+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help!! 10 week old only sleeping 1 hour at night

Can anyone offer any advice please or reassure me that this is normal and she will eventually settle into a routine.......

First time mum to a 10 week old beautiful girl, we seemed to have it all figured out until the past couple of weeks where she's changed her sleeping habits.

Her first sleep used to be 4-5 hours then she would wake for a feed and then wake every 2-3 hours after that. Now her first sleep is 3-4 hours and she wakes up every 30 mins - 1 hour after that.

She is EBF, I can't get her to take a dummy but she does suck on her fist to soothe herself. Sleep routine - wrapped in her love to dream swaddle, fed where she will fall asleep completely or be 80% there so I rock her to sleep and then she is placed in her bassinet. I can't seem to put her down where she's 80% sleepy as she just wakes up straight away, starts crying and won't settle.

I'm losing hope that she'll eventually fall into good sleeping habits

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try dressing her warmer, by adding a singlet or an extra blanket. Not sure if this is the issue but it worked when my little one was waking hourly, he was too cold. Worth a try?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Legwarmer For This Useful Post:

littlemermaid  (02-11-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    The issue is that imagine if you went to sleep on your nice comfy bed, all cuddles up and cozy with the person that you love, only to micro-wake at the end of a sleep cycle and fin yourself on the cold kitchen floor with no idea what has happened or how you got there. It's similar to what your dd feels- she drifts off in your arms as she feeds, and wakes at the end of her sleep cycle to find you're not there and she freaks out.

Trust me- my kids did it too. I'm awesome at diagnosing that problem, terrible at fixing it! If you are into gentle sleep methods and you are willing to put in some work I recommend borrowing, begging or stealing "the no cry sleep solution" by Elizabeth Pantley.
    You need to learn to put her down before she drifts off, she needs to learn to go to sleep without feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is bubs getting enough milk? Maybe her tum isn't full. It's been a few years since I had a newborn but I will be having a refresher crash course once mine arrives in March lol...but as the lady above says, she has to learn to get to sleep herself. I hope she settles for you soon, as no sleep turns any sane woman nuts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Been there. I bed share. Solves all the fuss of getting out of bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies

Will add a thicker blanket tonight to see if that helps and will get that book this week and give it a shot. I know she needs to learn to settle herself as I can't carry on like this. Currently I end up getting into the spare bed half way through the night and co sleep with her just so I can get some sleep

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Could be growth spurt/wonder week? Honestly my DS did not sleep longer than 3 hours for over 12 months and only at 2.5 does he manage to 'sleep through' to 4am usually. It does pass. I co slept. I used to pfft at co sleeping but honestly for me and my family it was a life saver. And my DS does self settle. He is just generally clingy and needs some extra help sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, about this putting them down when 80% tired & letting them drift off by themselves thing... My baby is 5 months, he will do this very occasionally, but mostly needs feeding & rocking & singing to sleep. Plus white noise and swaddling! Don't beat yourself up about this issue... Sometimes it's a pain in the *** doing the bedtime thing when you're knackered but a lot of the time now it's straightforward and when I look at my sweet baby asleep in my arms because I cuddled him & softly sang Beatles songs it is a really lovely motherhood moment for me. Then he goes in his cot & all is peaceful.
    Until he wakes up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Been there. I bed share. Solves all the fuss of getting out of bed.
    This.
    I done this with my DD. Now with DS he starts out in the bassinet for the first big sleep while we are still up, then when he wakes up I just co sleep for the rest of the night. He sleeps so much better.

Although I understand some people are not comfortable with bed sharing, but it totally worked for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get a white noise app and play rain on tin roof (not too loud) but get her into the routine.

I always put two singlets on kids during this weather as its bit in between and I've still got the warm sheets on.

Have you got a swing? My kids slept in a swing for ages or I bought the pram inside