+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a 7 year old and 5 yr old, they are lazy most of the time. Sometimes they help but it's after asking about a million times, I get fed up of that I'd prefer to just do it myself half the time than nag a million times.

I get the - "but my arms are too tired" most of the time especially from my 5 year old or just moans and groans until it's too painful to hear....

Yeah I'm struggling with it. I kind of expect my 7 year old to help out a bit, she's quite grown up now but my 5 year old not so much and my 2 year old there is no expectations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I usually have to beg my 8yr old to help do something. He was doing the dishes a few weeks back after school(cups, bowls etc so not much) but that soon stopped. He was good at the folding. Then that stopped as he expected me to pay him all the time. I gave up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post
    I have a 7 year old and 5 yr old, they are lazy most of the time. Sometimes they help but it's after asking about a million times, I get fed up of that I'd prefer to just do it myself half the time than nag a million times.

I get the - "but my arms are too tired" most of the time especially from my 5 year old or just moans and groans until it's too painful to hear....

Yeah I'm struggling with it. I kind of expect my 7 year old to help out a bit, she's quite grown up now but my 5 year old not so much and my 2 year old there is no expectations.
    In my house it's my legs are too sore. All the freaking time. Like seriously kid do I need to take to hospital if your legs are too sore everyday to do the simplest thing. My go to response is " now do they hun. Do I need to take you to a Dr. It's ok you can rest them after whatever the job is, is done.

Oh my lids don't get paid for chores. I figure it just what you do in family.you work as a team to get done what needs to be done

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

zoz  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There is no money for chores here either. And if there are complaints of sore legs or too tired etc. I offer them an early bed time so they're well rested for the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, I am hearing you. My two are 7 & 5. My 7 y/o is a slob. She walks in the door and kicks her shoes off, drops her school bag, takes her school dress off in the lounge and leaves it on the floor, gets dressed in the lounge of a morning and leaves her pj's/dressing gown on the floor. She leaves her plate on the table, her icy pole sticks get dropped on the floor. No amount of asking her to pick things up works. I've tried yelling, bribing, explaining nicely, rewards, taking things away. It just doesnt sink in. At the moment she has to get her lunchbox out of her bag and empty the contents. Well today I put her lunch on the bench and left it sitting there not in a lunch box. well she just put it in a plastic bag, dumped her lunchbox from yesterday on the bench and there it remains, containers still in it all dirty. I am refusing to unpack it.

my 5 y/o is much better at putting things away, helping around the house when she is asked.

Anyway, I'll follow with interest to see if there is anything else i can do to get Miss 7 on board.

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The kids I look after are 9 and 10. They have specific chores each day and their currency is electronic time. They get 30 minutes a day on school days.

If they do their chores without being reminded, they get an extra 5 mins. I will remind them once and every reminder thereafter is 2 minutes of time gone. It is working well - took me a while to find what worked though.

Their chores are folding washing and checking the mailbox and doing the rubbish (they alternate these), unpacking their lunch box, tidying their rooms. Additionally they have to put away school bags, jumpers etc when they get home.

If they want to watch 30 mins of Netflix before their folks get home (after they've done homework) they both need to do an extra chore - washing dishes or unstacking dish rack, hanging out wet washing, vacuuming the floor etc.

I believe this system works well because they have a very limited amount of electronic time (and no TV on school days unless it has been earnt) and they really value the time they have. I dock minutes for petty fighting too.

My 3 brothers (11, 13 and 15) are the laziest slobs I've met, I would looooove to whip them into shape but my mum and dad just pander to them so it's no surprise!

Thanks
    Reviews
    They do 2-3 things each each day and that's what I expect , they make their own beds, clean their rooms too.
    Things like take rubbish out ( including putting bins out for rubbish day), vaccuming, cleaning bathrooms and emptying/loading the dishwasher ( or washing dishes by hand). Someone's help hang washing out too. Everyone lives in this house so everyone helps out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me the "chores" are not a problem. ..it's the day to day slobbiness.
    My older kids (10 & 12) get $10 per week put into their bank account every week..they hey use it to save for big things, like an ipod or expensive scooter or to "upgrade" the generic shoes I buy them to Nike . I find it reduces whinging about things they want, they know they are able to save for big things and because it's in the bank it can't be wasted on rubbish. I love the independence it has encouraged for them. I told my son today that every time I remove a plate from his bedroom I will take a dollar off his pocket money...we'll see if motivates him to stop being a slob....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My ds puts the bins out and brings them in again, puts his towel on the rail, puts his dirty clothes in basket , puts dirty dishes on sink. He can cook and does so sometimes. He mows the lawns. He has to keep his room tidy and on inspection day it has to be immaculate . He also helps bring the shopping in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    How it works in our family;

I work full time, so my kids (now 14 and 11) are probably expected to do more than some families (which is neither right or wrong, its how it works for us)

My kids have a list of 'chores' that swaps about week to week on a roster. The jobs include;
    • unpacking and packing dishwasher and dish draining tray
    • setting and clearing the table
    • sweeping the floor after dinner
    • taking out the recycles and rubbish
    • feed and care for their own pets and the family pets

They are also expected to;
    • keep their own rooms clean
    • iron their own clothes
    • make their own lunches

As a family, they write the weekly shopping list and help set the weekly menu, prepare vegetables for dinner.

From time to time they will also put on, hang out, bring in and fold the washing when asked.

We work as a family. Yes, the jobs aren't done just like some nights I just won't cook dinner. Yes, there's a bit of reminding and nagging, but they are kids after all.

On the flip side, they get a standard amount of pocket money, $1 per year of age per week. Not linked to doing household family chores. No one pays me to do housework, no one pays them to do their own house work. *BUT* any job not done within a reasonable set amount of time, that I then do, means they must pay the housekeeper 50c to $1 per job, just like *I* would have to pay a house-cleaner.