+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a huge fan of getting rescued dogs as they all deserve a loving home but please be careful where you get one from especially with children as usually their backgrounds & how they have previously been treated are largely unknown.

Organisations like the RSPCA & Australian Working Dog Rescue are great because they will work with you to find a dog that suits your lifestyle. My friend got one from the working dog rescue & they continued to communicate with her after she had the dog to make sure it was fitting in with her & her little girl. She was also given a trial with the dog first which I'm pretty sure the RSPCA don't do. I thought this was great & they don't want to see their dogs back at the pound etc so they were wonderfully supportive.

Good luck OP, having a dog is so nice for your kids & I hope you can find one that suits your family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The rescue homes will be good at matching you with a dog that suits your needs as they really endeavour to find the dogs their right forever home. I would suggest having your local vet give them a once over though just so you know if there will be any expenses/predictable conditions with the particular breed you have chosen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SoReady For This Useful Post:

Olive Oil  (02-05-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Mod-Nomsie
    I too am all for rescuing dogs but if you are looking for a pure bred with papers, contact your controlling body.

There is one in every state! DogsNSW, DogsVIC, DogsQLD etc.

I worked for dogs New South Wales for 6 years and my Aunty and Mother are currently the CEO and Secretary to the CEO and they deal with everything to do with the dogs paperwork from the breed standards, rules and regulations, obedience training, complaints, shows and more.

You can go to ANKC.org.au for a full list of the correct breed standards of all breeds to see what they are meant to look like and what their faults are.

I hope this helps.