Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post

These shenanigans are all part of raising a toddler. Adapt you furniture/layout, be patient and consistent and learn to just laugh at a lot of things because toddlers are crazy and they just do what they do.
    I love this. Its so true. My second child was a climber. One day I was in the shower and my DD1 came in and told me that DD2 (who was 16 m/o at the time), was standing in the middle of our kitchen island bench. I got her down and watched her go straight back to the stools, climb up onto the stool and then on to the bench. We got to the point where we had to take the stools away from the bench for a few weeks until she found something else to get into.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a tiled floor house. One of my kids was obsessed with unstrapping themselves from the highchair and standing up in it. That child fell out of the highchair straight on to the tiles...twice. Neither times was any serious damage done. Just a small bruise once, and a small scratch the second time.
    Another child of mine face planted the floor after falling off the kitchen bench. I thought something would have broken...but no. No marks to show for that one.
    Of course these aren't ideal situations but you need to stop catastrophising events. The likelihood that your son will smash his face in on the tiles or on the arm rests is slim.
    With my kids, I'd let them go down off the lounge head first...but would hold on to their pants and nappy so they'd fall, but not actually hit the ground with full force. Babies and todlers learn through exploring. It didn't take much for all of my children to figure out that if we were going to get off the lounge head first they'd fall....but feet first was safe.
    But yes, for a little bit you'll need to keep a closer eye out....so pop bub in his cot when you need to go to the toilet ( even if he screams you know he is safe) and put him in his highchair and talk to him about what you're doing in the kitchen until you know he will get off the lounge feet first.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015),kiwimum890  (05-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    This.

Last week I came around the corner of our hallway to find DS with a wineglass, pouring the cats' water into it. He'd gotten into our bar/sideboard and obviously had grand ideas.

The week before that he climbed up on the kitchen table and stood proud as punch, he did this about 20 times (me taking him off and saying no) before he finally stopped.

For weeks now he's been pulling a chair over to the stove or sink to 'help' and he's rarely sensible about paying attention as he climbs up.

These shenanigans are all part of raising a toddler. Adapt you furniture/layout, be patient and consistent and learn to just laugh at a lot of things because toddlers are crazy and they just do what they do.
    Hahahaha... or making a 'tunnel' by putting toes on the edge of the couch and then hands on the coffee table and then getting stuck.. 'mummy mummy I'm stuck' - while I am holding back laughter. Climbing on the cat tower... *sigh*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm with the posters that are of the opinion that kids need to learn how to climb down stuff themselves even if that means falling.

I have a climber. At 7mths dd1 had scaled up a bookshelf after pulling books down. By 12mths she could climb on the table using the dining chairs.
    So dh spent a whole day teaching her how to climb safely down stairs, couches, chairs and tables.

Sure she fell. Bruises galore but nothin serious. Yes we have/had tiles. Didn't stop her from doing it again n

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-11-2015),kiwimum890  (05-11-2015),misho  (05-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Or don't. Do whatever you like.
    People are offering options. They're trying to help.
    My DS is 14 months. He fell at daycare this week and chipped both his front teeth. It happens.
    We have tiles. He climbs up. He climbs down. He slides off. At first I was scared stiff now I let him go. He may fall - yes. Or he may learn new skills through exploration and curiosity. How you choose to proceed is up to you.
    If your lounge room is configured wrong to put something soft around it then move it.
    Why post if you are just going to be rude? You don't live in my house or know what it looks like. Its not possible to configure our house any other way, we've tried multiple times.

Lucky you for not having to parent whilst having anxiety disorder. Its not much fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We have tiles. My son was a climber. I let him figure it out.

Is your lounge particularly high?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My GS 16 months loves to climb. He was over the other day and jumped off the couch into our tiled lounge room floor. He hit his head got up said oh no and did it again. It was a game to him. So I re directed him to something else. Low and behold I go to the loo and he's standing on the kitchen table ... Crazy kid. It's all a part of exploring and learning

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Hahahaha... or making a 'tunnel' by putting toes on the edge of the couch and then hands on the coffee table and then getting stuck.. 'mummy mummy I'm stuck' - while I am holding back laughter. Climbing on the cat tower... *sigh*
    Haha to you and Girlsrock! The past few weeks have been nuts over here, I now have a climber and a 'helper!' 😖 the ideas this kid gets, I'm often crying and laughing at once.

Full house had a great post, the falls are rarely as bad as you imagine but also toddlers need to explore and hurt themselves (within reason) to learn their limits.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (05-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Why post if you are just going to be rude? You don't live in my house or know what it looks like. Its not possible to configure our house any other way, we've tried multiple times.

Lucky you for not having to parent whilst having anxiety disorder. Its not much fun.
    I parent while having an anxiety disorder and commented similar...😳

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (05-11-2015),amyd  (05-11-2015),Full House  (05-11-2015),GlitterFarts  (05-11-2015),TheGooch  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OP I feel your pain. Round 2 of this with DD2 is staring us in the face very shortly. She is 9 months. DD1 (now almost 3) climbed everywhere.... Cat tower, couch, table, bed. Toddlers will do it no matter what.
    My thought are that you have two options, depending on your parenting style (recognising of course that 'parenting styles' are not that black and white!). 1. Childproof everything. Mats, pads, foam mats, baby gates etc. and let him fall a lot (in relative safety) ; OR 2. Teach him to get down safely every single time.
    I guess it comes down to your parenting philosophy. Or maybe I am overthinking things 😝
    When my dd does crazy things like that I sometimes feel like rolling my eyes in disbelief and screaming "What the hell do you think you're doing? Can't you see you're going to fall/ break your leg/cut your finger/get your eyes scratched out by the cat?!!!OMG how can you not see that!!!".
    But of course I don't. Often.