+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Its a little difficult when two persons share the same body...
    I don't like where this discussion is going. What would stop fathers to sue because the mum is going to work every day?
    Driving thus exposing unborn child to accidents and pollution?

Just 1 example but there is no many possibilities...

Life would be hell
    I agree. I was in the UAE in Feb and was pregnant about 8-9wks. I wasn't allowed to get a massage as it 'could' lead to a miscarriage. Abortion is illegal there.

I was flabbergasted. I was happy to sign a waiver as I know my body and it was just a basic massage. Nothing fancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I agree. I was in the UAE in Feb and was pregnant about 8-9wks. I wasn't allowed to get a massage as it 'could' lead to a miscarriage. Abortion is illegal there.

I was flabbergasted. I was happy to sign a waiver as I know my body and it was just a basic massage. Nothing fancy.
    Same thing in Oz. DH booked a massage for my birthday but they wouldn't massage me because i was 11 weeks pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This stuff makes me thank my lucky stars. I had an unplanned pregnancy and didn't find out till 6 weeks. I drank half a bottle of wine on a few occasions in that 4-6 weeks of pregnancy window. I'm just so glad DS1 is fine!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    This stuff makes me thank my lucky stars. I had an unplanned pregnancy and didn't find out till 6 weeks. I drank half a bottle of wine on a few occasions in that 4-6 weeks of pregnancy window. I'm just so glad DS1 is fine!!
    So many of us have done just that. There's no placenta that early on so arguably you're not directly pumping alcohol into your embryo! Funnily enough I discovered I was Preg with DS after a big night - had all sorts of awful drinks, and had completed a full triathlon that day in 30 deg heat. DS is now a healthy 4 yr old. I don't think it matters so much in those early weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Nah not like those early weeks of pregnancy is the most crucial periods for development, organs are developing and growing and the vast majority of fetal defects occur.

Doesn't matter at all.
    I'm not a fan of sarcasm, I don't think this is the place for it.

I was simply stating that MANY women accidentally fall pregnant and continue drinking before they realise that they are.

Along with plenty of other pregnancy no-no's - diving, having spas/saunas, eating sushi bla bla bla. There is no evidence to suggest any of those things done during the period of conception is going to harm the developing embryo. And there is absolutely no reason to tell ANY woman that they may have damaged their embryo by drinking so early on, not realising they were pregnant - what on earth good does that do?!

Sorry I think your comment is really unfair and unfounded. The PP and myself did not drink knowing we were pregnant at the time, the microscopic spec developing at the time was not even connected to our blood supply. According to my dating scan a week or so later, the heart wouldn't have even have STARTED to form at the time I had my 'big night'. Just a bunch of cells.

I hope you can see how highly offensive and insensitive your comment was, whereas I am merely reassuring the PP that she is not alone in her mistake - not even slightly. She has no reason to feel bad or guilty and neither do I.

Rant over!

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (05-11-2015),Apple iPhart6  (05-11-2015),DailyDiversion  (05-11-2015),ExcuseMyFrench  (05-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-11-2015),Sonja  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Totally agree with you. It might be the law here but I think it's about time the laws were changed.

What about the rights of the fetus/baby?? Generally speaking....once a woman decides to continue on with a pregnancy with the intention of having that child (which again is her choice as in this day & age you can safely end a pregnancy if you so wish) regardless of whether she intends to raise the child or adopt etc then that's when a duty of care law should apply IMO.

ETA- My opinion on this has nothing to do with "having problems concieving" either, as it would still be the same if I'd conceived naturally as well though gotta love the presumption that only the women here who've had issues concieving feel especially outraged/overly judgemental about others behaviours etc regarding this topic!!!
    I get what you're saying but the article frankenmum posted about Tennessee passing a law where a woman was arrested under a new law that passed because she knowingly took drugs before having her baby made a very good point, that if we start criminalizing things pregnant women (addicts, alcoholics) do to their unborn babies then we are running the risk that they won't seek help for their addiction when they find out they are pregnant for fear of being punished. We're essentially making the problem worse because where a woman might have sought help before she won't now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I get what you're saying but the article frankenmum posted about Tennessee passing a law where a woman was arrested under a new law that passed because she knowingly took drugs before having her baby made a very good point, that if we start criminalizing things pregnant women (addicts, alcoholics) do to their unborn babies then we are running the risk that they won't seek help for their addiction when they find out they are pregnant for fear of being punished. We're essentially making the problem worse because where a woman might have sought help before she won't now.
    I understand what you're saying too Luv. And I do agree with PP's who have said more education needs to take place and that GP's/OB's etc should be advocating the "no alcohol" recommendation etc but I still believe that a woman should be made to be accountable for knowingly and deliberately inflicting harm/lifelong disability on her child when choosing to use/abuse drugs either legal or illegal despite knowing full well all the risks.

Some would say the guilt might be punishment enough, but that doesn't help the child who's life has been irrevocably damaged/changed to the point that they'll never have the opportunity of reaching their full potential or to be who they could of been or should have been had those totally avoidable choices not have been made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Whenever the topic of an unborn baby's personhood is discussed I struggle immensely with my mixed feelings. It's probably the topic I'm most confused and conflicted over. On one hand my heart says that a baby that can live without the mother (which is now around 22/23 weeks) should have personhood. My heart also says that if you can't stop using drugs or drinking (obviously I'm not talking about a drink a week) then you either abort at 12 weeks, or you clean up your act for your baby if you choose to keep it. The baby didn't choose to be conceived or be given disabilities.

Then my logical side says that this would lead to criminality and women would be even more unlikely to seek help. There will be more dumped babies, addicts in jail instead of in rehab. I've worked with quite a few girls and women who were addicts and pg. Most carried immense shame that they weren't strong enough to stop.

So yeah. I don't know where I stand.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (05-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

I chose this link as it has links to the actual news articles I was reminded of reading sunnygirl and meredithgrey's posts, how there is an increase in women enquiring about abortions as they fear they have damaged their baby by drinking before they knew they were pregnant. It's definitely worth considering that there is probably some unnecessary fear being instilled by the media.

https://fasdprevention.wordpress.com...ncy-awareness/
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 05-11-2015 at 17:22.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    There were a few different kids featured.

One girl who was featured was only about 9 or 10 from memory, and she's cared for by her birth mother, who genuinely seems remorseful and is doing her best to care for her needs.

Another young lady is now 25 years of age and was fostered out at age 15 because her behaviour was beyond her mother's control. This young lady still lives with her foster carer.

There was a fellow about 30 years of age who struggles daily and uses drugs and alcohol to cope with feeling suicidal every day. I'm unsure of his care situation, but his mother was interviewed.

They also featured briefly some children in an Aboriginal community where FAS-D was rife. A teenage boy who was profoundly effected was cared for by his father, the mother was out of the picture.
    There was also an example from New Zealand where a man's murder conviction was recently overturned because he was found to have FASD. They showed a video of when they took him to the crime scene. It made me feel a bit sick, he CLEARLY had no clue where the crime took place and they prompted him about where it was.

The Aboriginal man you referred to is incarcerated in WA for murder. Even the victim's mother doesn't believe the man is guilty and is hoping to get his conviction overturned. It was really sad!