+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Child going bright red in the sun

So the first time this happened, I'm ashamed to say I didn't put a hat or sunscreen on DS. He was out for about 20 minutes or so and came in bright red and I was hysterical and felt so guilty thinking he was sunburnt. After awhile (maybe an hour or two?), he was back as pale as anything.

Since then I've been completely paranoid and slathering him in sunscreen and forcing him to wear a hat but it still happens. Daycare were freaking out yesterday when it happened. At first the girl who noticed thought they hadn't put sunscreen on him but the other girls assured her they had, so then they thought that maybe it was a reaction to the sunscreen which I don't think it was since the first time it happened none was involved.

Has anyone else had this happen with their children? Is it possible he's allergic to the sun? I know that sounds ridiculous! Also, if it helps, my mother is Welsh and I have super pale skin and burn very easily in the sun. I also have Rosacea and get flushed but this is not just his face, it's every exposed bit of skin, face, neck, hands, arms, legs and feet!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is possible to be 'allergic' to the sun.
    My daughter's syndrome comes with this 'sensitivity '... it does present like an allergy.
    I don't know if your little guy is similar but yeah. ..my daughter goes very very red. ..like sunburn. But it often fades quickly too. She's very pale too. I use that sun sense 50+ stuff as recommended by our paed. Plus hat etc. And long sleeve rashie at beach etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (07-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    It is possible to be 'allergic' to the sun.
    My daughter's syndrome comes with this 'sensitivity '... it does present like an allergy.
    I don't know if your little guy is similar but yeah. ..my daughter goes very very red. ..like sunburn. But it often fades quickly too. She's very pale too. I use that sun sense 50+ stuff as recommended by our paed. Plus hat etc. And long sleeve rashie at beach etc.
    That sounds exactly the same! Does it happen to your daughter on her exposed skin even when you do have the 50+ sunscreen on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She does tend to go quite red. But way more noticeable in her face than anywhere else. I do try to cover her a lot though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both of my boys go bright red in the sun and if they are running around a lot. I wouldn't have thought it would be an allergic reaction to the sun, rather than the skin they have. I would just continue with the sun protection and make sure they have lots of water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How does his unexposed skin look?

Me and my DS2 go really red when we are even slightly warm, it is mostly in the face though.
    I just get used to the horrified looks and stupid comments that "OMG look how sunburnt he is, didn't you use sunscreen?"