+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default End of Tenancy

Hi everyone, hoping someone here can help me.

We are in the process of moving. Our lease is up and we have an agreed upon leave date of Thursday 12th November.

The agent responsible (8th one in 6 months I might add) for this property (that we are leaving) is keen to inspect and take pictures for advertisement- fair enough.

She called H last Friday and asked if she could pop by to assess the need for repairs before getting the advertisement ball rolling. H said yes, and she said she would be by that afternoon, around 2/3pm.
    She turned up at 10am- 2 hours after the call. I answered the door, she said "Hi I am the agent, coming to look at the property". No name given, and she just walked in.
    She had a camera and starting taking photos of the rooms. She asked if we had any problems/saw need for repairs, I went through with her.
    She left. All in all she was there less than 6 minutes. She seemed content enough- no major work needs doing, just some general maintenance that they had been putting off.

That afternoon, around 5, she called H in a panic saying the house was "a state" and we had until Monday to "sort it out" as she wants to advertise, then she hung up.

I was furious. Yes the house is untidy- we are in the midst of moving! It's not messy or dirty, but there are packed boxes in each room (against the wall neatly), and the sunroom has bags full of stuff we wish to throw out- again placed neatly against the wall.
    I hit the roof. I told H to call her back and say that if she wishes to arrange an inspection for Monday, to do so properly and without threat. And to also tell her that I have taken pictures of the "state" of the house and forwarded them to the landlord.

Now, am I being unreasonable? It is too much to expect that she should know there are going to be boxes, etc as we are in the midst of moving?
    Am I wrong to expect that she should be clear about when she wishes to take pictures, and not just turn up with a camera? (I mean we have pics of the kids up, and don't want those advertised, so at the very least would like to know to take them down in time).

We have told her that removalists are coming today and again on Tuesday next week. We also have an end of lease clean, skip, and council clean up organised for Tuesday and Wednesday next week. So by Wed at midday, the house will be spotless and empty.

We have until Thursday the 12th to vacate... is it wrong to assume that we actually have until then to ensure the property is thoroughly clean and vacated?

(I'll admit, my initial meeting with her may be clouding my view. We have never met her before, and this is the first time she has seen this property).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It was illegal of her to come early first of all. An agent has to give two weeks written notice to inspect the house but as your husband agreed then I'm guessing it was ok to come earlier but to come hours early certainly wasn't fair.
    You do not have to have the house ready/clean and cleared until the final date.

What state are you in? I can send you a link of your tenancy rights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Apples1234 View Post
    It was illegal of her to come early first of all. An agent has to give two weeks written notice to inspect the house but as your husband agreed then I'm guessing it was ok to come earlier but to come hours early certainly wasn't fair.
    You do not have to have the house ready/clean and cleared until the final date.

What state are you in? I can send you a link of your tenancy rights.
    Hi, it's actually 7 days written notice (for inspection), but as you said H agreed.
    He was very clear on no photos though, as she said she was coming to "look only and assess the need for repairs".

We are in NSW and I just read through all our rights... but it gets grey once a "yes come on in" is given.

It IS 2 days' notice to assess repairs though- so that's why I am annoyed she came so much earlier. H said yes, but she gave a time.
    Last edited by DT75; 02-11-2015 at 09:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband is a real estate agent so let me know if you need any more help. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My husband is a real estate agent so let me know if you need any more help. X
    Thanks, H's brother is a property manager, and is the Chair of Real Estate Institute of NSW, so he can help. But I just wanted first hand experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd ask for the "final inspection" to be done on your exit date.
    It sounds like she wanted to have a peek for damage but didn't say it was the final inspection...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'd ask for the "final inspection" to be done on your exit date.
    It sounds like she wanted to have a peek for damage but didn't say it was the final inspection...
    I think she just wants to take pics to advertise... which is fair enough, but god just tell us.
    We haven't had an inspection in 2 years, as they keep changing agents, and then they don't turn up.

We have asked for final inspection to be done then, yes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Property managers are like vampires - once you invite them in they take over! They really should have previous photos of the vacant property ( did you see photos of it when you saw it advertised?) and yes next time you are within your rights to say wait until we have moved or packed , just email her and say her communication was not very good and as per your lease agreement the home will be clean and tidy by vacate day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Property managers are like vampires - once you invite them in they take over! They really should have previous photos of the vacant property ( did you see photos of it when you saw it advertised?) and yes next time you are within your rights to say wait until we have moved or packed , just email her and say her communication was not very good and as per your lease agreement the home will be clean and tidy by vacate day
    H got this place before i met him, and he can't recall if there were photos. He did take some when he moved in though, and we have the original copies (ours and the RE's) of the condition reports.

I'll keep in mind to say, "sorry but you will need to wait until we have packed/moved"... didn't occur to me as I am happy to have them come in, but need notice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whoa! That's really unfair of her to rock up like that, then get flustered that the house isn't 'photo ready' because you're in the process of packing/moving!

I would be really annoyed too. I understand they want to list the property to get a tenant in ASAP, but it's not your responsibility to have the house in a pristine state until you actually hand in the keys. Expecting otherwise is unreasonable.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

DT75  (03-11-2015)