+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Over emotional 4yo boy

Hi everyone! Is it normal for a 4yo boy to be extremely emotional about... Well everything!!

He cries for every reason imaginable. We had a complete breakdown last night because we used the last night time nappy. (I tried calming him down - telling him I would buy more today etc...)

Is this behavior normal?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kleep81 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (07-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One of my 4yr old twin boys is the same! Iv just thought it was who he is and tried to deal with it as best it could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4 yo daughter can be a bit like that. She probably has a meltdown over things that seem very minor (to me...) a few times every day. Stuff like, my going outside for a few minutes, or having to wear clothes, or eating a certain food. I think this age can be a little challenging for them, sort of between toddler/childhood.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 4yo does when she's very tired. Takes weeks for her to recover from a big weekend. When I picked her up from care the other day she melted down because we went through the yard to get DD2 not the hallway. Then when we got in the car she melted down again because DD2 was in different clothes than we had dropped her off in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow. I'm glad it's not just us. Don't get me wrong, DS is such a gorgeous and loving kid it's just you start to question everything as a parent. If we didn't, who would? it's our job.

It's so frustrating and he really doesn't want to listen when you try to talk to him and calm him down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm dealing with the same thing. DD is about to turn 4. It's driving me CRAZY 😬

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My 4 year old ins like that... It's worse when he's tired or we've tried to fit too many activities in a day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Normal! Particularly if tired!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've found four to be quite a challenging age for me as a parent and so I think it's even harder for the child.
    Lots of raw emotion, struggling to self regulate, anger and huge distress at such seemingly small things.
    My youngest has just turned four and sobbed for twenty minutes this evening because we didn't have any olives and he doesn't really even like olives!
    Fun times!
    I've found that for my kids I will attempt to calm or offer a hug/cuddle and if that doesn't help, I just tell them I love them and can see that they are sad/frustrated/angry etc.... (whatever word fits) and that I'm here if they do want a cuddle.
    Sometimes I think they just need the space to feel the feelings.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (08-11-2015),MsViking  (09-11-2015)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The best description I've ever heard of 4 year old boys- 'it's like living with a tiny romantic poet' constant tantrums, flailing and histrionics. Ride it out! They do get better x

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (08-11-2015),MrsA2B  (08-11-2015)