+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahalfdozen View Post
    I can't speak with regards to ASD children as mine is only starting school next year, but a friend of mine who had twins at NAPLAN age had one sent home with "lice" but not the other. The one sent home was behind in school a little and when she spoke to some other mums who had children that struggled, they also had "lice" and were sent home. I wouldn't know if it's all schools or anything but she says she doesn't trust the NAPLAN scores anymore.
    Interesting. I know schools often do what they can to skew marks. I remember when I was in primary school and had the year 6 test, we spent weeks prior solely studying the content that we were going to be tested on.
    If my DS does Naplan he is likely to not actually participate in it and probably score zero, which in turn will bring the school's overall mark down. So I guess it is quite possible they don't want him participating for this very reason. Which makes me think I should just let him do it..lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
    So DS1 is pretty awesome with numbers. He is the only one in the class that knows numbers in the 100s and 1000s. Pretty awesome.
    He also surprised the DH and I buy writing numbers by 5s in the hundreds.
    The issue is he doesn't know how to explain how it got there..
    But that's him with most things. He will do something and can't explain how he got there.

On a lighter note he is doing well at school. A bumpy start to this term as both his school aids were sick and the changes kind of pushed him to the edge. But he did ok.
    That's pretty amazing @White Mage - maybe he'll head towards a career in some maths/science area in the future! Does he enjoy working with numbers more than letters?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Does anyone have a child old enough to have sat Naplan yet? Or know much about it?
    I'm curious if schools would prefer kids with additional needs not to sit the test as it would often bring down their overall score.
    I just got asked if I want my DS to sit it... i was never asked when it came to my other neurotypical DS who does quite well academically... just wondering if there is an ulterior motive here.
    DD isn't old enough to sit NAPLAN yet but I have certainly heard of lots of kids with ASD being asked to avoid coming in. I have also heard of parents of ASD kids opting out of NAPLAN due to the anxiety/stress it causes their children.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    DD isn't old enough to sit NAPLAN yet but I have certainly heard of lots of kids with ASD being asked to avoid coming in. I have also heard of parents of ASD kids opting out of NAPLAN due to the anxiety/stress it causes their children.
    I did some googling and it does seem to be a common theme. The issue has even been highlighted in the media several times. It does seem to be done mostly to skew the results of the school which in turn does not address the needs of the children that are struggling.
    If it's done to address an anxiety issue, i think that is fine but that right should also extend to the neurotypical kids that are feeling that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi.
    My son has ASD was diagnosed at 3 yrs old he is now 6 yrs old in a special needs support class at school and loving it we receive weekly OT and fortnightly speech and have received physio on the past.
    My son also has Global developmental delay so still quite delayed in speech and learning comprehension at school so working on that at the moment also delayed in toilet training and mentally somethings he does can tell he is behind.
    My son has calmed down a lot since starting school (wonderful small school very understanding no meltdowns after) and starting to let his personality shine though very cheeky but happy.
    We are with ndis and has been wonderful have gotten therapy and resources from them and they are so understanding have had no problems.
    Last edited by Mum to a miracle; 26-05-2016 at 16:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Welcome @Mum to a miracle

Nice to hear your DS is thriving in the support class

My DS starts school next year and we've decided to apply for a support class placement also. Whilst I feel he's continuing to make so much progress, I can't risk putting him straight into a main****** class as I fear his support needs may not be met.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mod-Degrassi.

Yes very proud of my son he had a grandparents day concert today and got up and sang and danced (with music and his class) and had fun.

We were the same when we had to enroll my son in school we approached our local main****** primary school but they couldn't offer him any support whatsoever so we went out of area and found a wonderful school with the multi-cat support class this yr my son only has 5 students in the class and 2 teachers (one teacher and one aide) but they get to do everything the school does (it's a main****** school with the support classes in it) they do assemblies together have excursions do sports carnivals sports days etc very interactive and supportive and the older main******/support class kids are great towards the younger ones no bullying they help and play together we are a very small (under 150 students) community school so everyone gets involved.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum to a miracle For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (01-06-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't written in a bit..
    I went at looked at a special school today for Davin next year, it is the mild special needs school. I had Davin with me, and as we went through I got frustrated with the fact that he just wouldn't be still.. but it highlighted that the school we saw today is probably not the right one for him.
    I will be looking at his special developmental school next term.

I know I should just go with the flow, but I am just having problem processing things lately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh. My eldest was invited to a birthday part at Tunzafun which was meant to be on the weekend just past, but the birthday boy got sick and so the party was rescheduled for after school today.
    Sadly I had to pull out because I couldn't find anyone to watch my younger son. I broke the news to the mum today and she asked me why I didn't bring the youngest along? I felt like it was a weak excuse, but the truth is bring my youngest in Tunzafun is not what I would call fun. It's not really an indoor playground or even appropriate for his age. And he does not understand danger. It is also extremely noisy in there and overwhelming amount of kids, he wouldn't be able to handle it.... I also have to watch my eldest too...
    So yeah..I feel like a bad mum because I ruined another opportunity for him.
    I ended up also bringing the birthday boys present to school pick up today so my son could give it to him.
    *sigh* Such a lonely life sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hugs @White Mage

It's tough to have to miss out on stuff like this, but we know our own children so well - part of this is knowing when an outing is likely to become a nightmare. It simply isn't worth the anguish sometimes

I hope your little guy gets another party invite soon.