+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    That's so sad @Sonja

It's very true that we don't have enough support out there for alcoholics. I don't know whether this is because of our culture surrounding alcohol in Australia...? We view drinking alcohol as a recreation, so it's not viewed as a serious threat like Ice for example, even though it affects more people...

I wish I had the answers to this...
    I don't think it's the culture of alcohol. I think it's because experts still don't seem to know why some drink to excess so is it a medical issue or a mental health issue? No one seems to want to take responsibility for it. Like @delerium said earlier government after government would rather deal with the outcomes of alcoholism rather than tackle the cause.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I don't think it's the culture of alcohol. I think it's because experts still don't seem to know why some drink to excess so is it a medical issue or a mental health issue? No one seems to want to take responsibility for it. Like @delerium said earlier government after government would rather deal with the outcomes of alcoholism rather than tackle the cause.
    I think addiction is mostly a mental issue, but I'm no expert and we know that support for mental health is rubbish in Australia.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (05-11-2015),Ngaiz  (06-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think addiction is mostly a mental issue, but I'm no expert and we know that support for mental health is rubbish in Australia.
    Completely agree with you there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think it's a whole lot of causes. I believe many families have genetic issues with addictive personalities. It's environmental - where children are not only exposed to excessive drinking but abuse, drug use, DV. I believe our country has a binge drinking culture. And I separate that from normalising alcohol bc countries in Europe have a very calm stance towards it, with people often drinking wine with dinner etc. Yet they don't have the issues we do. In other countries it's seen as something you drink that tastes good. Here in Oz alcohol is something that gets you drunk. That's an important distinction and one that statistically is proven to worsen addiction. Research shows that kids that grow up with tea totalers for parents and parents that drink heavily are far more likely to become alcoholics that kids that see Mum drink a glass of red then stop.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's never going to happen.
    If people knew they would get locked up for the duration of their pregnancy no one would admit to drinking.

There are services available (where I work) for women using drugs or alcohol in pregnancy, but people have to ask for help/want help/be honest.

For the pointy end of the spectrum there is probably not a whole lot that could be done, but for social/moderate drinkers education is the key. (And not a scare campaign with awful images).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I think we all know that sadly. Just workshopping ideas.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Well, it seems like a good start would be ensuring that everyone receives the same medical advice? Is there a way to mandate that, does anyone know?

And clear, explicit advice, not advice that people can hear the way they want to or which can mean different things to different people.

I'm trying to remember but I had to sign something at my 20 weeks checkup to say that the midwife had discussed 'xyz' with me (might have been breast feeding?). I wonder whether something like that would help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

NoteToSelf  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

I think one of the oroblems is the midwives or OBs often ask if you smoke or drink alcohol. People then lie as they know they'll be judged. The midwife or OB moves on to the next question.

Rather than asking you I'd suggest they tell you what happens if you smoke or drink when pregnant. Set it out in simple language the risks being taken and the potential for harm to the foetus. Doesn't have to be scary or graphic. Just facts.

At least then social drinkers might stop and think about it.
    Last edited by Sonja; 05-11-2015 at 22:54.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (06-11-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (06-11-2015),MissMuppet  (06-11-2015),VicPark  (06-11-2015)