+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Don't know what to do about my kitty :-(

It's so hard to know what to do. My cat is 15 years old and earlier this year we found out she has a cancer on her nose. It got bad quite quick but we got her some radiation. The black scabby thing almost disappeared and we thought she would be ok but it has come back and faster than before. She is still eating and using the kitty litter however she never goes outside anymore.
    She's got a constant open sore on her nose and she smells bad. (I don't know where the smell is coming from).
    I know we will have to probably put her to sleep eventually but I just don't know when.
    I don't want her on my lap because of the smell and feel guilty cos she just wants comfort. :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Don't know what to do about my kitty :-(

Do you feel like she is suffering? What an awful position to be in but if I were you I would try to find a way of being able to comfort her and masking the smell. It would be nice knowing she had her last bit of time being smothered with affection. Poor thing 😔 I would consult a vet and see what they recommend as they will do what's best for her without clouded judgement. Sorry that you are going through this 😔
    Last edited by TortoiseNotTheHare; 03-11-2015 at 21:22.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Is she quite physically elderly? She could smell because she can no longer groom herself effectively. If her quality of life is still ok I wouldn't put her to sleep yet. I would try brushing her and maybe a bath (with a cloth maybe, not submerged, something she will tolerate that isn't too stressful for her). And see if the vet can do anything about the open wound. She may feel too old to go outside but may still be happy inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the smell is either coming from her wound or her mouth. It's a sour sickly smell.
    She seems ok but you can tell she is sore/uncomfortable.
    I might try my luck at cleaning her with a damp cloth I think she will not like it lol.
    The two vets we have seen haven't said anything about the ulcer (it's the skin cancer eating away at her nose)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd definitely see if they can give you some sort of ointment to help her wound on her nose. Have they said it would be painful for her? If you think it's the wound then I wouldn't distress her more by washing all of her - she may not be able to handle that.

See if you can find out what can be done to help the skin on her nose or at least what they might be able to give her to ease the pain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All I was told was 'it's not painful for them just uncomfortable' yeah right how do you know this doc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's also had 2 seizures recently

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    *disclaimer - I'm a vet*

Older cats that smell can often have kidney problems. Does she drink or wee more than she used to? The SCC on her nose probably can't be improved by anything but a visit to the vet for a general health check - including blood tests and a good look at her mouth may not be a bad idea.

Feel free to pm me if you need.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    *disclaimer - I'm a vet*

Older cats that smell can often have kidney problems. Does she drink or wee more than she used to? The SCC on her nose probably can't be improved by anything but a visit to the vet for a general health check - including blood tests and a good look at her mouth may not be a bad idea.

Feel free to pm me if you need.
    We haven't noticed anymore drinking or weeing. We might have to take her back on the weekend.