+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Are you trying to toot my horn?
    Who me? Wouldn't dare try and get a rise from your.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

There's a fine line between celebrating your successes and bragging/alluding that you are superior to others. People's perceptions in this are so different - those differences are probably where the conflict/talk poppy syndrome comes from.
    Parenting forums wouldn't exist if people didn't do this. The judgment that goes on constantly is evidence of that.

C'mon. You're clearly picking up on this in particular when it happens here all the time.
    Last edited by Sonja; 03-11-2015 at 21:29.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure. I think its a cultural thing. Tooting your own horn is not a popular part of Australian culture - rather it's seen as being knobby. Tall poppy syndrome etc. It's normalized to an extent in the US, but not Australia.
    It must be a cultural thing. As a French person I always found Australian people great at touting their own horns...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (04-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Is there any chance at all that this could get back on topic?
    Maybe those that have issues with tooting need to fart, I mean start a spin off thread?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (04-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),delirium  (04-11-2015),NoteToSelf  (03-11-2015),Wise Enough  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    to each his own but I think not drinking on your wedding night because you're ttc is quite extreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    How is that extreme? Many people abstain from alcohol while TTC. I didn't drink at my wedding because I chose not to. Is that extreme too? There definitely is a culture in Australia of drinking. I see it all the time, not just with the women I care for, but with the nurses and midwives I work with. I swear to god many a nurse or midwife are functioning alcoholics.

Part of our antenatal eduction at our antenatal clinic appointments is around alcohol consumption in pregnancy. From the booking in appointment we ask questions about alcohol consumption pre conception, post conception but before finding out about the pregnancy AND once pregnancy confirmed. At this stage we inform women that there is no known safe level of alcohol in pregnancy and the recommendations are to abstain completely. If anyone continues to drink they are recommended to attend the specialized drug (illegal and cigarettes) and alcohol clinic and then asked at every antenatal appointment how many drinks they've consumed since their last appointment and with focus on the same message of no known safe level. Frankly it blows my mind that so many people still drink during pregnancy. I also find it hard to believe that so many people don't seem to know about the risks of alcohol and fetal alcohol syndrome. Maybe my view is clouded because I'm well educated on the subject and I'm not the average joe in this area, but I'm surprised each and every time I meet someone who claims they didn't know. I even had this argument with my sister when she was pregnant as she was also of the mindset that the occasional beer was ok and nothing I said would change her mind.
    I really don't understand the drinking culture in Australia. I didn't have any less fun on my wedding day for not drinking! I wouldn't have cared if it took 10years to TTC. There is no known safe level to consume and that's not a risk I was willing to take.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Is there any chance at all that this could get back on topic?
    Maybe those that have issues with tooting need to fart, I mean start a spin off thread?
    Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm another one who had alcohol during all my pregnancies. And soft cheese. And raw meat. And sushis.

I know what a standard drink is (in Australia you pour wine like its water!!). And I never even had one in one sitting. Always with food too.

Risks and benefits and all that.

It's pretty far pushed to put us all in the same basket with the one who binged drink...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post

It's pretty far pushed to put us all in the same basket with the one who binged drink...
    Did you even watch the show?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm another one who had alcohol during all my pregnancies. And soft cheese. And raw meat. And sushis.

I know what a standard drink is (in Australia you pour wine like its water!!). And I never even had one in one sitting. Always with food too.

Risks and benefits and all that.

Did you watch the program?
    They spoke about how they can't actually say it is safe etc.

It didn't put binge drinking and occasional drinking in the same basket in the way you are implying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It must be a cultural thing. As a French person I always found Australian people great at touting their own horns...
    so are the French!

as a culture, Australians generally perceive themselves to be the underdog. any kind of tall poppy behavior is called out. totally the reverse of what it's like in the states where it's expected that you toot your own horn, as who else is going to do it for you. so funny all these little cultural nuances!

now, back on topic....