+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I've always found it interesting that historically people on here are horrified at the thought of a pg woman smoking. Even cutting down to 1 or 2 a day. I've seen huge judgment of them. But then when drinking while pg comes up people happily admit to drinking a few here and there. That moderation is fine, that it doesn't cross the placenta that much.... but nicotine does? I believe it's bc alcohol is so ingrained in our culture whereas smoking is treated as disgusting and smokers are treated as pariahs.
    I guess one difference that comes to mind is that it's unlikely that a health care provider would say a couple of smokes a day is fine, and it's widely known that smoking causes harm to unborn children.

The bottom line is, a gp or an ob should not be telling any woman that any amount of alcohol consumed during pregnancy is okay, as they cannot guarantee that, nor can they moderate the size or potency of 'one drink'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I must say too, that the first story, where they said drinking 7-8 standard drinks per day was acceptable to me was quite shocking. Pregnant or not.
    That's an unhealthy amount of alcohol on a daily basis surely.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),babyno1onboard  (03-11-2015),Tinkers  (03-11-2015),turquoisecoast  (03-11-2015),VicPark  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I know I'm in the minority on this (or at least I was in the minority on BH last time I saw a discussion on this) but I just don't think the risk is worth it. FAS-D is entirely preventable. There are so many things that can happen that you have no control over - this is one thing that you can have total control over, so to me its completely straightforward that pregnancy = no alcohol.

This. I refused to drink alcohol on my wedding day as we were TTC. Turned out I was pregnant and miscarried a few weeks later. I know I would have blamed myself forever if I'd drunk alcohol even though it most likely wouldn't have been the cause.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    nor can they moderate the size or potency of 'one drink'.
    They can give their patient a table explaining what constitutes a standard drink.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by just her chameleon View Post
    This. I refused to drink alcohol on my wedding day as we were TTC. Turned out I was pregnant and miscarried a few weeks later. I know I would have blamed myself forever if I'd drunk alcohol even though it most likely wouldn't have been the cause.
    to each his own but I think not drinking on your wedding night because you're ttc is quite extreme.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-11-2015),VicPark  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well I'll out myself. I drank alcohol through all of my pregnancies. Only 1-2 a week. But I did it and I never hid it nor am I ashamed of myself.

I am incredibly well educated with a high IQ. Judge away. I have 4 very healthy children 2 of which are borderline geniuses.

Not everyone who does it is stupid or clueless. 7 a day = a moron irregardless of pregnancy.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (03-11-2015),BettyW  (04-11-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (03-11-2015),Meld85  (04-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    to each his own but I think not drinking on your wedding night because you're ttc is quite extreme.
    How is that extreme? Many people abstain from alcohol while TTC. I didn't drink at my wedding because I chose not to. Is that extreme too? There definitely is a culture in Australia of drinking. I see it all the time, not just with the women I care for, but with the nurses and midwives I work with. I swear to god many a nurse or midwife are functioning alcoholics.

Part of our antenatal eduction at our antenatal clinic appointments is around alcohol consumption in pregnancy. From the booking in appointment we ask questions about alcohol consumption pre conception, post conception but before finding out about the pregnancy AND once pregnancy confirmed. At this stage we inform women that there is no known safe level of alcohol in pregnancy and the recommendations are to abstain completely. If anyone continues to drink they are recommended to attend the specialized drug (illegal and cigarettes) and alcohol clinic and then asked at every antenatal appointment how many drinks they've consumed since their last appointment and with focus on the same message of no known safe level. Frankly it blows my mind that so many people still drink during pregnancy. I also find it hard to believe that so many people don't seem to know about the risks of alcohol and fetal alcohol syndrome. Maybe my view is clouded because I'm well educated on the subject and I'm not the average joe in this area, but I'm surprised each and every time I meet someone who claims they didn't know. I even had this argument with my sister when she was pregnant as she was also of the mindset that the occasional beer was ok and nothing I said would change her mind.

11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (03-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),atomicmama  (04-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-11-2015),just her chameleon  (03-11-2015),kim85  (03-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),smallpotatoes  (03-11-2015),Stretched  (04-11-2015),TheGooch  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Well I'll out myself. I drank alcohol through all of my pregnancies. Only 1-2 a week. But I did it and I never hid it nor am I ashamed of myself.

I am incredibly well educated with a high IQ. Judge away. I have 4 very healthy children 2 of which are borderline geniuses.

Not everyone who does it is stupid or clueless. 7 a day = a moron irregardless of pregnancy.
    Thank you for this post. I am also an intelligent woman who made my own informed choices. And we are not alone. There are some of us out there who have the ability to recognise the difference between a small glass of wine occasionally and taking it too far. To have that ability to make that decision for ourselves taken away is highly insulting.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...52091268307904

Eta: for the non clickers an article with a different perspective on safe levels of drinking and stats on the risks involved (interestingly quoting Australian studies as evidence).
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 03-11-2015 at 20:14.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (04-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (03-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I've always found it interesting that historically people on here are horrified at the thought of a pg woman smoking. Even cutting down to 1 or 2 a day. I've seen huge judgment of them. But then when drinking while pg comes up people happily admit to drinking a few here and there. That moderation is fine, that it doesn't cross the placenta that much.... but nicotine does? I believe it's bc alcohol is so ingrained in our culture whereas smoking is treated as disgusting and smokers are treated
    I think a heavy smoker who manages to cut down to 1-2 smokes per day while pregnant should be applauded for their efforts. Of course no cigarettes is better but to overcome such an addiction would be very difficult.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),beebs  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    smoking is very hard to quit but once you decide to do it, it's easy. i quit for my own health and also because I knew in the not too distant future we'd be looking at having kids and I didn't want quitting added to the stress of ttc and being utd.