+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Yes this one
    Attachment 75023

Your point being? France has the same guidelines than other developed countries
    Australia doesn't have this label.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just think alcohol consumption is so counter intuitive to growing a little life inside you that why would you want to?

and I'm no wowser or fun police killjoy, trust me.

tbh I thought I would really struggle with the no booze ban whilst being pregnant but it's been much easier than I thought. I'm so thankful for that!!

even though I have the odd urge of craving a wine, I just think we'll what's the point really. yes I'll enjoy it but growing a healthy little person is more important and I can have a wine after bub is earthside. is 9 months really that long to go without wine?

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-11-2015),just her chameleon  (03-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (03-11-2015),Tinkers  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Australia doesn't have this label.
    I know, I live here and I drink wine 😋

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    And I don't believe that 1 standard drink a month or a week is necessary when pregnant.

Hell I barely drink 1 standard drink a week not pregnant!
    That's fair and I agree it is not necessary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That's exactly right. It's a personal risk and depends on the individual take on the benefits/risks equations.

Guidelines are just that. Guidelines.

About FASDs I'm just waiting for a study to show that some kid was affected when a mum drunk 1 standard drink in her pregnancy. But they can't do that. They can't say 1 drink is ok or 10 or 20.
    So they say 0.

Personally I can't believe 1 standard drink a month or a week would put a children at risk.
    Of course they can't do a proper study to prove that. To be scientifically acceptable you would have to deliberately expose different people to different alcohol volumes while pregnant. I don't think that is going to get ethics approval somehow.

The program did say that any volume of alcohol at particular points in the pregnancy can have an impact (like with the facial features).

Is this the same hub where you can get flamed for sending your kid to school with a packet of tiny teddies, but hey drink alcohol while your pregnant - I mean what's the worst that could happen?

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),atomicmama  (04-11-2015),delirium  (04-11-2015),just her chameleon  (03-11-2015),kim85  (04-11-2015),MaximumStarlight  (04-11-2015),Stretched  (04-11-2015),Tamtam  (03-11-2015),TheGooch  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    Is this the same hub where you can get flamed for sending your kid to school with a packet of tiny teddies, but hey drink alcohol while your pregnant - I mean what's the worst that could happen?
    I think you'll find there are about 3 of us who admit to having the occasionally drink while pregnant. Hardly the forum. The rest judge us pretty harshly for doing it. And I'm also the one who admits my kids have had fruit loops for dinner on occasion so no I don't judge for people feeding their kids tiny teddies.

And I am seriously not advocating people should drink while pregnant. That would be stupidity at the extreme.

The majority of my pregnancies occurred quite a while ago. If I was pregnant today and watched 4 corners would I still have had a drink? Absolutely no way. But when I was pregnant the guidelines were different. And maybe I'm lucky it turned out OK for me.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (03-11-2015),harvs  (03-11-2015),MaximumStarlight  (04-11-2015),misskittyfantastico  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I think you'll find there are about 3 of us who admit to having the occasionally drink while pregnant. Hardly the forum. The rest judge us pretty harshly for doing it. And I'm also the one who admits my kids have had fruit loops for dinner on occasion so no I don't judge for people feeding their kids tiny teddies.

And I am seriously not advocating people should drink while pregnant. That would be stupidity at the extreme.

The majority of my pregnancies occurred quite a while ago. If I was pregnant today and watched 4 corners would I still have had a drink? Absolutely no way. But when I was pregnant the guidelines were different. And maybe I'm lucky it turned out OK for me.
    See... I don't judge you. Seriously. I just hope that as awareness grows in this stuff people can make more informed decisions.
    I love your response. .. because sometimes it takes a show like this. .. or even a thread like this to open our eyes and ponder all views.

I've learnt a lot on the hub in my time here and my views about lots of things have been challenged. Even this subject. Because I thought that heavy drinking was the cause of FAS but it would seem that perhaps this is not the case. I assumed it was caused by ignorant stupid people who drink to excess and continue to do so during pregnancy. . . But perhaps this just isn't true.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (04-11-2015),harvs  (03-11-2015),misskittyfantastico  (03-11-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    It's one of those things I think - the people that choose to abstain totally during pregnancy (and I was one) probably do so for reasons that when expressed sound judgey of others if that makes sense.

So, for me, I abstained from alcohol and also cigarettes from the minute I found out I was knocked up, because

- I am not a 'just one glass' type of drinker (doesn't sound judgey, just a bit pathetic);
    - I've worked with children with FASD and have seen what it can do (see? Sounds judgey but it is an experience that informed my choice)
    - out of all the horrible things that can happen to my child, this one is actually avoidable (see? Sounds judgey, but again, made sense to me for *myself*)
    - I knew that if I drank and miscarried I would blame myself for it whether warranted or not, and I knew that would be bad news
    - we know for a fact that there is no proven 100% safe limit (therefore risk management for me, might sound judgey but it is again logical to me)

-and on the balance of all those things, it seemed overwhelmingly not worth it.

That's the choice that I made for myself. I'll be honest, for me it was/remains pretty black and white.

But to be fair, like I have said multiple times on the Hub, if it's legal, then it's about risk management for the individual (if they have all the information required), and I have to respect that other women have the right to assess and manage their own risks.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

akakura  (05-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),atomicmama  (04-11-2015),delirium  (04-11-2015),Gentoo  (03-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post

I asked my ob point blank each pregnancy about drinking and was told that in moderation it's fine (paraphrasing obviously). My kids are 10, 8 and 4 and after watching the 4 Corners ep, I feel really, really lucky that nothing happened to my kids. I only ever had the odd drink but yeah, very lucky. Especially seeing FAS in our community,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    You should watch the show. If you drink at a certain time in your pregnancy then your child could have facial features typical of fas-d.
    I've only read along until now and did not watch the show in discussion.

My SIL had TWO beers (now considered 3 standard drinks?) in the second trimester while out at dinner for her and my brothers anniversary. My nephew (now 12) has many facial features of FAS-D. Low ears, wide set eyes, no bridge and the upper lip doesnt have that bit between the nose (I don't know what it's called sorry). If you didn't know what you were looking at you would have no idea. He is an incredibly smart young man who is not delayed, extremely good at sport and seemingly normal in appearance. I don't believe it is a coincidence that he has these features. His sisters, do not have the same features and SIL didn't drink at all during those pregnancies.

It has been made very clear for a very long time (20years+, I know this because I remember being mortified when my cousin drank while pregnant with her now 22 year old, I was 9 and even I knew better?...) that alcohol in pregnancy is not considered safe. I don't believe many people knew FAS-D was the potential outcome though. I don't think people really knew the potential outcomes at all, just that they shouldn't do it.

I'm sure I read last week or the week before that the new data released indicates that 'alcohol is contraindicated in pregnancy' and that it is no longer 'there is no known safe level of alcohol in pregnancy'. Could be wrong.

Drinking during pregnancy is a personal choice but I call bs on the people who say they took the advice of their health care provider who said a drink here or there is safe. We have known for a long time that it is best to abstain and to me saying 'oh but my Ob said it was fine' sounds like the person is looking for a reason to validate their decsion to have a drink. You already knew it wasn't considered safe by world standards but you still asked one person for their opinion. It doesn't take a highly intelligent person to know that it is not considered safe at any level either. There are exceptions to this but they are very very few. I know of people who grew up around excessive alcohol, who hardly ever go to a dr (or any medical professional for that matter) and never attended their ante natal appts because they didn't think they were important. These people live a very isolated life and are illiterate so wouldn't know what the side of a beer bottle says.

I love a cold beer (or few) and there was nothing I wanted more at 4am Sunday morning to celebrate the All Blacks winning the rugby but my interpretation of risks vs benefit (because I too am intelligent) meant I knew that it wasn't worth the risk.

How many of us didn't take folic acid during pregnancy because the chances of neural tube defects are low? Or, did we still take it despite the fact because we knew the benefit of taking it outweighed the risk of not taking it?.......

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Anndrosa  (04-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-11-2015),just her chameleon  (03-11-2015),kim85  (04-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),M'LadyEm  (03-11-2015),VicPark  (04-11-2015)