+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Good luck!!

Can I ask is anyone else planning on having anymore kids? I want another baby. But in hear conflicting advice. Even our speech said there is evidence it's genetic. :/ my friend has four autistic boys in her family and her daughter too.

Right now it's not possible as I had my tubes done but everyday all I think about is babies! and of course my family.
    We have 4 kids. They are 6, 4, 3 and 2. My 4yo is ASD and he was diagnosed 3 months after my youngest was born. We are actively trying for another right now. We definitely took the risks into account and honestly, I think that's why this one is a much larger gap. We were scared to consider another one until my youngest cleared 2 years old and had no "obvious signs". I know it doesn't mean anything but it gave us more confidence.
    It is rife within my family on my fathers side. Mostly undiagnosed but so hideously obvious that it's undeniable. At least 4 of my aunts/uncles I would guess, plus cousins etc. With a few diagnosed. There have been questions raised about myself also. So we just figure if it's going to happen, it will anyways.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    We have 4 kids. They are 6, 4, 3 and 2. My 4yo is ASD and he was diagnosed 3 months after my youngest was born. We are actively trying for another right now. We definitely took the risks into account and honestly, I think that's why this one is a much larger gap. We were scared to consider another one until my youngest cleared 2 years old and had no "obvious signs". I know it doesn't mean anything but it gave us more confidence.
    It is rife within my family on my fathers side. Mostly undiagnosed but so hideously obvious that it's undeniable. At least 4 of my aunts/uncles I would guess, plus cousins etc. With a few diagnosed. There have been questions raised about myself also. So we just figure if it's going to happen, it will anyways.
    I definitely think my husband has ASD he also agrees within the diagnosing period. His mum disagrees etc. thank you

I want to wait until I get my P's as I can now just so she'd to juggle everything! I'm hoping I can get assistance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Can I ask is anyone else planning on having anymore kids? I want another baby. But in hear conflicting advice. Even our speech said there is evidence it's genetic. :/ my friend has four autistic boys in her family and her daughter too.
    Not planning to have more children. I have a list a mile long of why I don't want to have another baby, and the possibility of having a child with ASD is certainly on that list.

Funny you should bring this up - my DH got emotional last night as he is scared that there will be no one to watch out for DS when he's older He kind of wishes we had a little smart girl like Lisa Simpson who would be able to help take care of our boy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck!!

Right now it's not possible as I had my tubes done but everyday all I think about is babies! ������ and of course my family.

Last night DS was sensory bouncing on bed hit head on frame blood everywhere. I was thinking **** pleass have teeth still thankfully he's ok. Are u sure we can't put the trampoline inside ������
    We aren't having any more kids (not my choice!), but we did have genetic counselling when we were considering it. Following the testing we found out the DD has a genetic abnormality that DH and I don't carry, so the risk of any future children having ASD was very small.

Glad your DS is okay! Maybe a mini trampoline inside?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    We aren't having any more kids (not my choice!), but we did have genetic counselling when we were considering it. Following the testing we found out the DD has a genetic abnormality that DH and I don't carry, so the risk of any future children having ASD was very small.
    Our Paed mentioned this genetic testing literally 5 minutes ago but didn't go into it too much. Would you mind telling me a bit about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have had genetic testing twice in 2014 and this year on DS. Not sure if you followed our post when he was sick? They redid it for when he was going through his assessment. What am I meant to be looking for saji? I'm confused 😱 is there something j can request for in future pregnancies?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The way genetic testing was explained to us was that approximately 10% of people with an ASD diagnosis have an underlying genetic abnormality that is likely (not definitely!) responsible for their symptoms. So, for the vast majority of people with ASD (90%), nothing will show up on genetic testing and the 'cause' is often unknown.

One of the conditions they particularly like to rule out in females is Fragile X syndrome, and for this I had a blood test (so DD didn't have to). It is passed down on the X chromosome, so if the mother doesn't have it, the kids can't. Fragile X is quite severe in boys, so they might not need to test for that in your cases (as it would probably already have been picked up), but in girls it can be really mild and cause symptoms of ASD.

Other than the blood test, DD had a cheek swab, which is used for a chromosome microarray. This tested for abnormalities on all of her chromosomes. In our case, she was one of the 10% that came back positive for an abnormality (a large deletion of approx 40 genes). DH and I then had to be tested to see if we were carriers of the abnormality. If we were carriers, this would obviously impact our chances of having another child with ASD, but we could test for the chromosome abnormality in utero or via IVF.

The deletion also means that DD has a 50% chance of passing this abnormality on to her children. When the time comes, she can either test for the abnormality in utero OR go through IVF and test at the embryo stage.

So, Monnie, it's only something you can check for in future pregnancies if something showed up on the genetic testing in the first place.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    The way genetic testing was explained to us was that approximately 10% of people with an ASD diagnosis have an underlying genetic abnormality that is likely (not definitely!) responsible for their symptoms. So, for the vast majority of people with ASD (90%), nothing will show up on genetic testing and the 'cause' is often unknown.

One of the conditions they particularly like to rule out in females is Fragile X syndrome, and for this I had a blood test (so DD didn't have to). It is passed down on the X chromosome, so if the mother doesn't have it, the kids can't. Fragile X is quite severe in boys, so they might not need to test for that in your cases (as it would probably already have been picked up), but in girls it can be really mild and cause symptoms of ASD.

Other than the blood test, DD had a cheek swab, which is used for a chromosome microarray. This tested for abnormalities on all of her chromosomes. In our case, she was one of the 10% that came back positive for an abnormality (a large deletion of approx 40 genes). DH and I then had to be tested to see if we were carriers of the abnormality. If we were carriers, this would obviously impact our chances of having another child with ASD, but we could test for the chromosome abnormality in utero or via IVF.

The deletion also means that DD has a 50% chance of passing this abnormality on to her children. When the time comes, she can either test for the abnormality in utero OR go through IVF and test at the embryo stage.

So, Monnie, it's only something you can check for in future pregnancies if something showed up on the genetic testing in the first place.
    Thanks that's very interesting. Fragile X came back negative. Hugo has large amount of white matter damage from his virus though I'm starting to wonder if its actual damage causing the issues I won't actually know. Sigh

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm tended to think there may be little use in us getting the testing. One look at my family and you know where it's come from. We have ADHD through the family as well. I have a relative that has to live in a care home full time due to the severity of his autism. As well as a million and one other anecdotal instances. So I would assume my chances are higher than average of producing another (it's been mentioned how "lucky" we are that only 1 of our 4 has it). I don't know, I could be naive but I think my son is set to have a great life because I have done my darnedest to make sure he has the absolute best support around him 100% of the time and I guess realistically, nothing says my other kids won't have hardships either. I think because of my extended family, and how successful (several doctorates in all maths/science/engineering subjects) some of them are, I carry a lot of hope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am struggling. I can't handle my kids. All they do is fight constantly and I get so angry. Eg dd will be like DS hurt me ok move dd away you sit here 'hands aren't for hitting' they are for clapping blah blah we go through all that bull**** as its a new way I'm trying to go through as I have previously smacked yes. Then she will purposely go over and antagonise him. I'm like why did u do this because I can! They don't have iPads or anything like that they prob watch too much tv but we goto park daily.

I'm just exhausted. I'm scared to go home to DH as tonight I had to ask mum to come over and put them to bed