Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You could put books on the smaller chairs when not in use to discourage him from going on them and just protect the area around the couch? He will learn quickly but will likely get a couple of bumps along the way.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Get those foam mat things and put them behind the couch. Be patient and show him every time how to climb down. Don't just tell him to and expect him to learn, actually physically move his body and praise him lots when he does it with or without your assistance. Whenever he goes headfirst say 'ouch!' or something and turn him around. It won't take long for him to get the message.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Climbing on the couch

Or get a big rug to put under the whole thing?

ETA sorry I reread and you said you have one.

The other option is get one of those giant play pens and put it around it to keep him out. I would go for teaching him to be safe, but if you don't feel up to it that's another solution.
    Last edited by harvs; 05-11-2015 at 19:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS2 has learned to climb recently too. My first wasn't a climber so this is a whole new terrifying territory! I second the foam mats. They are inexpensive from Kmart and can be linked together to fit any space. Good luck, we can go grey together!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    Onto his head/face on a tiled floor?? Really? If he lands on his head he could fracture his skull or even break his neck. Or smash his whole face in. Not liking that idea much.
    Smashing his whole face in is a very unlikely scenario. If he falls, he would most likely fall on his hands and knees.

As others have said, can you put a rug or foam mats around the back of the couch?

Or perhaps a coffee table - would mean less of a distance to fall, but would provide temptation for climbing up the back of the couch.

I found with my kids that they adapted pretty quickly to their home environments. for example when my kids were babies we lived in a house with a lot of steps and they could scoot up and down them in no time. We only had to worry about gates when other people came over.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Smashing his whole face in is a very unlikely scenario. If he falls, he would most likely fall on his hands and knees.

As others have said, can you put a rug or foam mats around the back of the couch?

Or perhaps a coffee table - would mean less of a distance to fall, but would provide temptation for climbing up the back of the couch.

I found with my kids that they adapted pretty quickly to their home environments. for example when my kids were babies we lived in a house with a lot of steps and they could scoot up and down them in no time. We only had to worry about gates when other people came over.
    Hes not looking like hes going to put his hands out, hes just trying to dive face first.

I will try the foam mats, i think I can make that work.

Hes still going to knock himself out or knock his teeth out on the rock hard exposed timber arms of the couch though.

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hes not looking like hes going to put his hands out, hes just trying to dive face first.

I will try the foam mats, i think I can make that work.

Hes still going to knock himself out or knock his teeth out on the rock hard exposed timber arms of the couch though.
    Could you put a blanket or a pillow along the arms temporarily?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Onto his head/face on a tiled floor?? Really? If he lands on his head he could fracture his skull or even break his neck. Or smash his whole face in. Not liking that idea much.
    Or don't. Do whatever you like.
    People are offering options. They're trying to help.
    My DS is 14 months. He fell at daycare this week and chipped both his front teeth. It happens.
    We have tiles. He climbs up. He climbs down. He slides off. At first I was scared stiff now I let him go. He may fall - yes. Or he may learn new skills through exploration and curiosity. How you choose to proceed is up to you.
    If your lounge room is configured wrong to put something soft around it then move it.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-11-2015),delirium  (05-11-2015),Gracie81  (05-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (05-11-2015),JR03  (05-11-2015),misho  (05-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015),~Marigold~  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS jumps up and down on our couch. He also swings on anythong/everything at home... or anywhere. I stop him as much as I can but he has fallen.. and cries. And gets better. We have a rug in front of our couch (we have wooden floors through our house). Just an FYI it does not stop so you may juet have to let go a little.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

kiwimum890  (05-11-2015),MickeyMouse84  (06-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Climbing on the couch

Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    Or don't. Do whatever you like.
    People are offering options. They're trying to help.
    My DS is 14 months. He fell at daycare this week and chipped both his front teeth. It happens.
    We have tiles. He climbs up. He climbs down. He slides off. At first I was scared stiff now I let him go. He may fall - yes. Or he may learn new skills through exploration and curiosity. How you choose to proceed is up to you.
    If your lounge room is configured wrong to put something soft around it then move it.
    This.

Last week I came around the corner of our hallway to find DS with a wineglass, pouring the cats' water into it. He'd gotten into our bar/sideboard and obviously had grand ideas.

The week before that he climbed up on the kitchen table and stood proud as punch, he did this about 20 times (me taking him off and saying no) before he finally stopped.

For weeks now he's been pulling a chair over to the stove or sink to 'help' and he's rarely sensible about paying attention as he climbs up.

These shenanigans are all part of raising a toddler. Adapt you furniture/layout, be patient and consistent and learn to just laugh at a lot of things because toddlers are crazy and they just do what they do.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)