+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi all,
    My Ds turns 7 this Friday. He has ADHD / ASD. Both mild and he has an aide in the classroom.
    Over the last 18m + we've been going to an awesome speech therapist and occupational therapist and he's shown amazing improvement. Still lots to work on but I hardly hear of any incidents from school.
    He is on 1/2 Ritalin tab, which is a very, very low dose (been on it since March 2015) and I'm looking to trial a morning without it (so we can drop the 12pm tablet at school). I think therapy is really helping.
    He does test my patience most days still!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It’s been busy in here!

DD only has an ASD diagnosis at this stage. She definitely doesn’t have ADHD, but I imagine she will probably meet criteria for an anxiety disorder some time down the track. Re: medications, I can certainly understand people’s hesitation, I would urge you not rule it out completely. I have seen it work absolute wonders in some children who had tried many other avenues and have spoken to a number of adults who articulated to me just how important and life changing their medication was when they were young and at school.

Ahalfdozen, the school your son is going to sounds fantastic. What a great transition program for him. And the principal’s readiness to not only do further ASD training, but also pay for it is amazing!

White Mage – Gymnastics looks lots of fun! Both my kids have done it at various stages. DS because he has way too much energy, and DD because it really helped her core strength (she has low muscle tone). I am sorry to hear about your terrible GP visit. I would be annoyed that the GP was frustrated….surely they should ‘get it’? How did you go with your DS1’s paed appt? When does NDIS roll out for you guys?

Degrassi – Sorry to hear your DS is having some difficulties at preschool. Can you identify any triggers, etc? My DD becomes really defiant when she’s anxious/tired/overwhelmed with life and it’s always a reminder for me to slow things down and start the ‘detective’ process to figure out what’s going on. It sounds like you’ve got a good plan in terms of a meeting with the preschool and your therapists. Hopefully they can come up with some strategies to try. And there’s still quite a while before the end of the year, so try not to stress too much about school yet. So much can change in such a short time.

Monnie – definitely use the medication while flying! It’s not only going to make it easier for you, but for your DS as well.

As for us, DD has lots of ‘extra’ stuff at school this term (book week, footy day, school production, first excursion with her class) so we are just trying to prepare her as best we can and keep our weekends really quiet for her to recover from all the stress that changes bring. She’s coping okay at the moment and her sleep has improved somewhat since we started a meditation track for her prior to sleeping. We were getting close to checking in with a paed/psych to see what options we had re: sleep as it really affects her level of functioning. I’m glad it’s settled for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2BlueBirds View Post
    Hi all,
    My Ds turns 7 this Friday. He has ADHD / ASD. Both mild and he has an aide in the classroom.
    Over the last 18m + we've been going to an awesome speech therapist and occupational therapist and he's shown amazing improvement. Still lots to work on but I hardly hear of any incidents from school.
    He is on 1/2 Ritalin tab, which is a very, very low dose (been on it since March 2015) and I'm looking to trial a morning without it (so we can drop the 12pm tablet at school). I think therapy is really helping.
    He does test my patience most days still!!!
    Is your DS at a public school? It's rare for ASD/ADHD to qualify for an aide in Victoria!

It's great that therapy seems to be helping your DS - it's amazing how far our kids can come with the right support network in place, isn't it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @sajimum thank you I've since spoken to DS's speechie (who did a session at preschool today) and she suggested we might want to see our paed again in terms of discussing our new concerns, so we're booked in for the 20th of October.

Pleased to report he actually had a really good day at preschool behaviour wise today. When DH picked him up and found out DS was a good boy, he shed a little tear of relief! DH really seems to worry about the future for DS, whereas I try not to think that far in advance and live in the present. I think sometimes it hurts the dads deeply to see their child/ren struggle and they often internalise a lot of their feelings.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    @sajimum thank you I've since spoken to DS's speechie (who did a session at preschool today) and she suggested we might want to see our paed again in terms of discussing our new concerns, so we're booked in for the 20th of October.

Pleased to report he actually had a really good day at preschool behaviour wise today. When DH picked him up and found out DS was a good boy, he shed a little tear of relief! DH really seems to worry about the future for DS, whereas I try not to think that far in advance and live in the present. I think sometimes it hurts the dads deeply to see their child/ren struggle and they often internalise a lot of their feelings.
    What a relief that he had a good day! The anxiety of not knowing how they're going can be such a horrible feeling - your DH must have been so relieved. My DH also internalises his feelings, but I am the one who stresses the most out of the two of us I think.

The wait to see paeds is always so long, isn't it? Was your speech therapist able to give any clues as to why the change in behaviour?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    What a relief that he had a good day! The anxiety of not knowing how they're going can be such a horrible feeling - your DH must have been so relieved. My DH also internalises his feelings, but I am the one who stresses the most out of the two of us I think.

The wait to see paeds is always so long, isn't it? Was your speech therapist able to give any clues as to why the change in behaviour?
    I actually expected a worse wait time for the paed! We are on the list to call if there's a cancellation, so could be sooner.

Speech therapist isn't sure why he's regressed - we can only try our best now to get him back on track. New strategies and all. She thought it was worth exploring the ADHD diagnosis though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (25-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our paed diagnosed it Degrassi. He asked me some formal questions about him. We did a trial run on a low dose of meds to see if it would help. After the meds seem to react and help, he formally diagnosed it.

The NDIS rolls about this time next year for us.

DS1s Paed appointment went OK. We will be going back for a formal appointment about the medicare 20 sessions.
    And to review his new meds... Larger dose, slow release and lasts longer.
    Last edited by White Mage; 24-08-2016 at 20:09.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (24-08-2016),sajimum  (25-08-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We managed to get a daycare to take my two littlest kids tomorrow for an hour in town, so both hubby and I can go to the Paed appointment. We will have to take our 6yo with us though as he was too old for the day care and obviously Mr4 will be with us.

We want to just have him looked at and work out if we are on the right track with therapies etc. and also ask questions about possibility of ADD/ADHD and dyslexia. We also have his psych appointment and then Speech and OT on Friday so big two days for us.
    *Sigh* best get off to bed I suppose. Up and out the door by 5:30 so we can get everything done.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    We managed to get a daycare to take my two littlest kids tomorrow for an hour in town, so both hubby and I can go to the Paed appointment. We will have to take our 6yo with us though as he was too old for the day care and obviously Mr4 will be with us.

We want to just have him looked at and work out if we are on the right track with therapies etc. and also ask questions about possibility of ADD/ADHD and dyslexia. We also have his psych appointment and then Speech and OT on Friday so big two days for us.
    *Sigh* best get off to bed I suppose. Up and out the door by 5:30 so we can get everything done.
    Good luck!!

Can I ask is anyone else planning on having anymore kids? I want another baby. But in hear conflicting advice. Even our speech said there is evidence it's genetic. :/ my friend has four autistic boys in her family and her daughter too.

Right now it's not possible as I had my tubes done but everyday all I think about is babies! 😂 and of course my family.

Last night DS was sensory bouncing on bed hit head on frame blood everywhere. I was thinking **** pleass have teeth still thankfully he's ok. Are u sure we can't put the trampoline inside 😁