+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 49 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    What's Haden program?
    Sorry lol hanen program 😂 I think there is a book from talk ability too. It's basically teaching us speech therapy tools etc I learnt something today as I'm an 'excited' parent like OMG you went to toilet etc and that might not work with Hugos ASD he might work better with calmer solutions of course it might not work but maybe bit of both hope I made sense 😒

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep. It's a recorded study, you and a bunch of other parents, go through a lot of speech therapy stuff, video you and your child initiating in your every day routines, and you and the other parents discuss. It's great because you can help others and others can help you.
    Hannon also have some of the leading books (2 to talk) and a few others that are used by professionals to help with tools and advice. A gold mind apparently.
    If you can get in one, do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hey all, hope everyone has had a good week so far

Had a meeting at the preschool yesterday with DS's therapists to discuss some strategies to deal with some of DS's more recent challenging behaviours. Went pretty well - hopefully there will be some improvements.

Later in the day I got a call from the paed's office - there was a cancellation, so we now have an appointment late this afternoon!

DS has been sick with a mild cold, so he had yesterday and today off preschool. It's not that he's really ill, but he is clingy and just wants to stay home with his dad. No point sending him if he's going to be unhappy, as it's more likely he'll be a handful for his teachers when he's feeling 'off'.

As for transition to primary school, he's booked in for 4 x Mondays in November to go to big school. First week will be just an hour, then 2 hours the 2nd week, 3 hours the 3rd week, followed by a full day on the 4th week.

In a way it'll be a relief when he starts school next year - he'll have great support there and will be taught by teachers who really know how to handle kids with additional needs. Considering he's struggling a bit in the main****** preschool environment, I'm so relieved I chose not to go for the main****** class option next year. He just wouldn't cope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't done a Hanen program, but have got one of the books. It is a great book - was really useful when DD was just diagnosed and we were looking for something that we could implement prior to engaging with therapists.
    @Mod-Degrassi I hope the paed appointment goes well! And good to hear it was a positive meeting with the preschool. I find that it's always good to have a plan. Even if it hasn't been implemented, there's some comfort in knowing what the plan is going forward. The school environment sounds great for him. Having experienced teachers is such a critical factor to set him up for success. Is he looking forward to going to school?

As for us - today is DD's school production. They do two performances. I am pretty proud of her for how well she's coping so far. It's extremely loud and overhwelming for her, but she's loving it. I tried to send in her noise cancelling headphones (as they are sitting right next to the huge speakers and stage for the whole 2 hour performance), but she was adamant she doesn't want them. She can't/won't say why, but I am wondering if it's so she doesn't appear different. I think we'll have a very quiet weekend to allow her to recover though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @sajimum paed appointment went well - we've been given some questionnaires to fill in (one for us, one for preschool) which will help with determining if DS has ADD/ADHD.

Paed believes it's a possibility, but also explained that some of his more oppositional/challenging behaviour at preschool could be caused by different parts of his brain being 'unlocked' and his language improving so much. Because his development has progressed, he's more comfortable asserting himself.

Whatever the case, we won't be meeting back with the paed until November as he'll be overseas for a few weeks and is heavily booked up (I wish I thought to keep our October appointment). We'll just keep implementing the new strategies and hopefully things will get a bit easier at preschool.

High five to your DD for coping so well at the performance Was she okay afterwards?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (10-09-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can someone tell me difference between hcwa funding sorry if I spelt it different or wrong and NDIS for early years? Or do u get both? I'm still so confused about all of this. I really want to get back to hubby and NDIS isn't rolling out until 2018 so we are waiting for our approval but when i googled they had the other funding? Ahh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Can someone tell me difference between hcwa funding sorry if I spelt it different or wrong and NDIS for early years? Or do u get both? I'm still so confused about all of this. I really want to get back to hubby and NDIS isn't rolling out until 2018 so we are waiting for our approval but when i googled they had the other funding? Ahh
    As far as I understand, HCWA is the "old" funding that is being swallowed during the NDIS rollout. We get NDIS in 2017 so at the moment are on HCWA funding. It's a finite amount, unlike NDIS which is ongoing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    As far as I understand, HCWA is the "old" funding that is being swallowed during the NDIS rollout. We get NDIS in 2017 so at the moment are on HCWA funding. It's a finite amount, unlike NDIS which is ongoing.
    This sounds right - you get HCWA funding if the NDIS hasn't rolled out in your area, then you'll switch to the NDIS funding when it's available. You get one or the other - not both.

We were very fortunate that the NDIS had rolled out in our area before DS was diagnosed. It's significantly more funding than the HCWA, and it renews each year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What have you guys received from your funding? One of my friends got a trampoline and all for her SPD/ASD son. And jump matts etc.. Whatever they are called.

I just feel so lost at my mums as before I was in my house and we are sleeping in one room etc. do u think I should wait? Or do u think it would be enough funding. :/. Ah this is so crap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our funding helps pay for his speech, OT and Psych. We have also got a few resources from it, such as his ear muffs, his clock etc. and just yesterday we ordered an iPad through it as both his OT and Speechy were insistent on it. Also, his weighted blanket and his weighted lap blanket.

I've heard of other people accessing other weird and wonderful stuff through it but not sure what