+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Ds1 getting tonsils removed, what to expect?

Ds1 who is 6yrs old is getting his tonsils removed (and grommets) in 2 weeks. What should I expect for the days after surgery? Any tips to help with the pain, good things to eat/drink?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD had hers out at not quite 3, so quite a bit younger. She was in a fair bit of pain afterwards but it varies greatly between kids. Some kids cope really, really well. The pain is generally the worst the 24 hours or so after and then 5-10 days after the operation as the scabs that have formed start to slough off.
    In terms of food, I found this was the time to relax about what she was eating and just get anything possible into her. Although it's tempting to just give ice cream, custard and soft cool things, it's recommended to give rougher foods as well like toast as it helps the throat to heal faster.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of pain relief, if he is in some pain, don't wait until that pain starts getting bad before giving meds, keep to a schedule to keep on top of it. It might only be necessary to do that for a few days. If he needs to be on pain meds for awhile, I would suggest giving something for constipation as well (my DD got very blocked up after about 2 weeks).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The more they eat the better they heal. So stock up on all his favourite foods. It stops the scar forming.

When DD woke up she was hysterical, it was horrible to watch. But an hour later she was back in the room eating ice team.

Take your own doona and pillow to make it more homey.

After we got home she slept with me for a few nights.

Since my DD is an eater, she healed with no issues. Had them out on the Thursday and was back at care on the Tuesday!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Ds1 getting tonsils removed, what to expect?

Thanks a lot for the tips.

He isn't fussy with food so fingers crossed he keeps eating as normal and bounces back quickly. Good idea on bringing his doona and pillow, I wouldn't have thought of that.

He's had anaesthetic twice before and wakes up from it fine, just groggy and a little confused so not nervous about that. The last time was for grommets and adenoids and about 2 hours after he woke from the surgery he was bouncing around like nothing had happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just keep up the fluids and the pain meds (on a schedule, don't wait for the pain to start). And offer cool foods, not necessarily soft foods. My DD was 3.5 when she had hers done and ate cucumber, sultanas, chilli chips (!), but passed up ice cream and jelly. Bank on about two weeks recovery; believe the docs when they say that! They do pick up and then crash again and are extra snugly. If you can, look at it as a time just to chill and snuggle with your LO and just take it slow. I was lucky enough to have the two weeks of the school hols with mine (I'm a teacher) and she needed that time.

Oh, and tell your LO about the procedure and what is going to happen. We did that and she was fine. Not scared or anything about what was happening. The nurses commented that most kids are terrified because they do not know what was going on. We also made it special with a new pair of pjs and some new toys. She loves telling the story of her tonsils to any who will listen!
    Last edited by MunchkinsMum1; 06-11-2015 at 22:15.