+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Understanding is not always met I am afraid. Sometimes it makes situations harder because you know what your child does, isn't completely meant, or they don't have the whole sense of understanding on a lot of things, buuuut not everyone gets that.

I am at a point where I hate going anywhere with Ds2, because of what happens. We have never had a major breakdown in public with him before, but his actions can have people annoyed. For example he hates small spaces, so shopping centres, aisles, people with trolleys he will sook because he finds it overwhelming. I don't shop with him unless it's absolutely necessary.
    But on the other end of things, he loves open spaces. He loves the freedom of exploration.
    So going to our dr surgery with big open waiting room, with adjoining halways, seems like a massive playground for him.
    Naturally trying to keep him one place is challenging because he wants to run. No gadget will keep him still, there is too much for him to see.
    I have had people look at me with disbelief and ask me to restrain my child. But then I might have 1 person in an entire room that gets what I am trying to do with him, and offers me a smile and maybe some words of encouragement.

People tell me to take that energy of his to a playground. It's not the playground he wants, its the open fields, so parties at indoor playgrounds, parks, usually is me chasing him around making sure he is not doing anything he shouldn't. Because he is an oral explorer, going to indoor playgrounds means stealing food and stuff off other peoples tables, running into the canteen/kitchens they have there. It's embarrassing as hell.
    Going to parks. I have literally ran many kilometres of open parks, because he wants to just run. Kids are playing together and he somewhere else entirely.
    Doesn't make me very good as I want to be able to do what the other parents do and chat to each other and make connections and friendships, but instead I am chasing my child who is in sensory overload....

Ds1 has his quirks too but thankfully he is doing better now. He has reached the whinging stage. His voice could make ears bleed lol.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awesome Mums of Autistic kids-how many of us are there (#3)????????

Ohh I understand completely!!
    I have a DS almost 2 who whining is the worse sound in the world! No tells you about the whine! They talk about the lack of sleep or the lack of money but leave that very important part!
    He is also a oral taster!
    I've taken him to a toy shop and thinking he will pick the most expansive toy (as my DD 5 who has ASD) instead he chases a kid with an apple! He is all about the food. Never seems to be full.
    I can see the major difference in my son to my daughter! Now
    Raising her having no one to compare to of cause there is an excuse for most of her ASD behaviour but now with my son it just seems so obvious.
    Last edited by mumofrosealiened; 24-09-2016 at 19:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    Attachment 84508
    I'm so sorry I'm a pain!
    I received the message but can't reply
    You click on the three dots in the top right corner and you should be given the option to reply

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have totally given up on what to get him. His attention span is very short. I took him Toys R Us just before his birthday hoping maybe.. Just maybe he might find something he likes. Nope.
    Parents complain about their kids wanting everything in the store. My youngest I just want him to pick 1 thing to give me some idea what he likes or wants. Very frustrating.

As for your little oral explorer. I have a variety of chew toys that I have tried. His favorite at the moment is a large necklace made completely out of spiral phone cord.
    There are T bars with different textures and those teething pendant necklaces about. They are little pricy, but it might save you from item chewing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have some of those chewable necklaces. He bites his lips, so they are to avoid that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @sajimum
    I wanted to workout messages because I wanted to find out more about NDIS. We have just applied for factcia funding (helpingchildrenwithautism) that is a lump sum payment. As far as I know I don't know much about or the NDIS.
    How does it work?
    How much?
    Does it help you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    @sajimum
    I wanted to workout messages because I wanted to find out more about NDIS. We have just applied for factcia funding (helpingchildrenwithautism) that is a lump sum payment. As far as I know I don't know much about or the NDIS.
    How does it work?
    How much?
    Does it help you?
    We only have helping children with autism funding too. NDIS doesn't roll out here until 2018. I think @Mod-Degrassi has NDIS in her area. Anyone else?

HCWA is $12000 to use before your DD turn 7.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The NDIS has been approved in my area in pretty sure it just rolls over from HCWA.
    So the $12000 is spent how you see fit to benefit her?
    Obviously they keep track to make sure it's approved?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The $12000 needs to be spent on approved therapists (psych, OT, speech....maybe others though I am unsure) or can be spent on equipment that is approved by her therapy team ($4100 is the total limit for equipment). There are limits on how much you can spend each year as well. It's been fantastic for our DD. we have used it for speech therapy, OT and social skills groups as well as for equipment (social skills games, a Fitbit, climbing equipment). Because DD was diagnosed at 5, we have 2 years to spend it, so haven't really had to ration it at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The NDIS is not a set amount of money for everyone. You get a case worker and you work together to set out goals on which you want to achieve then figure out which support you need for those goals and then a Certain amount of money is allocated to you for it.
    We havnt got NDIS here yet get it in July 2017 but I have found out about it through a support group I'm in.