+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Comfort once you stop swaddling?

Hi,

Apologies in advance for the long post.

I have a 4mth old DD who had been in the Love to Dream hands up swaddle since newborn. The last two nights I've started working on unswaddling and moving towards a hands free sleeping bag for four reasons:

1. The GP said I should before she rolls and the general consensus is safety first at this age. Also mentally preparing us for her being on her own in the cot ( and her own room ) at 6mths. She's with me in our room now but fast outgrowing the bassinet! I'd feel safer knowing she a hands free and potentially able to roll. ( she's not currently rolling btw )

2. I've noticed that even tho she sleeps well unswaddled in the pram or car she won't at a friends house if out for the arvo unless swaddled. I'm also off back home to the UK at Xmas and will use a portacot when it's cold and will be easier to keep her warm in a thick sleeping bag.

3. I figure it will be harder to unswaddle later when I'm also navigating solids, weaning, back to work, daycare etc.

4. You have to do it sometime right!?

Last night was rocky and she's taken a couple more resettles before going down but is sleeping once down as she was before.

No dummy or comforter toy but she's started sucking her fingers/thumb while falling asleep.

My question is: am I mean for not giving her a comfort replacer and am I setting myself up for a fall later on?

I had a security blanket and sucked my thumb till 14 ( due to unstable household ) so know how hard it is to wean off later.

Not sure if these comforter toys are a gimic and more hassle than they're worth? Will she be OK without one?

I don't want the poor girl feeling stressed with only her thumb!

Thank you for reading this far!
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 01-11-2015 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find that the sleeping bag itself became a comforter for my little lady. I did a hands down sleeping bag with arm holes that could be opened up once she was ready to unswaddle so she was familiar with its smell and feel I put her in it around 5 months and she is still in it now with arms out like a sleeping bag at nearly 10 months old. I do use a dummy as a settling comfort item too but that's a matter of if your one needs it or it's something your comfortable to introduce.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. As she's a hands up swaddle I didn't buy the zipped arms to wean off. I just untucked them and kept the bottom on ( I figured an expensive buy for such a short transition period! )

What are the signs that a baby needs a dummy??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't remember having any issues with moving DD (14 months) from being swaddled to a sleeping bag, but she has found her own comfort habits. She sucks her left sleeve when she's tired or is trying to go to sleep, which is frustrating on hot nights as she has to have long sleeves on. But really it's ok. Also, her sleeping bag is a comfort item and part of her bedtime routine. She knows when we put her in it to start winding down for sleep. She will also go and get it sometimes when she's tired. I don't feel mean for not introducing a comfort item or dummy, makes life easier I think. Good luck with things, I think sleep gets a bit tricky around your DDs age for a lot of people!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Mad84
    Thank you so much! I think maybe it's me feeling mean and projecting my worry onto her but she's probably OK. I just fed her and she's straight back down.

You just see all these comforters and think 'should she have one?'

I just don't want her to be dependant on 'things' so if we don't happen to have them she'll be OK to suck her thumb and go to sleep wherever.
    I'm sure she'll get attached organically to some toy at some point anyways! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and yes.. The wheels have well and truly fallen off regarding sleep! It was bad anyways but it's nearly every hour or two wake ups atm 😐
    Also kind of why I did it. The sleeps so bad anyways that I may as well chuck in taking the swaddle off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Makes sense to me!

I'm sure it will work out well for you, and not having a comforter will be one less thing to lose. I swear I just shed baby-related stuff wherever I go, I'm glad the only important thing I have to remember is DD! Good luck with it.