+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 476
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,574
    Thanks
    1,327
    Thanked
    1,477
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am glad Degrassi that your holidays have been pretty good. I understand not wanting to go to the store.

    Hmm we have been surviving. Best way to describe it.
    Keiran has been full of beans and annoying at times. But probably not as bad as I think to be honest.
    Davin on the other hand. Handful!
    Going through a jumping faze. Likes jumping off high places for the sudden impact. Does not like the trampoline because of the inability to control his body when landing. So uses the trampoline as something jump off of on to the ground. Seriously going to be that kid who gonna jump off the roof to break his legs. Uurgh..
    Otherwise he wants to go out for walks for everyday, BUT does not like walking along places that he knows leads to home. He will be happy to keep going and going.
    Yesterday in the morning i hand delivered a letter that we got that belonged to someone on a joining street. So 5mins.
    Dropped it in the letter box. The moment i turned back. He starts to cry to the point of hyperventilation. Meanwhile every person is out taking dogs for a walk or watering their gardens, watching on, looking concerned. And he continued to cry for an hour after we got back. Biggest mistake. So been avoiding taking him anywhere unless its somewhere far away.
    Extremely stressed out. And dying for a break.
    They are lucky they are cute.

    Cherry. Both my boys were tested by the paed after they were diagnosed, and both came back normal...
    I am glad you found this group by the way

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,889
    Thanks
    3,051
    Thanked
    5,856
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????

    @White Mage my DS doesn't like turning around on walks either He can become very insistent on going a certain way and gets upset and agitated when we don't allow him to call the shots! Not fun :/

    Davin the jumper must be making you all kinds of stressed I hope it's a phase and he stops soon.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,648
    Thanks
    558
    Thanked
    428
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey everyone. Happy holidays. Grr I hate that saying.
    Welcome cherry.
    I have not had an easy holiday at all.
    I am on antibiotics and can go in the sun so my boys are going stir crazy. I get 1 happy and the other losses it. My youngest turns 3 next week. No beaches or parks. I can't do anything here, small house.
    School is still 2 weeks away and hubby is not coping with the noise.
    I'm not having a good week but ot starts tomorrow and soon speech and dietitian will be back.
    I hate that we get no support over the holidays unless one of them gets sick or hurt.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    519
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked
    96
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    Hope everyone is surviving the holidays! Truly counting down here.
    Do u mean genetic testing? We weren't offered anything but I am interested because we are considering ttc and if there is chance of us having another child on the spectrum we wouldn't. Gosh I know that sounds selfish. It I know what I can cope with and I cannot go through this again. It's so hard, I get so upset about it all.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    9,574
    Thanks
    1,327
    Thanked
    1,477
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry18Bloss View Post
    Do u mean genetic testing? We weren't offered anything but I am interested because we are considering ttc and if there is chance of us having another child on the spectrum we wouldn't. Gosh I know that sounds selfish. It I know what I can cope with and I cannot go through this again. It's so hard, I get so upset about it all.
    Genetic and chromosome blood tests were done after our first appointments with both kids.
    Keiran was diagnosed after his 2nd appointment at 4yrs. Davin was diagnosed after his 1st appointment at 2. His is alot more obvious.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

    Cherry18Bloss  (17-01-2016)

  7. #66
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanks
    829
    Thanked
    1,106
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Welcome Cherry! My DD had genetic testing done following her diagnosis last year. The testing showed a deletion of part of one chromosome. Neither DH or I were carriers, and we were told that the risk of another child with ASD was no higher than the general population (approx 1%).

    Our holidays have been pretty good so far. Lots of swimming at the beach and pool which keeps DD happy. Our main issues with boredom/loss of routine are with our 3 year old neurotypical DS! He has been a nightmare to live with the last week or so. Can't wait until he heads back to daycare and starts kinder. DD has her school readiness group for 4 mornings this week, then school from next Thurs.

    Davin jumping off everything must be exhausting and terrifying

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

    Cherry18Bloss  (17-01-2016)

  9. #67
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,889
    Thanks
    3,051
    Thanked
    5,856
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi mums

    @White Mage & @sajimum did your little people start big school this week? Just wondering how you got on

    DS went back to preschool yesterday and had a great time. Back again today and tomorrow. I'm waiting for a call back from the Director as we've decided to drop him down to 2 days per week. I think it's enough, and it's financially a stretch to send him for 3 days (the rebate on registered care is so minimal).

    Also touched on the starting school subject with DS's OT - she believes DS will be best suited to a support class in a main****** school. I'm thinking this will be the best option for him too. I've already gotten a few recommendations from some local parents about good schools, so it's a start.

  10. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    8,245
    Thanks
    1,772
    Thanked
    2,017
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post

    Also touched on the starting school subject with DS's OT - she believes DS will be best suited to a support class in a main****** school. I'm thinking this will be the best option for him too. I've already gotten a few recommendations from some local parents about good schools, so it's a start.
    Unfortunately you get no say in the school if you are seeking a support placement. It's all up to the education department as to whether they will give you one and where it will ultimately be. There are only a handful of ASD classes around too and multi-cat classes are often not suited to ASD kids if they are high functioning.
    Sorry to put a downer on it. I was once positive about it too, thinking there would be at least one suitable option out there.

  11. #69
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,378
    Thanks
    829
    Thanked
    1,106
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Hi mums

    @White Mage & @sajimum did your little people start big school this week? Just wondering how you got on

    DS went back to preschool yesterday and had a great time. Back again today and tomorrow. I'm waiting for a call back from the Director as we've decided to drop him down to 2 days per week. I think it's enough, and it's financially a stretch to send him for 3 days (the rebate on registered care is so minimal).

    Also touched on the starting school subject with DS's OT - she believes DS will be best suited to a support class in a main****** school. I'm thinking this will be the best option for him too. I've already gotten a few recommendations from some local parents about good schools, so it's a start.
    Thanks for thinking of us! DD started Prep today and was so excited this morning (with a bit of anxiety thrown in there too). She is pretty exhausted but seemed to have a good day. It's always hard to get much information out of her but she is happy enough and wants to go back tomorrow which is a good sign. Didn't get a chance to touch base with the teacher but I am assuming there were no major issues. DD did add that "learning new things is boring" and she's "tired of going to school all the time" I think she's in for a shock when she realises that school goes on for so long!

    Sorry to be naive, but what's a support class? Is it a separate class for special needs kids within a main****** school? There is a school close to us which has a language unit for kids with language disabilities - they operate partly out of that classroom and partly within the main****** classroom. Is it a similar set up? It's great that you're already thinking about it @Mod-Degrassi

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (28-01-2016)

  13. #70
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,889
    Thanks
    3,051
    Thanked
    5,856
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Unfortunately you get no say in the school if you are seeking a support placement. It's all up to the education department as to whether they will give you one and where it will ultimately be. There are only a handful of ASD classes around too and multi-cat classes are often not suited to ASD kids if they are high functioning.
    Sorry to put a downer on it. I was once positive about it too, thinking there would be at least one suitable option out there.
    Thanks for explaining. I sorely hope DS gets a decent placement when the time comes. I don't feel his needs would be met if he was plonked into a main****** class with a small amount of aide time. One of his biggest challenges is engaging in group time and sitting still.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Awesome Mums of Autistic kids- how many of us are there (#2) ?????????
    By mumof2cuties in forum Parents of Children with Special Needs
    Replies: 990
    Last Post: 04-11-2015, 16:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Xmas with a NEW Fridge-to-go Lunch Bag! Fridge-To-Go Australasia
Fridge-to-go 8 hour cooler bags are ideal under the Christmas tree! Now in modern lunch bag designs - fill them with toys and chocolate to make parents and kids happy! Stay super cool and eat healthy and fresh food all summer long!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Shapland Swim Schools
Semi private learn to swim classes for a maximum of 3 children in specialized heated teaching pools. Our swim schools are located across Brisbane, Ipswich and the Sunshine Coast, ensuring there's a school near you.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!