+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    That's fantastic! Sounds like your DD has adapted so well to school
    I think the structure of school really suits her. I have a few minor things to bring up during our SSG meeting in a couple of weeks, but nothing too major. It's been really nice to take a break from therapies for a while (she is still doing OT, but that's at school) I must say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    We got discharged from speech therapy yesterday! We will probably re-engage at a later date, but for now the therapist is happy with how DD is going. She is working at an age expected level on the tasks they were focusing on and given there have been very few issues at school the therapist feels that she isn't really adding anything to her care at the moment. It will be nice to have one less thing to try to fit in!
    Omg!! Wonderful news!!! 1 less thing to think about for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hope everyone's Easter was good. I hope your holiday break goes smoothly!
    I am already counting down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Finally have a letter of diagnosis for my 8yr old son. It's taken us 5years to get this far! Can't wait to see what his school has to say now!
    I'm feeling very relieved. No more fighting for help.
    Still working on Mr 3. He should have been the easy one to diagnose but they are taking their time deciding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie Stackedhouse View Post
    Finally have a letter of diagnosis for my 8yr old son. It's taken us 5years to get this far! Can't wait to see what his school has to say now!
    I'm feeling very relieved. No more fighting for help.
    Still working on Mr 3. He should have been the easy one to diagnose but they are taking their time deciding.
    I don't want to sound negative but I really hope your experiences are better than mine have been because for my family the diagnosis was only the beginning of "the Fight". We have had to be constant advocates to get help for our son. It seems like we haven't stopped fighting even with a diagnosis.

Hope things work out differently for you.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skye Baby For This Useful Post:

Sookie Stackedhouse  (12-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's always been a fight for us. I don't imagine that will change. But I have to celebrate the steps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Skye Baby View Post
    I don't want to sound negative but I really hope your experiences are better than mine have been because for my family the diagnosis was only the beginning of "the Fight". We have had to be constant advocates to get help for our son. It seems like we haven't stopped fighting even with a diagnosis.

Hope things work out differently for you.
    Same here unfortunately. Having the diagnosis just meant DS went from 'bad kid' to 'kid with ASD'. Once a school has that ASD diagnosis in their hands, it's a free ticket to suspensions, exclusions, abuse and other discrimatory practices.
    Handing the diagnosis over was the biggest mistake i ever made. I've heard others say the same too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Skye Baby  (15-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    So DS1 is pretty awesome with numbers. He is the only one in the class that knows numbers in the 100s and 1000s. Pretty awesome.
    He also surprised the DH and I buy writing numbers by 5s in the hundreds.
    The issue is he doesn't know how to explain how it got there..
    But that's him with most things. He will do something and can't explain how he got there.

On a lighter note he is doing well at school. A bumpy start to this term as both his school aids were sick and the changes kind of pushed him to the edge. But he did ok.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to White Mage For This Useful Post:

sajimum  (04-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Does anyone have a child old enough to have sat Naplan yet? Or know much about it?
    I'm curious if schools would prefer kids with additional needs not to sit the test as it would often bring down their overall score.
    I just got asked if I want my DS to sit it... i was never asked when it came to my other neurotypical DS who does quite well academically... just wondering if there is an ulterior motive here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Does anyone have a child old enough to have sat Naplan yet? Or know much about it?
    I'm curious if schools would prefer kids with additional needs not to sit the test as it would often bring down their overall score.
    I just got asked if I want my DS to sit it... i was never asked when it came to my other neurotypical DS who does quite well academically... just wondering if there is an ulterior motive here.
    I can't speak with regards to ASD children as mine is only starting school next year, but a friend of mine who had twins at NAPLAN age had one sent home with "lice" but not the other. The one sent home was behind in school a little and when she spoke to some other mums who had children that struggled, they also had "lice" and were sent home. I wouldn't know if it's all schools or anything but she says she doesn't trust the NAPLAN scores anymore.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ahalfdozen For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (02-05-2016)