+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Bpa free canned goods

We are moving towards healthier eating, and have been purchasing macro organics range from woollies. I'm now concerned over bpa as they have admitted the lining may contain small traces.
    Does anyone know of bpa free organic tinned foods

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bpa free canned goods

Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    We are moving towards healthier eating, and have been purchasing macro organics range from woollies. I'm now concerned over bpa as they have admitted the lining may contain small traces.
    Does anyone know of bpa free organic tinned foods
    I'm not sure you can ever be 100% certain there is no BPA. What kinds of goods are you buying? Could you possibly look at dried/frozen instead of canned?

Thanks
    Reviews
    After being oblivious to this until last week (thanks to another hubber) I found that almost ALL cans are lined with a BPA resin and companies are not obliged to disclose this so you need to research the brands yoy buy individually. I stoped buying my Aldi tuna because I couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lentils ( which I can and have started to swap), chickpeas and tinned tomatoes
    Chickpeas I could swap for dried but tinned tomatoes will be tricky

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    just did some reading up on this and apparently BPA free canned foods aren't necessarily better as they replace the BPA lining with some other chemical resin lining.

basically there's no way to safely know whether your canned goods are BPA/chemical free or not.

the bits I read also said acidic food such as canned tomatoes and canned fruits can leach more BPA than non acidic foods so avoiding the acidic stuff in cans is always a good idea. might just be better to buy the tomato passata in glass jars than the canned tomatoes.

I eat those 95g cans of tuna for lunch each day (just one can a day x 4 days) and I'm now rethinking that.

we don't generally eat much out of cans at all, usually it's only canned beans (lentils, kidney etc) or my aforementioned tuna.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Lentils ( which I can and have started to swap), chickpeas and tinned tomatoes
    Chickpeas I could swap for dried but tinned tomatoes will be tricky
    With tomatoes you could buy overripe "cooking" tomatoes from a fruit and veg shop and use them in cooking. Just chop out any really manky bits. If you were really enthusiastic you could preserve your own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Since learning about BPA in cans I have pretty much just stopped using cans. I've found I can just sub chopped tomatoes for canned tomatoes in recipes, I make my own coconut milk in the thermomix if I need any. I buy dried chickpeas and soak. Tuna is the only thing I have no alternative for, but I've pretty much stopped eating it, it has become a `sometimes food' (how sad is that!?!?).

I wish there were stricter laws in this country, making really good choices is almost impossible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mum use to make own sauce growing up once a month and freeze( we would call it our alibrandi day) might have to start back on this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Eden organics ( at most organic shops) have BPA free cans - I get their tinned lentils and chick peas and their tomatoes are in a glass jar not a can

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

maternidade  (01-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    thanks for that. are they Australia wide?