+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had a chance to watch the show and I personally didn't learn anything new : binge drinking during pregnancy is bad.

And if mice drink alcohol at certain points during their gestation they get weird looking baby mice.

I understand that the safest choice in pregnancy is 0 alcohol but to me the guidelines is there because moderation can't be easily measured. Depends on the type of alcohol, depends if you are having food, depends how your body process alcohol etc.

But I'll be honest, if I'm pregnant again I'll probably have wine in moderation (which to me is special occasions - a few sips, so not even 1 standard drink).

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ExcuseMyFrench For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (05-11-2015),HollyGolightly81  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulahoop View Post
    DH had a bottle shop just near one of Perth's most popular maternity hospitals. All of the midwives and doctors used to tell the ladies they could go to his shop and he'd give them a Guinness (or stout or something like that) and he used to stock the tiny cans and give it to them free, it was 'common knowledge' that it would boost the iron intake and do them good. This was around 1989 - 1992.

I was a heavy drinker and smoker before I conceived DD. I didn't have a cigarette since the night before I found out I was pg (very early on and we weren't exactly TCC), and had no withdrawal symptoms quitting cold turkey. I did however have the tiniest amounts of alcohol (a tiny capful of in a cocktail at Bali, a small glass of champagne at our wedding). My ob said "just remember if you start feeling tipsy your baby's already passed out". For me it was more about the taste and experience of the drink and not the alcohol in it - I didn't believe that that tiny amount would have any affect on me or my baby and still don't.

Unfortunately if you give some people an inch they'll take a mile which is just plain stupid. I'm happy for fellow hubbers to judge me if they want, I stand by my decision.

As for the father giving up alcohol for the pregnancy, I see no point. Getting ****ed out with his mates all the time - that's a behavioural issue and unrelated - why can't my husband have a glass of wine if he wants?
    Oh, that maternity hospital! I do try not to judge but every time I go there, you see ladies out the front with their massively pregnant bellies smoking away. Makes me sad every time.

On the last point about the husband giving up alcohol, of course he doesn't have to! If you were a big drinker and seeing him drink might cause you to waiver or if you resented the fact he could drink when you couldn't then it might be nice for him to give it up out of solidarity for the position you're in!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Apple iPhart6 For This Useful Post:

Hulahoop  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default FAS-D on 4 Corners

Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    I had a chance to watch the show and I personally didn't learn anything new : binge drinking during pregnancy is bad.

And if mice drink alcohol at certain points during their gestation they get weird looking baby mice.

I understand that the safest choice in pregnancy is 0 alcohol but to me the guidelines is there because moderation can't be easily measured. Depends on the type of alcohol, depends if you are having food, depends how your body process alcohol etc.

But I'll be honest, if I'm pregnant again I'll probably have wine in moderation (which to me is special occasions - a few sips, so not even 1 standard drink).
    I was going to come back and respond 'but the report from the AAP a couple weeks ago found even small amounts of alcohol to be harmful...' But I decided to google their actual link quickly and even there when they are talking about 'light' drinking they seem to be talking about 1 drink a day, which they found could cause growth retardation and other issues. I think many of us who are on the bandwagon that an occasional drink is ok would probably consider one drink a day too much. I don't think somebody who is 25 weeks pregnant and having a small glass of wine at Christmas is harming their baby.

https://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-...Pregnancy.aspx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Slightly off topic but I just wonder how long it will be until a child that suffers from FAS-D turns around and sues their parents for basically knowingly giving their child a disability as a direct result of their actions.
    If someone can sue woolies for injuries caused by slipping over in their store, then why not a child sue their mother for drinking during their pregnancy and giving them a life long disability.

That said, I am one of those people who will have one drink at a special event or just because I really feel like one throughout my pregnancy. For me it's just a risk/reward thing and the reward is for my mental health - allowing myself the freedom to have a drink occasionally helps me relax and feel happy during my pregnancy rather than completely socially isolated. Every decision is a balancing act and I think it's important that we can allow ourselves some little pleasures if we perceive the risk to be low enough.

This is taking it to the extreme, but just to make a point, we would never judge a mother for taking anti depressants during pregnancy even though they aren't category a drugs , so why judge for the occasional drink if it honestly is only occasionally and let's the mum to be relax and enjoy herself in a social situation ??

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sejimumma For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (05-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejimumma View Post
    Slightly off topic but I just wonder how long it will be until a child that suffers from FAS-D turns around and sues their parents for basically knowingly giving their child a disability as a direct result of their actions.
    If someone can sue woolies for injuries caused by slipping over in their store, then why not a child sue their mother for drinking during their pregnancy and giving them a life long disability.

That said, I am one of those people who will have one drink at a special event or just because I really feel like one throughout my pregnancy. For me it's just a risk/reward thing and the reward is for my mental health - allowing myself the freedom to have a drink occasionally helps me relax and feel happy during my pregnancy rather than completely socially isolated. Every decision is a balancing act and I think it's important that we can allow ourselves some little pleasures if we perceive the risk to be low enough.

This is taking it to the extreme, but just to make a point, we would never judge a mother for taking anti depressants during pregnancy even though they aren't category a drugs , so why judge for the occasional drink if it honestly is only occasionally and let's the mum to be relax and enjoy herself in a social situation ??
    Because antidepressants are a necessity for some women pregnant or not, alcohol isn't..that's a choice though I understand the point you're trying to make. The 2 aren't comparable IMO.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

hunnybunny  (06-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015),Ngaiz  (05-11-2015),TheGooch  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Antidepressants are a medication used to treat illness which can be life threatening.

They can in no way be compared to alcohol which is completely unnecessary.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Adoralicious  (04-11-2015),BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-11-2015),hunnybunny  (06-11-2015),kiwimum890  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A child should never be able to sue a mother for what was done in utero.

There was actually a case in the UK where carers of a 7 yo suffering FAS tried to sue her mother. The woman was 17 at the time of her pregnancy and drank heavily (a bottle of vodka and several beers a day). From what I know they didn't have standing to sue.

Cases like this deprive women of the right and ability to control their own lives while pregnant. And that is incredibly troubling.

Too much sugar while pregnant may cause diabetes in a baby. Should the mother be held responsible?

I feel the mood on BH at the moment is against the minority view and I respect that some who hold these views are women who have struggled to conceive and therefore may see the actions of those who are pregnant through outraged eyes.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-11-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (05-11-2015),misskittyfantastico  (04-11-2015),MissMuppet  (04-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that a mother should never be able to be sued for what happened during pregnancy. That's a slippery slope and is quite a scary thought. Imagine if kids could sue parents for every mistake they made during 'parenting'! My goodness, I have enough anxiety in my life and carry around my parenting regrets like a heavy sack as it is - I would hate to add fear of being sued by my children on top of that.

I think what's required is simply a consistent message from doctors, nurses etc.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (04-11-2015),BettyW  (05-11-2015),misskittyfantastico  (04-11-2015),NoteToSelf  (04-11-2015),TheGooch  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh totally not saying that they should be allowed to sue ( although re reading what I wrote it may not sound that way), just wondering if someone will be able to make a case for it some day in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I know it's a slippery slope... However I can't help but *feel* that when there is a rock solid case of negligent behaviour (a kid having FASD as the mum drank 6 beers a night , 4 nights per week when there is a record of her doctor telling her not to) that it's time for the state to intervene. If you can't sue someone who without a doubt knowingly and negligently causes harm to another then what's the point in having lawyers.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (04-11-2015),just her chameleon  (04-11-2015),LaDiDah  (04-11-2015)