+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome! And congratulations on your pregnancy. It sounds like your son has come a long way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    White Mage - he only surprises me. Tho I had to push doctors to get him diagnosed he was young at 2 I was able to start early intervention and I swear it makes all the difference.

I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and feeling not so great. Nauseas, tired, anxious (miscarried sept 2015) my boobs have become something I never thought I could carry!

Very hard choice for us to have a second due to the increase in autism and already being called high risk pregnancy I roll my eyes cause it's only autism and anything can happen in any pregnancy.

But decided yes we can do it and excited to give Ryan a sibling guaranteeing him a friend for life.

What's your connection to asd?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Haven't read responses yet, so just jumping in quickly. I have 4 kids. My 4yo son has autism, diagnosed 1.5 years ago and my 3yo daughter is starting the assessment phase soon.

I'll go read now and come back ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjojo84 View Post
    White Mage - he only surprises me. Tho I had to push doctors to get him diagnosed he was young at 2 I was able to start early intervention and I swear it makes all the difference.

I'm 7 weeks tomorrow and feeling not so great. Nauseas, tired, anxious (miscarried sept 2015) my boobs have become something I never thought I could carry!

Very hard choice for us to have a second due to the increase in autism and already being called high risk pregnancy I roll my eyes cause it's only autism and anything can happen in any pregnancy.

But decided yes we can do it and excited to give Ryan a sibling guaranteeing him a friend for life.

What's your connection to asd?
    Both my boys have ASD

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll do a bit better introduction now I'm caught up 😊

My 2nd born son was always a bit quirky. At 2.5 he wasn't speaking but we put that mostly down to his [then] 4yo brother doing the talking for him. There were a lot of stuff we found out of place with him but just put it down to him being a bit unique. One day, I was watching a movie "Adam" which I'm sure at least some of you may be familiar with. About a bloke with Aspergers. It was just what came up on cable telly, not watching for any reason. But while I was watching it, I just couldn't shake the feeling that I felt like I was seeing a lot of my son in the character. I spoke to my husband and my MIL (I love her, she's my sounding board, very honest with me and I trust her opinions) about my concerns. At this point in time I had no knowledge about autism apart from Mercury Rising and an old friends little brother that I met once. So not a lot... They agreed I wasn't over reacting and that it was wise to go to the doctors. Our wonderful family GP at the time (also qualified paed) picked it straight away but sent us for the usual hearing tests and everything first. Even the hearing test person suggested it in not so many words. The developmental paed we saw said he could spot it from the waiting room. My son was considered a very classic example (made for a quick diagnosis but heartbreaking to hear obviously). At the time we were living in Sydney and we had always wanted to go country so we took this as the turning point and sped up our sea change. He has improved 10 fold out here. Knowing everyone on our street and 90% of the town makes things easier for him I suppose.
    He was in preschool last year, which I was dreading enrolling him but it's probably the best thing I have done so far. It's a teeny tiny preschool that had no experience at all with special needs but the teachers were great with him and the main one was always willing to sit and talk to me. He loved going. He is starting up again on Tuesday, however, the head teacher had to leave and a new one is starting. I am the president of the preschool committee so I was lucky in that I had a say who was hired, but it's still making me nervous.
    11 months ago, he was non-verbal and almost nil non-verbal communication. Today, he can speak. Not great but it's there. I would estimate he is just behind what you would expect from a 3yo. Still makes me cry hearing new words sometimes.
    I feel lucky where we live. The principal of the school is an amazing woman. She came to our school in April last year and she is a welcome change. She is very much of the "everyone deserves an equally great education" mindset. Anti-bullying and pro-inclusive. I have a bit to do with her (in a good way, it's a small school) as my eldest started school last year. She has already started talking to me about what my son and I need throughout the year as I want him starting next year. She has apparently organised counsellors and everything to come out throughout the year for her school students and informed them that they will also be working a bit with my son and I. It's very relieving to feel like she actually wants to help my son and wants him to come to school and be educated and looked after, especially after what you see in the press.
    My parents are completely cut out of our lives, for nearly 2 years now, because of how my mother treated him. He wasn't a "perfect" baby so she outright told me she didn't like him or want him in her house. Her loss!!

As for my daughter. We had that worry as she was hitting milestones, as you do. But she seems quite social so we decided she must be fine. But not long after she turned 2, we started noticing some odd things.
    Firstly, her tantrums. Oh gosh. Hours they could go for. A lot worse than my sons meltdowns. She was so violent as well. Always trying to hit me or smash my stuff. She also started having sleeping problems. It got to a point where she was sleeping for two 1.5 blocks a night and that's it. She blanked out once while I was a at the school waiting for my eldest so I decided enough was enough. It was a sign her body wasn't coping and I couldn't think of anything else to try. So I took her to a GP and then a paed. She was diagnosed with insomnia and prescribed melatonin. Since being on that she has been sleeping better (better, not great) and her tantrums have lessened some. I assume being so exhausted was making everything so much worse. Our other issue with her, which is becoming more obvious as time goes on, is her speech. She has echolalia. She cannot form her own sentences at all but can repeat very mature sentences very accurately. It's very bizarre to hear her tell you how delicious her dinner is, but if you ask which bit of her favourite, it's just random sounds. She is on a waiting list for a speechie but I spoke to my sons speechie about it and she and a few others have said it's rare for it to be this prominent outside of the spectrum. So we aren't really sure where we stand with her. She is a lot more confusing, I had no idea female autism was so different to make autism until people started questioning me about her and frowned at my answers. She is due to turn 3 at the end of this month.

I can't tell you how happy I was the other day when I pointed at something for my youngest (18 months) and he looked at what I pointed at, not just my finger. He is learning a new word nearly every second day. It's so weird after having two with speech problems to hear. He seems so little to be talking haha.

Anyway, that's my story. If you got this far, congrats. I will admit, I don't really have anyone to talk to about it. I have other mum friends but no special needs mum friends so when I start talking, it kind of all falls out. So thank you for your patience.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (08-02-2016),sajimum  (13-02-2016),Sookie Stackedhouse  (08-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been Mia the last few weeks.
    School holidays are hell.
    Welcome to the new comers. I have been reading along and wanted to let you know you are not alone. @Ahalfdozen my 3yr old boy has echolalia. He is being diagnosed at the moment. There has been a concern since before he was 2.
    My oldest is 8 and being looked at also.
    He is what use to be high functioning aspie.
    You are so lucky to have a great involvement from the school. It is very rare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Welcome @joeyjojo84 & @Ahalfdozen

I can relate to parts of both of your posts. It's nice to have a place to chat with others that face similar challenges.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far so good on both fronts right now.

Ds1 seems to be still enjoying school. Handling the long days and the other kids. I am already noticing some differences in his speech.
    Its been good so far. I have met a handful of the aids so far and they are all so lovely.
    I am feeling good about this too.

Ds2. He is enjoying his bus ride to and from, from his sds and they have created a communication book to tell me about his days.
    Preschool are doing ok. He enjoys playing outdoors but isn't into indoor activities, but they are doing what they can. He has started to show enjoyment on the swing. And painting. Never thought I would bring any art work home for him. So a nice surprise.
    He is struggling with the water bottles. The kids bring water bottles and put it in the trolley near the front door and are left there for access for the kids to have a drink. DS2 was getting frustrated as he continued to want to drink out a kids bottle that happened to look like one he has at home. So I have had to bring it so he isn't taking the other kids bottle.
    Also 2pm in the past when he was at daycare, was when I picked him up. His internal clock tells him when he is going home and from 2 onwards becomes unsettled.
    Regardless he seems to still be enjoying himself. And is pretty clear on his wants even though he is non-verbal.

I am however getting used to all these pick ups and drop offs and find myself feeling very tired. Today my body feels old.
    Walking heaps has truly shown how unfit I really am.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    welcome @Ahalfdozen
    @White Mage it's so good to hear that things are going well for both your boys at the moment! Hopefully it continues. And you will get used to the pick ups/drop offs I am sure. I know what you mean about feeling tired though.....

All is pretty reasonable here too. DD is coping okay at school from what I can see. No anxiety at home which is fantastic. However, she is pretty emotional and defiant which isn't her usual state. I think it's just from fatigue. To top it off, DS started 3 yo kinder this week and also added an extra daycare day (from 2-3) so he is exhausted too. Fun times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am glad DD is handling pretty well! I hope things continue moving on Sajimum (i'll pm soon. Haven't forgotten )

Ds1 wore undies last night. I had realised I had run out of night pullups, offered him one of DS2s and he said he wasn't a baby and wanted to wear his undies.
    I was checking every hour all night aaaaand he Has woken up dry!