+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I'm tended to think there may be little use in us getting the testing. One look at my family and you know where it's come from. We have ADHD through the family as well. I have a relative that has to live in a care home full time due to the severity of his autism. As well as a million and one other anecdotal instances. So I would assume my chances are higher than average of producing another (it's been mentioned how "lucky" we are that only 1 of our 4 has it). I don't know, I could be naive but I think my son is set to have a great life because I have done my darnedest to make sure he has the absolute best support around him 100% of the time and I guess realistically, nothing says my other kids won't have hardships either. I think because of my extended family, and how successful (several doctorates in all maths/science/engineering subjects) some of them are, I carry a lot of hope.
    It's a very individual decision, that's for sure. I recently took part in a similar discussion within a facebook group and a couple of other points that were raised by those who went through with testing were 1) that they felt it was beneficial for the wider community to help improve knowledge about the underlying 'causes' of autism, and 2) that some genetic abnormalities are associated with significant medical/health issues which may benefit from early identification and regular monitoring. There were a few people who were in this situation, with their genetic issues making them vulnerable to significant health problems in later life. In our case it was recommended that DD make one or more appointments in the future (e.g. 5 years down the track, 10 years down the track) in order to see if research has progressed to show what the function of her deleted genes may be. As it stands, they know the function of about 5 of them, but many are unknown at this stage. I find it fascinating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Thanks that's very interesting. Fragile X came back negative. Hugo has large amount of white matter damage from his virus though I'm starting to wonder if its actual damage causing the issues I won't actually know. Sigh
    Some of the difficulties experienced by people with an acquired brain injury such as Hugo's can be similar to those experienced by people with ASD - it can be hard to tell which things are ASD related and which are brain injury related. Ultimately though, this distinction won't change his treatment/management too much I wouldn't think. Therapists will be targeting the behaviours, cognition, emotional difficulties that present regardless of their cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahalfdozen it sounds like the paed and speech appt went pretty well. It's great to hear they all agree that he's ready for school next year. And great that you found some shoes! Hopefully they'll be a bit cooler in summer for him.

Monnie - Wow, great news about the toileting! It's certainly something that can be challenging for kids on the spectrum, so it's great he seems to be giving it a go so young.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mr4 just got very aggressive. Hasn't done it for a little while, but he's been really off this week so it doesn't come as a surprise. We have a little chair that I kind of pin him into and cover him with my body (he's very responsive to deep pressure) and talk him through breathing exercises. All the while he is kicking my thighs and hitting/slapping/punching my back.
    I am so physically exhausted today as I did a big clean out of the spare room which included moving furniture around etc, and I hit the [metaphorical] wall about an hour ago as it is. Suffice to say, I'm going to struggle through dinner as best I can and get the kids off to bed I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone seen those Octopus watches? They are a preorder on Kickstarter at the moment. We are seriously thinking about one for Mr4. He uses timers for everything. Really struggles to function without them so I think this will be a huge help. Just thought I'd share in case someone else might be interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Has anyone seen those Octopus watches? They are a preorder on Kickstarter at the moment. We are seriously thinking about one for Mr4. He uses timers for everything. Really struggles to function without them so I think this will be a huge help. Just thought I'd share in case someone else might be interested.
    Yes I saw Parkers mum share them on FB. She's on my bugaboo page etc lol. (He has Down syndrome) DS is only 2.5 so not really at that stage yet.

I got DS NDIS stuff finally but I lost kids birth certs moving so this is proving to cost a bloody fortune! $90 express certs etc and I got his reports but I'm too dumb to understand the lingo I better learn considering I'm learning it at uni. Sigh.

I said DS didn't line things up at his assessment but he's just started! But he doesn't with toys? Like in the kitchen he will get the peanut butter, Vegemite, Promite etc in draw and rearrange it several times! It's very interesting to watch then do the same in spices.

We might have a new house so fx!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am about to walk into NDIS office.

Also have a haden program I'm starting no kids. Yay. Have any of u guys done this? My speech suggested? It's funded by NDIS she's not billing me until we get approved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I almost did hadden you are lucky. It is worth it.

How was NDIS?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    I almost did hadden you are lucky. It is worth it.

How was NDIS?
    They said 21 days until someone phones to see if I'm approved blah blah. I'm feeling sick today but I think I'll still go 😒 I don't often get go away to these things

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's Haden program?