+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Third birthday party..... What on earth happens?!!

My dd is turning 3 soon and we are having a small party in the backyard. I anticipate about 5 or 6 kids her age, and 2 or 3 a bit older, will be there (along with parents). I'm not having any theme, and it'll just be cake and party food (ie; not a meal or anything), but I'm at a complete loss as to how to fill in the time! (2 hours). Is she too young for games? If not, how many, and which ones? Gaaah! I'm not a natural 'child whisperer' and don't really have that knack of being able to gather children together and lead them in a game or read a story or whatever!!
    Help me out oh wise ones!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Games are fine at that age. Pass the parcel, musical bops, even a small piñata would be great at that age.

If it's going to be hot even some water pistols and balloons can be loads of fun (just warn the parents first).

I'm also not a really natural kid person so whenever we've had parties like that I do a running sheet of the afternoon so it doesn't get away from me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    300 posts in a week - week ended 11/9/14200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 11/9/14100 Posts in a week
    Hey OP,

Sounds like lots of fun! You mix up some cookie dough and get all sorts of chocolates/ lollies and have the kids make their own giant cookies? That takes up some time and the kids LOVE cooking. You could set up a little table outside and when they're finished just pop them in the oven.

You could also do musical statues and give out a little prize for the winner.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Face painting and bubble blowing is always a hit! Not sure if too young though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Games are good!
    A little treasure hunt
    Pass the parcel
    Musical bobs (play music, when it stops all the kids have to bob down and the last to bob down has to hop out)
    A lot of the time they'll just run around! Do you have a sand pit or water play table? A cubby? Even a table with play dough will be a hit.
    Oh and bubbles!! Give them all a $1 bubble wand from K-mart and it's happy days!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Treasure hunts are fantastic. We did one for one of my son's parties and DH made little maps for all the kids. They had a ball. The older kids can help the younger ones if you group them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We put up an inflatable water slide ( from target) and made cardboard cars ( painted like the Disney Cars characters) at DS 3rd birthday and they all spent hours playing with those! We did a treasure hunt but the parents obviously had to help , I did plan other games but they were too busy just running riot in the back yard!