+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 218
  1. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Did you even watch the show?
    No TV. But I can read thank you

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Did you watch the program?
    They spoke about how they can't actually say it is safe etc.

    It didn't put binge drinking and occasional drinking in the same basket in the way you are implying.
    But that's my point, IMO that's exactly what they are implying by saying that there is no safe levels

  3. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks
    4,776
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I'm another one who had alcohol during all my pregnancies. And soft cheese. And raw meat. And sushis.

    I know what a standard drink is (in Australia you pour wine like its water!!). And I never even had one in one sitting. Always with food too.

    Risks and benefits and all that.

    It's pretty far pushed to put us all in the same basket with the one who binged drink...
    there's guidelines in place for a reason. that's great you chose to snub your nose at them and arrogantly assume you knew better and would be ok. and luckily, it worked out in your favour (I assume).

    but what if it hadn't?

    how would you have felt sitting in the hospital running over all the silly choices you made and wondering what it was that brought you harm?

    to me, as tough and annoying as it is, i'd rather avoid that scenario as much as I can and if it did happen, I could at least rest easy knowing I didn't court unnecessary danger by gobbling sushi or blue cheese when the guidelines quite clearly advise to stay away from them.

  4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (03-11-2015),Anndrosa  (04-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-11-2015),just her chameleon  (03-11-2015),kim85  (03-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (03-11-2015),Stretched  (04-11-2015),VicPark  (04-11-2015)

  5. #74
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,699
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,289
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    No TV. But I can read thank you
    Is it also part of French culture to be rude?

    Oh, wait!

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    kim85  (03-11-2015),turquoisecoast  (03-11-2015)

  7. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,699
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,289
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Just did some reading (yes, I can read too) and it appears that in France, they actually have a label on alcohol bottles stating that "consumption of alcoholic beverages during pregnancy, even in small quantities, can have serious health consequences to the child"

  8. #76
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks
    497
    Thanked
    1,588
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The 'I did X during my pregnancy and my kid is fine' gives me the pips.

    How many times have I read that anecdote is not evidence on BH?

    This is a serious issue with a growing evidence base that for some reason has been allowed to sit pretty unnoticed in Australia. With estimates of 500000 victims who need to have their condition recognised and get early intervention (or any intervention) I think a really open conversation on how to prevent this number growing needs to be had.

    After all it has to be one of the few foetal abnormalities that is 100% preventable.

  9. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

    AdornedWithCats  (03-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),atomicmama  (04-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-11-2015),Dougy  (05-11-2015),just her chameleon  (03-11-2015),kim85  (04-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),MaximumStarlight  (04-11-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (03-11-2015),smallpotatoes  (04-11-2015),Stretched  (04-11-2015),Tamtam  (03-11-2015),Tinkers  (03-11-2015),turquoisecoast  (03-11-2015)

  10. #77
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    there's guidelines in place for a reason. that's great you chose to snub your nose at them and arrogantly assume you knew better and would be ok. and luckily, it worked out in your favour (I assume).

    but what if it hadn't?

    how would you have felt sitting in the hospital running over all the silly choices you made and wondering what it was that brought you harm?

    to me, as tough and annoying as it is, i'd rather avoid that scenario as much as I can and if it did happen, I could at least rest easy knowing I didn't court unnecessary danger by gobbling sushi or blue cheese when the guidelines quite clearly advise to stay away from them.
    That's exactly right. It's a personal risk and depends on the individual take on the benefits/risks equations.

    Guidelines are just that. Guidelines.

    About FASDs I'm just waiting for a study to show that some kid was affected when a mum drunk 1 standard drink in her pregnancy. But they can't do that. They can't say 1 drink is ok or 10 or 20.
    So they say 0.

    Personally I can't believe 1 standard drink a month or a week would put a children at risk.

  11. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,321
    Thanks
    1,552
    Thanked
    2,537
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Just did some reading (yes, I can read too) and it appears that in France, they actually have a label on alcohol bottles stating that "consumption of alcoholic beverages during pregnancy, even in small quantities, can have serious health consequences to the child"
    Yes this one
    ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1446552414.022692.jpg

    Your point being? France has the same guidelines than other developed countries

  12. #79
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,699
    Thanks
    1,391
    Thanked
    7,289
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

    Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That's exactly right. It's a personal risk and depends on the individual take on the benefits/risks equations.

    Guidelines are just that. Guidelines.

    About FASDs I'm just waiting for a study to show that some kid was affected when a mum drunk 1 standard drink in her pregnancy. But they can't do that. They can't say 1 drink is ok or 10 or 20.
    So they say 0.

    Personally I can't believe 1 standard drink a month or a week would put a children at risk.
    You should watch the show. If you drink at a certain time in your pregnancy then your child could have facial features typical of fas-d.

  13. #80
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    1,701
    Thanked
    3,395
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That's exactly right. It's a personal risk and depends on the individual take on the benefits/risks equations.

    Guidelines are just that. Guidelines.

    About FASDs I'm just waiting for a study to show that some kid was affected when a mum drunk 1 standard drink in her pregnancy. But they can't do that. They can't say 1 drink is ok or 10 or 20.
    So they say 0.

    Personally I can't believe 1 standard drink a month or a week would put a children at risk.
    But that's just it. ... it's not a personal risk. ..because it *could* have consequences for the baby.

    I think it's a long shot too..that something may happen to the baby...but why take the risk.

    It's a totally 100% preventable syndrome. .. just not having alcohol for a short time. It's not a necessity.

  14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

    kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (03-11-2015),TheGooch  (03-11-2015),Tinkers  (03-11-2015),turquoisecoast  (03-11-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sewing - bias binding around corners
    By heartstringz in forum Crafts and Hobbies
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-05-2015, 15:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Babybee Prams
Save $50 in our pre-Christmas sale! All Comet's now only $500. Our bassinet & stroller set includes free shipping AUS wide, $75 free accessories, 18-months warranty & a 9 month free return policy. Check out our new designer range today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Innovations Sports Physiotherapy
Women’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer Post Natal Pilates Classes taken by our Physios. These classes help you rebuild strength through your Core and Pelvic Floor.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!