+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    IMO balance bikes are a waste of money! DP wanted one for our 2 year old... I told him we should just get a normal kiddies bike and take the pedals off to start with (put them back on later when she can balance a bit better) but nooooo, we had to have the real deal. The real, expensive, deal.
    Some bikes don't have removable pedals though, well the pedals might come off but the metal bit that connects the pedal to the bike might not.

We loved our balance bikes. My then 6yo DD still couldn't ride a bike so DH grinded off the pedals and effectively made it a big balance bike, still took her a good few months. Poor kid got my coordination skills😂

DS1 had just turned 3 and was riding his big boy bike with pedals and never had training wheels because he learned how to balance using the balance bike.

And DS2 is 2.5 and pretty quick on the balance bike now and learning how to balance and lift his feet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    IMO balance bikes are a waste of money! DP wanted one for our 2 year old... I told him we should just get a normal kiddies bike and take the pedals off to start with (put them back on later when she can balance a bit better) but nooooo, we had to have the real deal. The real, expensive, deal.
    But by the time they're ready for pedals wouldn't they have outgrown the bike? (Genuine question - like, are bikes adjustable for that much height difference?).

I found really good quality nice looking wooden balance bikes online for $40. So you can get ones that aren't too expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Christmas Gift Ideas

DS also had a balance bike at 2, we bought him a real bike at 3 and he was riding it no problems a week later, never had training wheels so I highly recommend a balance bike first!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

just her chameleon  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    But by the time they're ready for pedals wouldn't they have outgrown the bike? (Genuine question - like, are bikes adjustable for that much height difference?).

I found really good quality nice looking wooden balance bikes online for $40. So you can get ones that aren't too expensive
    We originally had a mocka wooden balance bike for DS1 but he left it outside too many times and it just got ruined. We bought him a metal one from kmart for $35 and it's still going strong 18 months later for DS2.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post

We just left the pedals on for dd, she wasn't yet 2 when she got her bike. It took her about 2weeks to figure out how to pedal. She's now had her bike for nearly 2yrs and yes its starting to get small but she is very tall. She's 3.5yrs now and rides with only one trainer wheel. We plan to take the other off at Christmas when we are away and have a straight stretch of level ground available for her.

It's how dh & I both learnt, it seems to be working for her

8. The Following User Says Thank You to michellek For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-11-2015)