Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We physically turn DD around & slide her off the couch/bed every time. Must have done it hundreds of times, but she's finally getting it. Repeat repeat repeat. She loves standing on the couch watching me cook, jumping up and down. I also worry that she will fall & hurt herself but just grit my teeth, as I know she needs to learn!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Why post if you are just going to be rude? You don't live in my house or know what it looks like. Its not possible to configure our house any other way, we've tried multiple times.

Lucky you for not having to parent whilst having anxiety disorder. Its not much fun.
    Are you getting help for your anxiety? I feel for you and wonder if you enjoy parenthood or at all, or if your anxiety stops you from letting go and relaxing and simply enjoying your child. Your baby is a toddler now....bumps, falls, tantrums and tears are part of the deal...and it doesn't get easier. Your child is going to learn all sorts of fun and crazy and dangerous things over the years....from riding a bike, to climbing trees, to hanging upside down off monkey bars to driving a car. You need to prioritise getting help for your anxiety because in the scheme of worrying about your child....it doesn't get better. There will always be dangers, and accidents. You don't stop worrying about your child just because they grow up, and you don't want to let anxiety rule your parenting either x

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-11-2015),delirium  (05-11-2015),gingermillie  (05-11-2015),GlitterFarts  (05-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015),JR03  (05-11-2015),misho  (05-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Climbing on the couch

Why post if you are just going to be rude? You don't live in my house or know what it looks like. Its not possible to configure our house any other way, we've tried multiple times.

Lucky you for not having to parent whilst having anxiety disorder. Its not much fun.
    Hang on - lots of us parent with anxiety disorders. Don't assume that @GucciDahling isn't one of those parents.

It's not much fun. I agree. That's why so many of us, including gucci, put time into trying to share with you what has worked for us, show concern for your wellbeing, try and help you work through/around the roadblocks you put out there.

Chances are he will hurt himself a little bit as he learns. He probably won't hurt himself badly, but if you are so convinced that he will I'd seriously consider a new couch that won't worry you so much.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-11-2015),Full House  (05-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015),LoveLivesHere  (05-11-2015),TheGooch  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you can't be there to supervise and go through safe methods of getting down then put him in a high chair to watch you or put in a play pen. That's probably going to be the only solution in your situation til he figures out the safe way. We have a whole house of tiles (bedrooms and all). Yes I do worry that DD is going to crack her head at some point but living on a rubber floor is not a reasonable solution. I have rugs in her room and the living room. And a very large play pen with a thick foam mat underneath when I want her safe and contained. Falling over is inevitable for all kids in all living situations growing up, serious injuries from said falls are very unlikely. Bumps, bruises, grazes, cuts are par for the course though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Haha to you and Girlsrock! The past few weeks have been nuts over here, I now have a climber and a 'helper!' 😖 the ideas this kid gets, I'm often crying and laughing at once.

Full house had a great post, the falls are rarely as bad as you imagine but also toddlers need to explore and hurt themselves (within reason) to learn their limits.
    Omg. The 'helping'. Helps me clean, cook and bake.

Slightly off track but similar to this topic - OP, when my DS was about the same age as yours he was (as usual) with me in the kitchen. I told him 1000000000000 times not to touch the stove (we have a gas cooktop). He was good at listening except one day it took half a second for his finger to poke out and touch the still hot cooktop.

Yes, he got a burnt finger - we ran it under water and he cried but he has NEVER touched it again.

Yes, you can do all you can - but they are curious beings and falling is not as bad as you may think. Like I said DS has fallen so many times - bped his head - had a black eye. But he will be ok. And he will learn

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Are you getting help for your anxiety? I feel for you and wonder if you enjoy parenthood or at all, or if your anxiety stops you from letting go and relaxing and simply enjoying your child. Your baby is a toddler now....bumps, falls, tantrums and tears are part of the deal...and it doesn't get easier. Your child is going to learn all sorts of fun and crazy and dangerous things over the years....from riding a bike, to climbing trees, to hanging upside down off monkey bars to driving a car. You need to prioritise getting help for your anxiety because in the scheme of worrying about your child....it doesn't get better. There will always be dangers, and accidents. You don't stop worrying about your child just because they grow up, and you don't want to let anxiety rule your parenting either x
    I saw a psychologist a few weeks ago. I couldn't get another appointment for a month, so im just waiting. The gp wont give me meds until i try cbt first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I saw a psychologist a few weeks ago. I couldn't get another appointment for a month, so im just waiting. The gp wont give me meds until i try cbt first.
    I'm glad you have the ball rolling in terms of getting help. As far as the couch...pick whatever option is going to ease your anxiety in the here and now. But, if your son falls and hurts himself he WILL be okay. He just might need to hurt himself once or twice to learn. Mats on the floor or grabbing on to his pants and nappy and supporting his fall so he learns without risk of serious injury are perfectly valid and reasonable ways to allow your child to explore at a level you are comfortable with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Climbing on the couch

I can't put the couch against the wall, its a full open plan living & dining area & its also an odd shape.

I cant keep him out of that room. The only other option is to put him in the hallway with some toys if im working in the kitchen etc but then he can't see me so he screams hysterically.

I know its normal, but seriously if he falls off the couch & lands on his head/face on the tiles that will be an ambulance trip to hospital. I wouldnt be so worried if we had carpet.
    My son fell off the kitchen bench helping me make a cake. It was not ambulance trip. It wasn't life threatening but we did take him to the ER to get checked. It was a sickening thud and bounce. He landed on his head. They told us that kids were designed to fall off benches but not get strapped in a car. It helped put it in perspective for me. Put a rug down and go about your business. He will be ok without you there. He will only do it once and then fall out of bed, a few times, then slip on wet tiles and smash his head etc etc
    Last edited by lilypily; 05-11-2015 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I agree with the others. Put a rug down on the floor or move the furniture around. I have 3 kids, the eldest is a tween and let me tell you, when they get older they may stop falling off the lounge but they still worry you. It just becomes walking to their friend's place alone or crossing a busy road. Sometimes you just have to relax and roll with the punches.

I have anxiety, although not as bad as yours and found meds have really levelled me out. It hasn't totally taken it away but softened it heaps. I would be seeing another GP personally as while cbt is great, when you have bad anxiety it often needs a two pronged approach with meds.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

misho  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just let him go.

I'm the type of parent that sort of like.... They'll only do it once.. Or twice. I have anxiety too.

Keep persisting with showing him making it a game.