Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    So you already have a rug over the tiles by the couch, is that right? I don't think there's any issue here at all. He will most likely fall, and it will be fine. This is literally not an issue.
    People aren't trying to be rude to you OP, they are just trying to explain that the issue here is your own anxiety and nothing else. Toddlers fall down, the end.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015),misho  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    So you already have a rug over the tiles by the couch, is that right? I don't think there's any issue here at all. He will most likely fall, and it will be fine. This is literally not an issue.
    People aren't trying to be rude to you OP, they are just trying to explain that the issue here is your own anxiety and nothing else. Toddlers fall down, the end.
    Yes, this exactly. The same as how they only ever touch the oven once while it's on. They're amazingly robust!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Climbing on the couch

Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Depends on the rug though. I don't agree she automatically has nothing to worry about.

I am personally someone who doesn't like my kids to land heavily off furniture. We put gates at the top and bottom of stairs. I would also worry about a toddler falling off a couch if it could mean a trip to the ER. I have 4 kids and yep they fall often and they learn but I also do things to try and limit the pain of those falls.

I know the OP has anxiety. She knows she has anxiety. I don't think her concerns are always because she is anxious. It's a contributor sure but I think it's a valid question to ask.

Telling an anxious person they're being anxious over and over again seems a bit harsh to me.

She's said she'll move furniture and put more cushioning down and keep trying to teach him. Not much more you can do I don't think.
    Last edited by Sonja; 05-11-2015 at 22:33.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    These days I let my toddler jump or climb on the couch.... I barely bat an eye anymore But I didnt let my first child climb on the couch. If there is something I dont want my child doing, I am ok with telling them no,its not safe. I am the parent and try to make that decision for what I feel is safe for my child.
    If I am telling the 1-2 year old not to do something, I make it short,sharp and to the point. No faffing about with 'please dont do that, its not safe'. A 1 year old dosnt care about 'safe'. I would personally say 'NO! Don't climb on the couch.' & place them on the floor/ sit them on their bottom/etc. I would then redirect. They might chuck a tanty, which I ignore. But if you let him climb on the couch, kids fall all the time. My 1 year old had a broken limb & it was fine & the world didnt end. But that being said, YOU are the parent. He is the child. Its up to you to direct his behaviour,because after one comes the terrible twos,& they are NOT easy, for anyone! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Climbing on the couch

OP you need to be careful you don't make your son scared and pass your own anxieties on to him, this all sounds very normal and not a life threatening situation.

Put some throw pillows in the corners to soften the arms, be consistent with showing him how to slide down backwards, if he's being unsafe, ask him to stop, if he doesn't, set him on the floor and say 'you are not sitting on your bottom I can't let you be on the couch right now'.

Kids will sometimes hurt themselves, but they also need to learn to explore, climb, test their bodies and cause and effect.

If you want him to learn climbing/balancing skills enrol him in a kinder gym program.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 05-11-2015 at 22:43.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I brought 'bumpa' mats for our lounge and play area. The foam padded type but they are all in one piece not the join together ones.

Im sure it saved my lil guys head, arms, legs and more on countless occasions. Well worth the investment in my opinion.

Yes babies/toddlers need to learn to do stuff & some insist on doing it the hard way but im of the view if you can make it safer do it

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read the thread but every time he tries to climb off, reorient him to go down feet first. You will need to keep doing it. He will fall off. That is just what happens when we are learning. We fall.

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Why post if you are just going to be rude? You don't live in my house or know what it looks like. Its not possible to configure our house any other way, we've tried multiple times.

Lucky you for not having to parent whilst having anxiety disorder. Its not much fun.
    You cannot be serious?!?
    These assumptions are so inaccurate they're not funny

If you were aware of anyone else around here other than yourself you would know that in fact I was diagnosed with post natal depression and anxiety. I attended various groups and therapy for those very reasons. I have started my own threads and vented and ranted and Ive cried on here and felt hopeless like nobody's business.
    Ive felt suicidal. Ive felt scared that I might actually hurt my baby and I've beaten myself up harder than anyone else could.

I've actually offered advice in your threads about those very things before. But you obviously haven't noticed.
    So how dare you throw that in my face.
    YOU have no idea what anyone else's situation is like.
    I had no intention of being rude just frustrated yet again that you post these threads and avoid any advice that means you have to DO something.
    And on that note I think I need a little self imposed break because the next thing I say will probably get me an involuntary break.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (08-11-2015),CMF  (06-11-2015),DarcyJ  (06-11-2015),delirium  (06-11-2015),GlitterFarts  (06-11-2015),HearMeRoar  (06-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015),misho  (06-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-11-2015),twinklify  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first thought as I was reading was "He'll only do it once" but I wasn't going to say that because I thought it would sound bad. Glad to see I'm not the only one lol... I've lost count of how many falls we've had here. Toddlers bounce, it's all good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    You cannot be serious?!?
    These assumptions are so inaccurate

I've actually offered advice in your threads about those very things before. But you obviously haven't noticed.
    So how dare you throw that in my face.
    YOU have no idea what anyone else's situation is like.
    I had no intention of being rude just frustrated yet again that you post these threads and avoid any advice that means you have to DO something.
    And on that note I think I need a little self imposed break because the next thing I say will probably get me an involuntary break.
    It may just be that I'm exhausted at 4.30 but I agree with you. It can be super frustrating to consistently give advice that is knocked down, criticised and ignored. We are only trying to help and provide another perspective. I think the OPs anxiety is often mentioned bc it seems to permiate through and be at the root of her issues.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (06-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-11-2015),twinklify  (06-11-2015)