+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Talking Water Birth - St George Public

Hi everyone,

I am a 17-week first time mom and currently thinking of water birth. I have 2 ovarian cysts so not sure if I'm eligible for this option at St George Public Hospital though. If you or someone you know have experienced it please feel free to share Thanks heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Meredith! Based on the criteria I think I'd be good for it Never thought of having water birth for first pregnancy now it seems ideal lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kumo,

St George Hospital doesn't have many baths... you might have better luck at Sutherland Hospital. (All of their birth rooms have baths.)
    Just a thought
    Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to haley86 For This Useful Post:

Kumo  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sutherland do have baths for use whilst in labour but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to birth in them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Kumo  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by haley86 View Post
    Hi Kumo,

St George Hospital doesn't have many baths... you might have better luck at Sutherland Hospital. (All of their birth rooms have baths.)
    Just a thought
    Good luck!
    Hi Haley,

Thanks for your advice. Yeah St George only has 2 rooms with bath I think I'll have to try my luck there anyway cos it's only few minutes away from my home. Finger crossed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Not all our birth suite rooms have baths - we just make sure we don't put women who are obviously not going to be using the bath (pre term, epidural, induction, twins etc) in those rooms to leave them free for the low risk women.

Even then we'd only ever usually have 1 or 2 women using a bath at the same time (if that), so I wouldn't be too concerned about not every room having a bath.
    Hi Meredith,
    At my appointment at the Birth Centre, may I book in the room for water birth? Or would it only be decided after 37 weeks? And would I be assigned 1 midwife for my entire pregnancy? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Hi Haley,

Thanks for your advice. Yeah St George only has 2 rooms with bath I think I'll have to try my luck there anyway cos it's only few minutes away from my home. Finger crossed
    I wanted to have a water birth with DS and went to great lengths to go to a birthing centre with a bath (Monash, several yrs ago now). I too was freaking out because they only had one bath. However, I got my wish (sort of) and laboured in the bath for several hours before things went pear shaped for me. In hindsite, I got into the bath too early and it likely slowed my labor down. And the only reason I agreed to getting in earlier than planned was because I was worried some other women would come in and take it first!! Crazy, but thought it was worth a mention. I think you would be unlucky to have 3 women wanting a bath at the same time?
    Good luck 😊

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Kumo  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Water Birth - St George Public

I originally booked in for the water birth/low intervention suite at St George.

When I say 'booked in', I mean I advised my midwife that id like that room if I was able to and if it were available. You can do the same.

In the end I never got the choice as I had meconium and went to a delivery suite and had an epi due to having an induction.

Fwiw those rooms are nice too, quite new and the care from the STOMP midwives was excellent.

Good luck, hope you get your water birth!

Eta.. If you book thru the Stomp clinic you get the same 2 midwives the entire pregnancy. But you must book early.
    Last edited by misho; 14-11-2015 at 22:15.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Kumo  (14-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    I originally booked in for the water birth/low intervention suite at St George.

When I say 'booked in', I mean I advised my midwife that id like that room if I was able to and if it were available. You can do the same.

In the end I never got the choice as I had meconium and went to a delivery suite and had an epi due to having an induction.

Fwiw those rooms are nice too, quite new and the care from the STOMP midwives was excellent.

Good luck, hope you get your water birth!

Eta.. If you book thru the Stomp clinic you get the same 2 midwives the entire pregnancy. But you must book early.
    Hi miso,
    My appointment at the birth centre is not until end of this month but on the phone, I was mentioning I wanted to go for the Midwifery Group Practice. Would they assign me the caseload midwife I wonder?