+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I did shared care with the middies but it wasn't until 20 weeks onwards. They def did do a detailed health screen (not sure of the term) with me which included whether I smoked, drank, did drugs etc. My Ob also discussed A&OD with me from the beginning. When I said to the MW's I didn't drink or smoke they were pleased so clearly felt zero consumption was best. But it seems different women have different experiences.

I also wonder if some women aren't truthful for fear of stigma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I really think stigma, fear of judgement and shame is holding back this issue.

I went away with girlfriends on the weekend and my pregnant friend had a glass of wine each night with dinner.

When I saw the 4 corners program I really wanted to share it on FB as I want as many people as possible to see it but I was fearful she would think I was aiming it at her (I wasn't) so did not do it.

I'd like to see a public health campaign encouraging men/women to abstain in support of their pregnant partners. It certainly wouldn't hurt them to have 9 months off drinking too.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (04-11-2015),mkj  (04-11-2015),Stretched  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Didn't watch the program but just had a quick google to see the facial features they're talking about. My DD1 has a few of those, but I didn't drink when pregnant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    Didn't watch the program but just had a quick google to see the facial features they're talking about. My DD1 has a few of those, but I didn't drink when pregnant.
    I was told by the genetics team with my daughter. .that we all have some form of dysmorphic features. Yes. .seriously.
    The features they talk about are subtle, and can happen without any syndrome.
    Eg. A lot of people have epicanthal folds but that doesn't mean they have a syndrome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    When I had my first (21 years ago) the obs actively encouraged women to have a glass of red with their dinner saying it was good for mum and bub.
    I don't drink so it didn't affect me. But I have 4 out 6 six kids with special needs so god knows what I did they may have caused their problems.

As mums we do the best we can.
    Hugs to anyone that feels judged or look down on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    But I have 4 out 6 six kids with special needs so god knows what I did they may have caused their problems.
    I'm sure you didn't do anything

I followed all the guidelines very strictly and had a pregnancy rife with complications and my DS has special needs.

It's really luck of the draw a lot of the time. I feel a bit ripped off when I hear of people who say 'I *insert going against guidelines activity here* during pregnancy and my child is fiiiine', but mostly I'm grateful that I didn't do anything I shouldn't have, or sure as hell I would turn it into a reason to blame myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    When I had my first (21 years ago) the obs actively encouraged women to have a glass of red with their dinner saying it was good for mum and bub.
    I don't drink so it didn't affect me. But I have 4 out 6 six kids with special needs so god knows what I did they may have caused their problems.

As mums we do the best we can.
    Hugs to anyone that feels judged or look down on.
    Hugs! There is nothing you did or didn't do to cause your children's special needs.

There is nothing that any mum does, or doesn't do, to cause ASD, down syndrome, or any genetic condition/syndrome.

The difference with FASD is that it is caused by something the mother has done. That's not to say the mother the did it with ill intent, or even knew that she was doing it (didn't know she was pregnant, was told it was ok, etc).

I think we all know that are *some* mothers out there who drink in excess & take drugs while pregnant knowing that it can have devestating effects on their baby. But let's not tar all mums who might have an odd glass of wine with the same brush!

More awareness needs to be raised about this, but if everyone is judging and condemning, it will stop mothers from coming forward and getting the early intervention that their child needs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (04-11-2015),Tamtam  (04-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Unfortunately you don't meet women until 12+ weeks, so it really needs to start with the GP at the very first presentation to them for pregnancy.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. A lot of damage could be done in 12 (or 20!) weeks. Not everyone goes to their GP for confirmation but when they do, that's when the conversation needs to take place. That's when they need to be given information on FASD and the possible long term repercussions if they choose to continue to drink during their pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    More work needs to be done in respect to the father's health immediately prior to conception too

It is known that male fertility is affected by age, medication and environment, so over indulging in alcohol and using drugs must also effect the health of sperm as well.

(Hi all, just passing through)
    Last edited by WorkingClassMum; 04-11-2015 at 11:35. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The mum drinking a bottle a night suffered chronic mental health problems and had been medicated for something like 18 years. Her gp told her she needed to come off her medication when pregnant, so instead she self medicated with alcohol. I wish she had been given another option. Perhaps there was a med that was safer than alcohol, and her previous meds, she could have taken instead. I feel for her.

I birthed through a major public hospital and was asked several times about my drinking habits. I was told on several occasions to abstain during pregnancy. My gp (who is certainly not an alarmist), was very clear about not drinking. I just can't imagine Drs in the last few years (since the abstain message has been around) telling women any amount is ok. It boggles my mind tbh.

Hopefully this message starts getting through.