Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Climbing on the couch

Ds has just learnt how to climb onto the couch.

He refuses to listen to me when I try to teach him how to get off. He keeps trying to dive off head first & we have tiled floors. We have a rug but it wont do much if he lands on his face/head.

He also wont sit down on the couch, wants to stand up & climb. I keep saying 'we sit down on the couch. Look, mummy is sitting down' & sitting him down, but its not working.

He keeps trying to climb up the back of the couch & if he succeeds hes likely to fall over the back, & he could seriously hurt himself falling onto tiles from that height

Also, our couch has a timber frame with no padding on the arms etc. How do i stop him from knocking his teeth out on it while hes being silly & climbing?

I now cant leave him unsupervised in the main living area of our house which is a problem, i dont know what to do when I need to prepare food in the kitchen, use the bathroom etc.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    My ds has just learnt to do this too! Luckily he doesn't jump off it yet. And he knows how to get down (he learnt from using stairs). He will *sometimes* listen when I say "we sit on the couch, show me how you can sit on the couch". Otherwise I just ignore or if he's doing something dangerous I pick him up and put him on the floor and remind him we sit on the couch. I find if I react or pay to much attention then he will do it more! He's 21 months. Such a *lovely* age 😂. His behaviour has been particularly challenging recently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, he's just gonna do it. He'll also possibly play with electrical switches, be fascinated by the oven when it's on or slam doors and nearly chop his fingers off. He might also bump his head into the corner of the dining table or what not. There's only so much baby proofing you can do.

You could move the couch against a wall if you're able to.Or he'll just have to learn and you'll need to ride it out.

It's just the way kids learn. They explore, they try new stuff. Sometimes the way they stop doing dangerous stuff is by hurting themselves and then realising that it wasn't a good idea to do it in the first place.

Try to go with the flow. You're doing the right stuff but kids will be kids and will always do stuff that freaks us out.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-11-2015),kbf2plus2  (06-11-2015),lilypily  (05-11-2015),monnie24  (05-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Very normal developmental stage. 2 of my 4 kids were climbers and it drove me insane.

The only solution if you are worried is to take him with you. Or keep him out of the room with the couch in it if you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't put the couch against the wall, its a full open plan living & dining area & its also an odd shape.

I cant keep him out of that room. The only other option is to put him in the hallway with some toys if im working in the kitchen etc but then he can't see me so he screams hysterically.

I know its normal, but seriously if he falls off the couch & lands on his head/face on the tiles that will be an ambulance trip to hospital. I wouldnt be so worried if we had carpet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Short of wrapping your DS and your entire house in bubble wrap, there isn't too much you can do.

At this age it is all about exploration and learning how the world works. Let him bounce on the couch and let him fall. He will soon learn not to do it.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

amyd  (05-11-2015),misho  (05-11-2015),NoteToSelf  (05-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    You could get those soft mats that you link together and put them around the couch?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Short of wrapping your DS and your entire house in bubble wrap, there isn't too much you can do.

At this age it is all about exploration and learning how the world works. Let him bounce on the couch and let him fall. He will soon learn not to do it.
    Onto his head/face on a tiled floor?? Really? If he lands on his head he could fracture his skull or even break his neck. Or smash his whole face in. Not liking that idea much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heartstringz View Post
    I can't put the couch against the wall, its a full open plan living & dining area & its also an odd shape.

I cant keep him out of that room. The only other option is to put him in the hallway with some toys if im working in the kitchen etc but then he can't see me so he screams hysterically.

I know its normal, but seriously if he falls off the couch & lands on his head/face on the tiles that will be an ambulance trip to hospital. I wouldnt be so worried if we had carpet.
    My nephew was jumping on his bed at age 3, fell off broke his collar bone. He's 21 and fine now.

My own kid fell over and chipped his tooth. He's still ok, tooth looks wonky now though. But he's happy and it bothers me more than it does him.

Imagine when he sneaks out of home at 16 or comes home at 18, at 5am and totally drunk!

As mums we're always going to have something to worry about. Try to relax. I know it's hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    You could get those soft mats that you link together and put them around the couch?
    I might be able to shift things a little to make that work. I dont know how to go around the lounge & both the lounge chairs though with the configuration, but ill talk to dh.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast