+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fatigued toddler

Hi there. I'm new. I'm not sure I have a question I just worry bout my little man.
    He is 2.6 years old and for a long time now we feel that he is unusually tired. He sleeps well, (average 7pm-7am with a 1-2 hour nap).
    He often seems a bit spaced out and will lay on the floor Playing with toys and doesn't generally run around full of energy like other toddlers. (Although he does have bursts of this now and then).
    We had a blood test done in August. He was found to be anaemic, the said the level should be 5 at minimum and he was a 4. Has been on iron liquid since. He is a fussy eater.
    Anyway he seemed to improve a bit not anymore. Still seems to lack energy. Going to take him back to doc soon I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My near 4 year old DD will still sleep the same amount 7-7 then a 1-3 hour nap during the day when she can otherwise 6pm bedtime.
    I would continue the iron as recommended by your GP, get him out and about in the sun and to the park for walks. He might need to be more active outdoors than in.
    Obviously check with your doctor again too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Does he snore at night at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How is he with food? Will he eat a variety of foods or is he a picky eater?

Did the doctor have any thoughts as to why he is anaemic?

Is there a history of coeliacs or food intollerances in the family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does he get enough sunlight?

I would also look at his sleeping even if he sleeps open mouth he can have apnea. Could be his tonsils.

Def get second opinion by a paedtrician I would

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well we snores sometimes but mainly if he has a cold or something. We have an appointment in December with paediatrician but that is because he has language and social development issues.
    He is at Childcare 3 days a week and they spend a lot of time outside but on the days I am home we prob could do with more sun. I think his vitamin d was checked in the blood test but I'm not sure. I know she tested him for coeliac and that was clear.
    Sleep apnoea or something similar had crossed my mind but as we haven't noticed him snoring didn't think much of it.
    He has language delay so it is sad and frustrating when he's so tired and out of it he doesn't interact much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    How is he with food? Will he eat a variety of foods or is he a picky eater?

Did the doctor have any thoughts as to why he is anaemic?

Is there a history of coeliacs or food intollerances in the family?
    Yes he is a fussy eater. He doesn't get much eat or veggies. Doc didn't say much other than try to get him to eat more meat and vitamin c for absorption.
    He was tested for coeliac but it was negative.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    Does he snore at night at all?
    Not that we know of u less he has had a cold etc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mamapanda For This Useful Post:

Bond Girl  (02-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes a friend of mine has a DS with anemia. ..He has had ongoing tests/bloods to keep track of it as it seems to fluctuate. Might be time to head back to the Dr for another blood test..oral iron is notoriously poor to absorb, it might not be enough and his iron stores may be becoming more depleted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Yes a friend of mine has a DS with anemia. ..He has had ongoing tests/bloods to keep track of it as it seems to fluctuate. Might be time to head back to the Dr for another blood test..oral iron is notoriously poor to absorb, it might not be enough and his iron stores may be becoming more depleted.
    Thank you for your reply. He has a form to have a follow up test in a few weeks. I really hope it's gone up. The iron liquid is not good on the tummy.