+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 49 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Well. I have an interview with the school principal on Monday to officially square away getting Mr4.5 enrolled into "big school" for next year. *sigh* Gee whizz it really snuck up on me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    Well. I have an interview with the school principal on Monday to officially square away getting Mr4.5 enrolled into "big school" for next year. *sigh* Gee whizz it really snuck up on me.
    Hard to believe it's August already!

Good luck with the interview, hope it all goes well

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been touching base with her a bit through the year so we already have a pretty decent rapport. I guess this is just to make it more formal and so we can actually get started on his transition program that we already discussed.
    He goes to preschool which is on school grounds, in the next door classroom to where he will be next year. So the plan is to start him with half a day, once a week in the class. And slowly add more so by the end of the year, he will be in the class 3 full days a week. Which I think is going to be fantastic for him. Plus he already knows the teachers and the kids in the class (one of whom is his older brother, who will still be in the same class next year as it's a composite class).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like a great transition program! I am sure it will be especially helpful having his older brother in the class. Has he coped okay at kinder this year?

I have a meeting with DD's teacher tomorrow and plan to discuss transition to Grade 1 and also put forward some hints about the type of teacher that I think would suit her next year. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He copes okay most days. But we're all pretty confident he will go okay. It's a little country school so he is only one of two starting next year and will be in a class of maybe 10 kids. If that. So he will get loads of one on one. And the principal has already made it clear that she is willing to accommodate all his little things (eg his headphones, lap blanket, etc) and has also said she will continuously monitor how he is going and think of ways to improve things for him, like if he needs a standing desk or anything.
    At the moment, the preschool kids go out to the school playground at morning tea with the school kids. Some days he struggles a bit with that but from what I have seen (I manage the canteen so I am there a lot) they deal with it okay. Make sure kids leave him alone if he needs it and stuff.
    He's going to be the only child at he school with autism so they are very readily listening and taking guidance off me which is very reassuring.

His speech and OT both know he is starting next year and have been working on that and both agree there is no issue they can foresee. We are meeting with his psych and Paed next week to get their okay with it also.
    It's just becoming so real. And I'm really looking forward to him going from "little boy" and seeing what kind of young man he becomes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lots of kids starting school 😱😱😱

Does the funding provide SSO etc?

We have had our second app/revue diagnosis thing and she said Hugo def has ASD. I have been horrible and angry all week. I got a massage and cried the whole time. Isn't it strange you know something's wrong but when you hear it so different. He's level 2 & 1? She said he's very bright and would moreso call him Aspergers but they aren't allowed to say that anymore. I'm having issues with ndis. Like I can't even get paperwork issues 😡😱

I am struggling so I think I need some anti depressants I just get flustered so easy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Lots of kids starting school

We have had our second app/revue diagnosis thing and she said Hugo def has ASD. I have been horrible and angry all week. I got a massage and cried the whole time. Isn't it strange you know something's wrong but when you hear it so different. He's level 2 & 1? She said he's very bright and would moreso call him Aspergers but they aren't allowed to say that anymore. I'm having issues with ndis. Like I can't even get paperwork issues

I am struggling so I think I need some anti depressants I just get flustered so easy.
    I don't know anything about NDIS as we aren't covered by that yet, but it took something like 9 months to get my HCWA funding done. It was a painful wait.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Lots of kids starting school

We have had our second app/revue diagnosis thing and she said Hugo def has ASD. I have been horrible and angry all week. I got a massage and cried the whole time. Isn't it strange you know something's wrong but when you hear it so different. He's level 2 & 1? She said he's very bright and would moreso call him Aspergers but they aren't allowed to say that anymore. I'm having issues with ndis. Like I can't even get paperwork issues

Hugs Monnie

I know what you mean - you know something isn't right with your child, but having it confirmed makes it real. And it hurts. Having a good cry helps.

So it sounds like H is somewhere in between mild (1) and moderate (2).

When we were preparing to navigate the NDIS, we had a consultant from Aspect come out to help us prepare for our meeting (it was a free service). There should be a similar service available in your state. It's good to have someone explain everything to you. You can either self manage your funding, or choose a service provider to coordinate your funding for therapies (this is called a transdisciplinary approach). I know a few parents who self manage, but we prefer the transdisciplinary approach.

It's a daunting time - be sure to look after yourself hon. Many parents of ASD kids are on antidepressants at various times as it can push you to your emotional limit. Don't hesitate to look into it if you think it'll help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @sajimum can you tell me a bit about 'transition'?

I've heard the term thrown around a lot, but I'm yet to have a discussion about it with the school or anything. Still waiting for a more formal notification about DS's placement so we can move forward with everything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are 'Transition Programs'

When DS1 was going from Preschool - School. His school teacher, and PreSchool teacher and myself came together for an informative class, where they outlined some of the basic Autistic special needs stuff, and what things you can do to help your childs first days go smoothly.

It also gives the chance for the preschool teacher to pass on information about your child, things that have been working for them, and what to expect in certain situations, it helps the teacher better set up their year plan and help your child settle in as best they can. Also you throw in all the information on your child. You can set up a SSG (Special Support Group) where after this particular session ends, you can make your own meetings if you feel you need to to continue discussing your child.

There is also like extensive orientation type things in some schools, that might help. The programs were set up by Early Intervention groups. But I am guessing if you ask the teachers if they know anything of any upcoming meetings, they usually have them right at the end of the year, around the time they are doing orientation.

Is this what you wanted to know Degrassi??

I am having a home day today, I woke up feeling pretty cruddy and miagraine.. I was going to take DS2 to see the doctor today to get the rest of his enrollment forms signed, but I really am not feeling it..