Building company name | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Building company name

DH is a builder (carpenter by trade) and is about to start working for himself. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as a name for his company? Our last name is a bit hard to pronounce (not spelt phonetically) so I'm not sure it would be appropriate to include this in his company.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also any advice about starting a business would be greatly appreciated! I would probably help with the paper work and do the finances so it's best if I take a course...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    A lot of private builders we know (DP is a plasterer so we know many builders) use initials of family members as business names or parts of their names to make up a 'word'.

Soon I'm going to take over the bookkeeping for my DP. I'm considering doing a bookkeeping course so that I can combine it with my real estate background and possibly get into that area once DD has finished chemo and started school. But even if I didn't do a course I don't think it's that hard with the right computer software.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (07-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Building company name

I'm an accountant and bookkeeper.

Honestly I don't think it's a very difficult job but there are tricky parts and they can have a big impact on $$$.

When I took over my DHs business accounting/bookkeeping I found out that the prior 3 professional bookkeepers stuffed it up.
    They didn't get the GST invoice of the products DH import right in the system which in turn made DH business pay more GST than he should have had.

I corrected it but you would have thought that 3 bookkeepers and 1 CA would have picked it up?!

Anyway my point is : proceed with caution. And I found the bookkeeper diploma very light in substance.
    I believe the best is to find a good mentor, either a CA/CPA or a seasoned bookkeeper through a professional association.

Good luck!
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 07-11-2015 at 22:04.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

babybeanie  (07-11-2015),My Beloved Ones  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    are you chartered or CPA? I'm CA over here 😜

book keeping is easy I agree, but you need to know the software well and like the PP said, you need to know what you're doing. an accountant's worst nightmare is a myob file that someone has thrown together who clearly has no idea. honestly some of the "book keepers" out there should be shot lol 😂😂

definitely agree with having someone mentor you. depending on which software you end up using, an into course to how to use it might also be useful.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babybeanie  (07-11-2015),My Beloved Ones  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I'm with excusemyfrench & turquoisecoast. Worked in accounting field with both bookkeepers & accountants for over 16 years. Just like most industries there's good and bad but some of the work done by bookkeepers has been shockingly bad and ends up costing the end client (your business) more in either taxes or accounting fees to fix the problems.

I also do the books & admin for DH's importing/warehousing business and with the right accounting software it can make life a bit easier. Find someone (through word of mouth or a trusted recommendation) and get some assistance, touch base with them regularly while setting up the company and getting used to the bookkeeping. Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeanie For This Useful Post:

My Beloved Ones  (08-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    F-

Are the mentors in certain areas i am bit concerned in that area?

We are about to do the same. But plumbing.

I have business certs but wasn't sure which other certificate to do. I was thinking small business or would that be wrong too? Ahh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    F-

Are the mentors in certain areas i am bit concerned in that area?

We are about to do the same. But plumbing.

I have business certs but wasn't sure which other certificate to do. I was thinking small business or would that be wrong too? Ahh!
    what area do you mean?