+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Defrosted breast milk tasting soapy/sour?

Hi,

I've been banking up a bit of breast milk in freezer bags and only put in the freeze as soon as its pumped.

I defrosted some the other day by leaving the bag out a bit at room temp for maybe 15 minutes and then letting the bag sit in a bowl of warm water.

Bubs refused the bottle and after tasting it realised it was very soapy and sour and i definitely wouldn't drink it! I compared to the smallest amount fresh from my breast and that was sweet and what I assume was normal.

Background is bubs won't take a bottle anyways and it was the first attempt in a while so can't be used as a yard stick.

My question is - Was I defrosting it properly and is it meant to taste that horrible?

Thanks in advance x
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 01-11-2015 at 20:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've not BF/expressed etc but here's the link to the Australian Breastfeeding Association website regarding expressing/storing/defrosting breast milk.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-...ing-breastmilk

As long as the milk is used as soon as its defrosted I can't see why it tasted weird. It hadn't been in the freezer too long? The bag was tightly sealed so no freezer taste got in?

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reason is usually high lipase in your breast milk gives it a soapy sour smell and often taste, scalding the milk can be a way to overcome this. It's not off its just how it reacts when frozen and thawed. If your baby doesn't mind the taste then I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's been stored correctly and used in the correct amount of time.

There's some good articles out there if you google soapy smelling Frozen breast milk.

I think milk meg has a good article.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueLips For This Useful Post:

amyd  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, I had this too, BlueLips is spot on. Scalding the milk fixed it for me right away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Also, I have heard that shaking the milk once it has been frozen then defrosted can change the taste. Swirl gently only...