DH works from 8--6pm.

I am clearly not doing well. I think we are feeding him too much and thus making reflux and colic worse. We tried very hard to cut him down without success. That's every 3hrs but we r lucky if we can pass 2hrs without giving him a bottle! We really tried to settle him in between. Certainly overtired. He hardly sleeps! He would wake up from 5--1hr. On a good day, 2hrs if lucky. The recent trend is refusing to sleep on his own. He needs to be held. Even so his sleep doesn't last long. I am not eating well......

Called the Perth ngala. All they can offer is more cuddles. Cut down feed. I just don't know how. 7w is still a pretty young baby.

He is behaving similarly last night. Also, if he is hungry, he can't wait for the bottle to warm up. It becomes a very distress crying. He has started to refuse taking my breasts. I keep the BF going because I feel like closeness and bonding. Now it us making him so upset that I don't even feel like BF him anymore. This kinda answer my question of when I would stop BF. I still express but with little sleep and no free hand to eat or do anything else, that's my least priority.
    I so wish I could come to you and help you. I know how awful it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I so feel for you. It's so tough. My son had terrible reflux and I found the overtiredness was just the absolute worst thing ever for him. Getting him to sleep before he got tired coupled with medication definitely helped. It took a lot of time and hard work to break the cycle, and he was still really unsettled but it was a definite improvement. He also wanted to be held all of the time and so I wore him and coslept just to get through it. I fed him laying down while we slept (but over feeding wasn't an issue, he wasn't gaining weight probably due to all of the projectile vomiting). I would strongly encourage you to get some help with breaking the cycle of overtired baby. Please contact your child health nurse and ask them to refer you to get some help with sleep and settle, they might have a local service or there might be a tresillian service they can link you in with. Do what you need to do to get through each day. And mostly, try to look after yourself. Your beautiful baby needs his mumma to eat so you can look after him. Big hugs xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    I co-slept with him several times on a queen bed. Even if I wasn't, I was sleeping on a bed next to his cot. DH is always in our bedroom so at least one person can have a decent sleep.

As for overtired. We pretty much him straight to sleep after feed and he is such a light sleeper. He just won't stay asleep. Over an hr period, we have to constantly go to the room and resettle him. Sometime i feel like we leave no time for tummy time. Or even take him out of the house for a walk in the pram. Everyday is like a battle and is getting worse with his crying. It used to be a reason but not anymore.

Child health nurse, paed all told me that there isn't much they can do for colic. Other than to ride it out. it will get better. Sigh. Only getting worse each day with the crying.

Ngala said I can join the day camp. However judging from the phone call, it sounded like 7w is still a young baby and his behaviour is normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will he sleep in the pram or a Carrier or swing? All three of my kids ONLY slept in there for first six months.
    Don't worry about bad habits or sleeping in his cot. Just get him to sleep as he is over tired.

When my kids have lost the plot I put them in the carrier, plug in headphones and go for a walk. Crying sounds less annoying outside and the closeness calms bub. Also being upright might soothe his throat.

Can you up your dosage of losec?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (28-11-2015),gingermillie  (28-11-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (28-11-2015)