+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 49 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumofrosealiened View Post
    Thank u
    I have applied for helpingchildrenwithautism which can take 8 weeks, and only cover them till their 7 years. That's when NDIS takes over, yes that has been approved here as well.

It is a public school, is there more support in private?

I was asking about moving schools to get the maximum help, she hasn't started as yet she will start next year.

The peads mentioned the IQ will help, but didn't want to overwhelm her so quickly.
    Thanks again
    From what I know, Catholic and Private school can provide more in the way of assistance because they have money to do so. But in turn it obviously will be a bit more for you to pay for her to go there. So if money isn't an issue for you then yes it might be a good idea.

No problem, this thread is a well of info. Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just wanted to say a big hi, and my Daughter was diagnosed with ASD level 2 on the 1st of sept.
    It is quite overwhelming everything I need to do as far as informing everyone applying for funding having appointments at the school (she starts next year) also the therapy app.
    I want her to have as much support as possible going into school, but I have had a appointment with the councillor and principal today and their saying she may only apply for teaches aides half an hour to an hour a day.
    I haven't received the report off the peads as I only got the confirmation off her yesterday, but remembered her saying there was another type of support she would need infer ... Inter. Cannot remember at all!
    I am on the central coast (about an hour from Sydney) does anyone suggest I go to another school? Or just see how she goes?
    Welcome! I have a DD who was diagnosed last year and started school this year in VIC. So the choosing a school is so fresh in my mind. It can be so overwhelming initially after diagnosis - especially given you need to put things in place for next year.

With regards to the school, what's your gut feeling? Do they seem open to supporting her? Personally, I would also ask questions such as: Will they allow her therapists into the school to provide input? Will they be flexible in their teaching? Have they had experience with children (especially girls!) with ASD? What kind of strategies have they used with those children? Do they have aides in any of the classrooms for all students to share? Are they willing to have their teachers do extra training if needed? Personally, we looked at quite a few schools for DD and our main concerns were: The feel of the place; size (relatively small, so she wouldn't fall through the gaps); whether they had at least some positive experiences with ASD kids; what their transition program is and whether they will allow extra transition times/support for your DD if needed; whether they would be flexible in thinking and implementing strategies to help DD; and a strong focus on social and emotional wellbeing. Keep in mind that a teacher's aide would be great, but in main****** schools many many ASD kids don't qualify for much aide time, and it is often the classroom teachers, parents and therapists working together to implement strategies that will assist your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

That's all.
    Not our week. Not our week at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post

That's all.
    Not our week. Not our week at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @mumofrosealiened do you use facebook?

The reason I ask is that it can be really helpful to be a part of a group in your local area for parents of ASD children. I have found the parents in the group I'm a part of have been really helpful at answering questions on schooling matters.

You must feel so daunted at not only receiving the recent diagnosis, but having to make a decision on schooling so soon afterwards.

The school should be arranging for a cognitive assessment to be done. A lot of kids on the spectrum (including mine) don't fare particularly well or even come close to finishing the testing because of their inability to sit down and engage. This is not a bad thing, as you want them to see that she is going to need support.

I have heard of some moderate ASD kids receiving no aide time at all, then some that receive a good few hours a day. A good school will do what they can to make sure your DD is supported. As I mentioned in the other thread, my DS received a placement in a support class, but if he went main****** I was told (by the local learning support officer from the department of education) that DS would definitely qualify for aide time.

If you are pretty certain about wanting your DD to go into a main****** class, I would definitely recommend looking into private schooling. We looked at a Catholic school for DS earlier in the year (at that stage we thought he might be okay in a main****** class), and they were not at all daunted by catering for DS should we want him to go there. I have heard from a few different sources that children are often well supported in private schools.

It's an important decision - don't hesitate to ask loads of questions to get as much information you can.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

mumofrosealiened  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mod-Degrassi
    Yes I do!
    But I have no idea what to look up?
    We have told our parents so far about the diagnosis but I didn't want me liking a page or requesting something for it to suddenly get out, than have to answer questions that I haven't even come to terms with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Mod-Degrassi
    Yes I do!
    But I have no idea what to look up?
    We have told our parents so far about the diagnosis but I didn't want me liking a page or requesting something for it to suddenly get out, than have to answer questions that I haven't even come to terms with.
    Totally understand.

You are best to look for a 'closed group'. That way it'll be kept private and not show up on your news feed etc.

I did a quick search for you - there is a closed group called 'Central Coast Autism & Aspergers Family Support Group'. Might be worth sending them a request to join? There is also a great closed group for the Newcastle & Hunter region (most members would be from further north of your area, but it's a large group and very supportive).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

mumofrosealiened  (22-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    @mumofrosealiened do you use facebook?

The reason I ask is that it can be really helpful to be a part of a group in your local area for parents of ASD children. I have found the parents in the group I'm a part of have been really helpful at answering questions on schooling matters.

Great suggestion! I have found Facebook parent support groups helpful too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I joined a big NSW group on Facebook but there's just too many people in there, and the same 3 people seem to post and everyone else is quiet. I haven't found it overly useful.

I wish I could find one. I do like FB groups, so much more personal and it's easier to have a million and one seperate conversations and remember who people are hahaha

Thanks
    Reviews
    It takes some times to find the right place I find. Found a close one to me by chance.

I actually signed DS1 up for Scouts to see if he would like it.
    Big family thing on my mother side as my grandpa and his brothers were scout leaders.