+ Reply to Thread
Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes I know how expensive all these appointments can be my son has asd, ADHD and has a heart condition called tetralogy of fallot his younger brother hasn't been diagnosed with anything as of yet but he also sees a speech and ot. I can't work as I get called into school regularly if ds2 doesn't cope and he also sometimes gets suspended. His 8 so doesn't get any funding packages so the 123.50 is all we receive right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The last few days I have been starting to wonder if DD is ASD.

She is just bloody driving me bananas!!! (Yes I know that's not a diagnoses!) but she's not listening at all, she picks her lips, nails, doesn't listen at all, doesn't eat hardly anything except fruit, she's so stubborn, she craves touch we still do sleep, she likes to spin things. She's very intelligent and childcare have told me to put her in kindy already.. Which isn't for a whole year! I think I've been focusing too much on DS. Duck me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    The last few days I have been starting to wonder if DD is ASD.

She is just bloody driving me bananas!!! (Yes I know that's not a diagnoses!) but she's not listening at all, she picks her lips, nails, doesn't listen at all, doesn't eat hardly anything except fruit, she's so stubborn, she craves touch we still do sleep, she likes to spin things. She's very intelligent and childcare have told me to put her in kindy already.. Which isn't for a whole year! I think I've been focusing too much on DS. Duck me
    I think it's pretty normal to have the thought about whether other children may also be on the spectrum when you have a child with ASD. And it's very easy to focus primarily on the child that's in need of the most help at any given moment. Have daycare raised any concerns about your DD's development? How is she socially? If you're still concerned it might be worth raising your concerns with your paed/GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    I think it's pretty normal to have the thought about whether other children may also be on the spectrum when you have a child with ASD. And it's very easy to focus primarily on the child that's in need of the most help at any given moment. Have daycare raised any concerns about your DD's development? How is she socially? If you're still concerned it might be worth raising your concerns with your paed/GP.
    No they haven't I'm just stressed ATM she's not listening/acting out at home. Maybe it's her age I'm not sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is she? I've had similar thoughts about my DS' behaviour at various times - he's nearly 4 now and is in a reasonably 'good' place behaviourally. But that could change at any moment Age 3 has been quite challenging for him and us, and I have certainly had ASD cross my mind (though it's pretty unlikely given our genetic results).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were strongly concerned about my 3yo DD at one point. She ended up in hospital because she collapsed (passed out) from exhaustion. Ended up speaking to a paed and it was determined she has insomnia and went on melatonin for it. She still has sleep issues and we've tried weaning her off it but there's no chance. When she goes off it, she sleeps from 3:30-5 and then 5:30-7. That's it. Regardless of how "tired" she is.
    She also had significant speech problems up until a couple of months ago. Her brother was non-verbal til 12 months ago and now he speaks more like a 2yo, where as she had different speech problems all together. She suffered very badly from echolalia. She could speak full "adult" type sentences very well, but couldn't make her own sentences up, it was just babble. So it was really weird, you could ask her how her day was and you'd either get complete gibberish or she'd say something like "oh, my day was simply splendid, how was your day darling". It was very creepy.
    She also had massive behaviour problems. Namely to do with the hideously violent 1hour+ tantrums she would throw. But we were unable to work out of it was the lack of sleep causing it.
    Also, she collects toothbrushes. We buy a new 10 pack every fortnight because she takes them and hides them under her pillow.

We still have *some* concerns but we are erring on the side of "no" for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everyone needs a hobby.

If you are concerned enough definitely go talk to the paed further into your concerns.
    Sleep problems alone are a worry. It makes you forgetful and well yeah.. Exhausted. Poor little thing and poor you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is school starting this week for everyone I'm confused with states! Good luck everyone hope u have a smooth ride.

@Ahalfadozen OMG how do you keep your eyes open I read your other commitments on study post. Your super mum I can barely pre make dinner for the week lol.

Dd is 3.5 almost 4 (April). My mum thinks she's just bored. We have enrolled both kids back at Childcare but seperate days so I can also spend one on one time with them not just time at appointments with DS as that's not quality time. DS qualifies for a special educator too I'm not sure if you guys have heard of that? It's worth considering if u look into Childcare etc. so he gets his own worker. I'm very pleased. As we have anxiety issues to break. I'm hoping childcare will help with food I'm so over him not eating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    @Ahalfadozen OMG how do you keep your eyes open I read your other commitments on study post. Your super mum I can barely pre make dinner for the week lol.
    I drink a lot of iced coffee (can't stand the real stuff) so I'd say it's the caffeine and sugar that does it hah.

Yep, in NSW school starts this week, so my Mister is back at preschool on Tuesday. Hopefully from week 2, he will be starting his transition. I'm starting to really get worried about his focus issues. At OT the other day, she was timing his ability to wait or to concentrate on a single task and we were lucky to get 2 minutes out of him. Not sure how he will fair at school

His aggression is still not the greatest. My SIL moved across the road last week, so we were over there for dinner. They were all arguing and her 3yo hit my son but my son turned around and bit him so bloody hard. It's the first time I have seen him bite a kid that wasn't one of his siblings. I was mortified. I just dragged him home and hubby had a talk to him. I was reeling. I know he got hit first, and it's fair enough to defend yourself but that's not what this was. This was him doing it out of anger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Yep, in NSW school starts this week, so my Mister is back at preschool on Tuesday. Hopefully from week 2, he will be starting his transition. I'm starting to really get worried about his focus issues. At OT the other day, she was timing his ability to wait or to concentrate on a single task and we were lucky to get 2 minutes out of him. Not sure how he will fair at school
    I can relate to how you're feeling. DS's concentration and engagement in table top activities is very limited. He's just so sensory seeking and hyperactive.

I can see us trialling medication after we see our paed again in November. We've had a few sessions with a child psych and she is of the opinion that medication would be worth a trial as he was deemed 'high risk for ADHD' after we completed a questionnaire. He's just so busy, he needs to be slowed down.

He has been so good lately at home, and his behaviour on outings has been really quite hassle-free for a while (normally DH is a bit frazzled during school holidays, but they've had some lovely time together). Whilst all this is great for us as parents, the behaviour in the preschool environment can still be a bit unpredictable - one day he's in great spirits, can share with his peers, and listens - other days he's quite oppositional, has loads of trouble sharing and hates following other's agendas.

I'm also starting to wonder whether he's become 'too familiar' with his speech therapist. He's a bit oppositional with her and I'm not sure her approach is necessarily working for DS. It's almost like he's rebelling against the therapies at times. I do have to wonder whether speech therapy at a clinic would be better than a home visit. I just don't know!